Other Post The Computer Clinic

Is there any patches or something in order to get Rainbow 6 Lockdown to work on Win10 ..

Yeah compatibility mode might work. But it is a 16 year old game. You might need a virtual Windows XP machine to run it or something like that.

I use D-Fend Reloaded for really old Windows and DOS games. So if compatibility mode won't work, that might be another option.

@colin traveller

• This version of StarForce DRM does not work on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.[2][3] For supported versions of Windows the StarForce driver may need to be updated manually using SFUPDATE.
  • When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below %PROGRAMFILES%, %PROGRAMDATA%, or %WINDIR% might be redirected to %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore on Windows Vista and later (more details).
File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in ~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/15000/ in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (15000) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.

SSD are still cheap these days. You could get a value 240GB one, install XP an W7 on it and have it a secondary boot device for old games.
I have a 8800GTX and an X850XT for old games, i got an Creative XFI Music for EAX and i am looking now for a cheap LGA775 or AM2 motherboard to complete my "retro" build for old/nostalgic games :)

Is there any patches or something in order to get Rainbow 6 Lockdown to work on Win10 ..
Is it available on Steam? If so the versions they have usually been fixed to work with W10

I play XCOM - the original one and terror from the deep every so often - from start to end - those games never get old

It is on Ubisoft's store https://store.ubi.com/ie/game?pid=56c4948888a7e300458b47d4&dwvar_56c4948888a7e300458b47d4_Platform=pcdl&edition=Standard Edition&source=detail

Have you checked the new XCOM's ? i loved them all even Chimera Squad, also War 40K Mechanicus is good if you are in to TBS.
Yes got all of them in my steam account - I am a bit of a fan of Sudden Strike as well

But still like the classic one - it's an evil game - you never get the same game twice

Just playing Pillars of Eternity - Deadfire II - and the more I have played the more fun it is

I am working from home at the moment so all the big screens are dedicated to work laptops - as soon as they have gone back - I can get my gaming laptops back on those - its not much fun playing on 17" screens

Can't wait to finish Farcry 5 - 6 is due for release soon

Also, there are rumours of Sniper Elite 5 as well

What about a used Windows 7 box or a Windows 7 VM? i am seeing Rainbow 6 for sale on GOG.COM still.

Been using Mozilla for years and presently there is an issue with Youtube there is rather annoying interference .. . no matter when i press on the keyboard ie the spacebar it auto pauses the video Bloody annoying .. and affects when posting a comment making the keyboard impossible to use .. goes all fubar

Deleted Microsoft Edge ... a few days ago . then the latest windows upday auto re installs it .. it's becoming like Norton Antivirus ..an unwantable progam

Colin, you can run a Powershell script that will remove it. But I'd leave it if I was you - it's harmless. The latest version of Edge is just Google Chrome with a Microsoft wrapper around it.

What really bugs me is that you still cannot really de-install Microsoft Internet Explorer. Deactivate? Yes. Maybe completely go away? Nope...

IE is completely obsolete. Even if you open it, pretty much any website you go to will tell you to upgrade/change to another browser.

Kon'nichiwa, ladies and gentlemen (and anything in between).

I have run into a bit of a pickle with a family member's PC.

It was in stand-by mode when the power in the apartment failed due to a thunder storm. But now, it can't be restored from stand-by anymore.

When it's on the grid, the damn thing's indicating lights merrily blink to themselves (to show it's in stand-by), but it doesn't react to any input whatsoever.

It's old as heck, but I've been asked to see if it can be saved. I thought about a BIOS reset, but would that be of any use considering it doesn't even boot?

Kon'nichiwa, ladies and gentlemen (and anything in between).

I have run into a bit of a pickle with a family member's PC.

It was in stand-by mode when the power in the apartment failed due to a thunder storm. But now, it can't be restored from stand-by anymore.

When it's on the grid, the damn thing's indicating lights merrily blink to themselves (to show it's in stand-by), but it doesn't react to any input whatsoever.

It's old as heck, but I've been asked to see if it can be saved. I thought about a BIOS reset, but would that be of any use considering it doesn't even boot?
Is it a laptop?

Have you tried holding the power button for 5s when you switch it on?

Or remove the battery for a while?

What version of windows is on it 10?

It's a desktop computer with Windows 8.1. I've tried the power reset button, and unplugged the system for a while to make sure its completely power-less. Nothing. There's no apparent way to get it out of stand-by again.

I had a similar problem with my own computer once, unplugging it after forgetting it was in stand-by. Once power had been restored, it didn't want to boot at first – until I resetted the whole thing.

It's a desktop computer with Windows 8.1. I've tried the power reset button, and unplugged the system for a while to make sure its completely power-less. Nothing. There's no apparent way to get it out of stand-by again.

I had a similar problem with my own computer once, unplugging it after forgetting it was in stand-by. Once power had been restored, it didn't want to boot at first – until I resetted the whole thing.
if you can find this in the bios or something like it
Settings | Advanced | Wakeup Event Setup

set the bottom three options (resume from usb/mouse/keyboard) in the list to enabled, enabled and any key

reboot and wiggle the mouse

Thanks, but I can't even access the Bios. (I thought about doing a hard reset, though.) Like I say, from the outside it's as if that thing is just in stand-by mode. Only that it doesn't wake up. No boot-up, nothing.

Back