Photos Spanish Civil War, (1936–39)

I didn´t find any photo made during the Civil War of combatants with a Vetterli Vitali rifle @NebrHogger , sorry. At the beginning of the war both sides used a great variation of weapons and munitions, specially republican side and politic groups milicians , but as the war advanced calibers and models were standardized.

Thank you for checking, Mokordo! Republicans received a supply of Vetterli rifles from the Soviet Union in 10.4x47R caliber but not a good supply of ammo. Fascists sent Vetterlis converted to 6,5 Carcano caliber to Nationalists. As well as I've ever found they were used for drilling and possibly by rear echelon units like prison guards.

I have several of both in my collection - all are marked 'Made in Italy' or just 'Made Italy'. A few have the MP-8 with bomb cartouche. I'll keep looking for pics of them in use but I'm not holding my breath.

Best regards! Steve

I have several of both in my collection - all are marked 'Made in Italy' or just 'Made Italy'. A few have the MP-8 with bomb cartouche. I'll keep looking for pics of them in use but I'm not holding my breath.

Are they still in use? The recoil of that weapon (those wich are not converted to the Italian caliber) must destroy your shoulder.

Mokordo,

The Vetterli rifle has enough weight, recoil isn't severe at all. They're also quite accurate with the proper bullet. I have one in 10.4 caliber I shoot regularly - the rest are for my Spanish Civil War Grouping and those used in Italian East Africa.

These two were in Spain. Both had handguards added while there. Having examined them closely, I believe both were altered by the same armorer - possibly a Republican.

0000.m1Vett.jpg

Last edited:
Group portrait of Australians who have returned to Australia from Spain during the Spanish Civil War.
Identified top: Mr McNeill. Centre row from left: Mr Franklin and Mr McEnvoy. Front row from left: Mr Charles Walters; Mr Riley; Mr Carter. The group are holding flags including a torn Republican (Spanish) flag in the front row.
Charles Walters, served in the 15th International Brigade on the Ebro and Aragon Fronts. During the evacuation at Tereul he was injured and spent five months recovering. After his return to Australia, he became the Assistant Secretary of the Spanish Relief Committee in Adelaide.
3791636.jpg

I found a few more pics I don't think have already been posted here.

Republican troops at the Aragon Front
m5RepAragonFront.jpg

Nationalist troops advancing in the rubble of Madrid 1936
M6NatToledo1936.jpg

Republican "snipers" at the Aragon Front
m7RepSniperAragon1936.jpg

Republicans surrendering 1936
m8RepSurrender1936.jpg

Republicans in the Battle of Guadalajara 1936
m9RepGuadalajara1936.jpg

m10RebelPositionAttacked1936.jpg

Republican artillery 1936
m11RepArty1936.jpg

Siege of Alcazar I believe these are Republicans
m12SiegeOfAlcazarToledo1936.jpg

Women ready for combat

m13WomenSoldiers1936.jpg

Couldn't post more pics above - more are here.

Counterattack before the fall of Irun
m14CounterattackBeforeFallIrun.jpg

Republicans writing home from the front. Notice Russian rifles and "Adrian" style helmets
m15RepLetterFront1936.jpg

Making munitions in Madrid
m16Madrid1937.jpg

Nationalist troops crossing the Ebro, 1938
m17NatEbro1938.jpg

Digging in at Madrid
m18Madrid.jpg

Republicans enter Teruel, 1938. More Russian rifles in sight here.
m19RepEnterTeruel1938.jpg

Republicans resting in a barn after crossing the French border in 1939.
m20RepInBarnFrance1939.jpg

XV International Brigade, the British Battalion
2468764.jpg

Men of No.1 Company, British Battalion. Maurice Davidovitch (middle row second left) Andre Diamant (middle row second right)
6200705_orig.jpg

Jarama: British Battalion. Tommy Smith (second left, dark hair, Liverpool), Jack Headly (striped top behind Tommy) William Robert 'Digger' Wallace (on guitar, from Liverpool) Mick Johnson (Liverpool) Bobby Walker (hand in clenched fist salute, Edinburgh.)
5494317_orig.jpg

British Battalion at Jarama.
3127591_orig.jpg

In the Trenches at Fuentes de Ebro: left, George Fletcher, Hamish Frazer and Harry Dobson.
5712784_orig.jpg

No. 2 Machine-Gun Company in the Jarama Valley, February 1937.
1975307_orig.jpg

Memorial to 29 members of the British Battalion who died on 27/2/1937 in an attack on fascist positions in the Jarama Valley. Closer study reveals names and dates for the 23rd of February and two for April. The monument was destroyed soon after the end of the war.
1916998_orig.jpg

Espana class dreadnought battleships España and Jaime I.
q9opce962la61.jpg

Despite the crew of España killing their officers and supporting the Republican cause, they were forced to surrender the ship into the service of the Nationalists but was sunk by mine in April 1937.

Jaime I fought for the Republicans but on June 17 , 1937 it was destroyed by an internal explosion during repair and maintenance work that was being carried out. Over 300 crew and workers were killed.

Madrid. Winter 1936/37. A building destroyed by Italo-German air raids. The Nationalist offensive on Madrid, which lasted from Nov. 1936 to Feb. 1937, was one of the fiercest of the Civil War. During this period Italy and Germany started helping the Nationalist forces, and the USSR the Popular Front government. Madrid. Hiver 1936-37. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
1-1.jpg

Madrid. November-December 1936. After the Italo-German air raids. The Nationalist offensive on Madrid, which lasted from November 1936 to February 1937, was one of the fiercest of the Civil War. During this period Italy and Germany started helping the Nationalist forces, and the USSR the Popular Front government. The civilians were severely affected by the bombings. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
3.jpg

Madrid. November-December, 1936. During the Italo-German air raids, many people took shelter in the subway stations. The Nationalist offensive on Madrid, which lasted from November 1936 to February 1937, was one of the fiercest of the Civil War
4-1.jpg

January 25-27th, 1939. On the road from Barcelona to the French border. After the fall of Barcelona, but also fascit rule over all of Spain clearly imminent, about 500 000 Spanish civilians sought refuge and political asylum in France. France set up camps along the borders in the PyrŽnŽes Orientales region. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
5-1.jpg

Andalucia. Cerro Muriano. Cordoba front. Republican soldiers. September 5th, 1936. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
SPAIN.-Andalucia.-Cerro-Muriano.-Cordoba-front.-Republican-soldiers.-September-5th-1936.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Andalucia. September 1936. Cordoba front. An officer addressing the soldiers before an attack. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
SPAIN.-Andalucia.-September-1936.-Cordoba-front.-An-officer-addressing-the-soldiers-before-an-attack.-Robert-Capa.jpg

August-September 1936. A checkpoint near Barcelona. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
SPAIN.-August-September-1936.-A-checkpoint-near-Barcelona.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Barcelona or its vicinity. August, 1936. Republican militiaman aiming a rifle. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
SPAIN.-Barcelona-or-its-vicinity.-August-1936.-Republican-militiaman-aiming-a-rifle.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Barcelona. August 1936.Republican militiaman saying farewell before the departure of a troop train for the front. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
arture-of-a-troop-train-for-the-front.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Bilbao. May 1937. Basque region. Running for shelter during the air raids. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
ning-for-shelter-during-the-air-raids.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Catalonia. Barcelona. August 1936. Militiawomen defending a street barricade. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
tiawomen-defending-a-street-barricade.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Madrid. 1936. The boy is wearing a cap belonging to a member of the Steel Battalions, of the “Union de Hermans Proletarios” (Union of Proletarian Brothers), an anarchist militia. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
arian-Brothers-an-anarchist-militia.-David-Seymour.jpg

Madrid. November-December 1936. An armored car used by officers of the International Brigades. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
fficers-of-the-International-Brigades.-Robert-Capa.jpg

May 1937. Bilbao front (Basque region). Loyalist soldiers during the battle of Mount Solluve. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
rs-during-the-battle-of-Mount-Solluve.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Near Huesca. August-September 1936. Aragon front. Republican soldier. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
-September-1936.-Aragon-front.-Republican-soldier..jpg

November 7th, 1938. Near Fraga, the Aragon front. Loyalist troops during an offensive on the Rio Segre. Robert Capa © International Center of Photography
-during-an-offensive-on-the-Rio-Segre.-Robert-Capa.jpg

Toledo. September 1936. A young Communist militiaman standing near the ruins of the Alcazar.
tanding-near-the-ruins-of-the-Alcazar.-Robert-Capa.jpg