Photos Chechen Wars

You don't see many pics from here either, Great Pics again......Thanks for posting them!! (Y) Russ:-

Gruppa Sever, commanded by General Lev Rokhlin, January 1995

Ky9X3m8.jpg

uwefSQw.jpg

8rc4dAc.jpg

S3QWNqP.jpg

xCwLj7I.jpg

edD8PPT.jpg

IEGBXgb.jpg

eaftO0j.jpg

H6ZHVVX.jpg

Ny3KMD3.jpg
Rokhlin was a wonderful Soviet officer. It is a pity that he became a victim of the Yeltsin regime...

I see lack of discipline, but this is common in russian army
In the Soviet army, discipline was steel, especially in the 1950s and 1970s. In the 1980s, when disorder began in the country, disorder also began in the army. But damn it, what exactly is wrong in this photo? What does their lack of discipline show in comparison to the photos from Vietnam? People are at war, people are walking under death. It makes sense that they won't look like they are on parade.

I think you are right. But damn, this is some fine re-enactment job. Good enough for a movie for sure. Heck, even better than what I've seen in Russian movies about this war.
There are practically no films about the Chechen war. The only good one that I can name is "War" by Balabanov, as well as the publicistic film "The Living and the Dead". The film "Purgatory" is a propaganda campaign that most veterans hate. Just like the veterans of Afghanistan hate the film "9th company".

Hell on earth - Russian new-year assault on Grozny, January 1995. Russian side lost about 2000 man dead, also 500 missing, 4700 wounded and about 100 captured. More than 240 Tanks and armored vehicles were lost in fighting, Chechen side, after losing several hundred man, retreated from devastated city, Russians took city, just to lose it in Chechen summer offensive of 1996. This battle really showcased weakness of Russian army in urban warfare. It also took lives of 35,000 civilians...

Destroyed BMP-2 of Russian army on streets of grozny
View attachment 218124

Chechen fighter
View attachment 218125

Famous photo from this battle
View attachment 218126

So sad that Russian command did not care for lives of neither young Russian boys, nor Chechen people
View attachment 218127

Russian infantry
View attachment 218128

Russian soldiers pose with captured Chechen BM-21 Grad near grozny
View attachment 218129

A photo that has been haunting me for years... and year.
View attachment 218130

Wrecked Russian T-80BV
View attachment 218131

T-72A
View attachment 218132

Destroyed BTR and turrets of T-80BV tanks
View attachment 218133

T-72A tanks, disabled in action
View attachment 218134

This battle was illustration of why you just don't rush armor, even with infantry support in urban streets
View attachment 218135

Our sources indicate that 35 thousand - along with all the losses, including the military.

Yes. Yeltsin's Russian government acted extremely disgustingly. My father took part in the New Year's assault. The operation was meant as a peaceful one - the soldiers were forbidden to break shops, trash cans, litter (!!). The troops entered rashly, and the soldiers themselves hoped for an easy operation. But they themselves got into a real meat grinder.

On YouTube, by the way, there is an interesting home recording. Students celebrate the new year and shoot the storm with their cameras.
You may be interested in this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And February as well.

1500 dead and 500 missing.

Thats correct.

Chechen loses were equal to that of Russians or higher. They were bled dry by the two months of urban combat. After their retreat from Grozny the rest of Republic relatively quickly fell under Russian control. Then guerilla war and terrorism stage has started.

Khasavyurt agreements had very little to do with military situation. It was political decision.

Pulikovsky's battlegroup (assault batallions of 131st Motorized Brigade and 81st Motorized Regiment) was indeed caught by surprise, encricled in Central Grozny and suffered heavy loses. Rokhlin's battlegroup did pretty well actually. And the rest of the battlegroups as well.

It never took so many lives. Most of the fighting took place in central Grozny around Presidential Palace. Not many residential areas there, mainly administration buildings, institutes, hotels and so on. Im not saying there were no casualties among civilians, but your figure is huge overestimation.
Thank you friend! Put everything on the shelves!

More GREAT photos, thanks for posting them!

Wow, this thread is being watched. I will ask an interesting question about the personality of Dzhokhar Dudayev.

From 1962 he served in the Soviet army, was a very executive and honest officer
I doubt that its true
, according to some - a convinced communist,
That does not mean something either.Most of soviet officials were"convinced communists".The degree of their conviction is speak for itself.
The "genius" of the soviet recruiting policy is up to debate, but this would be out of topic
holder of awards, general. Participated in the bombing of terrorists in Afghanistan (which he later denied). However, in 1989-90 he starts to somehow "swing", he either supports the Baltic separatists,
His"baltic activities" in general is very murky topic.Like the whole"baltic row".
then goes to his native Chechnya and rushes into politics. After the August 1991 coup, Dudayev began to destroy political opponents, and in 1992 he began to lead Ichkeria.

And what do you think drove him? Was he an adventurer? Careerist? Or just a hidden patriot who, since the 1960s, dreamed of separating Chechnya from the USSR?
What drove any other soviet "national republic" leaders?Something between the lust for power,national hatred,unbridled ambition,and religious-dogmatic intolerance(in case of muslims)
In addition to this he was a chechen,to begin with.And it is clear what kind of contingent they are.

Dudayev, by the way, was a "collector" of the Soviet camouflage "butane". "Bhutan" in '84 began to receive pilots and paratroopers, perhaps Dudayev loved him because of his profession.

View attachment 310607

View attachment 310608

View attachment 310609

View attachment 310610

Last edited:
Russian soldiers at second chechen war.Snake аre also presented,and biting as well
rhM2GF8dFLU.jpg

now Chechen terrorist operation all Caucasus region?

now Chechen terrorist operation all Caucasus region?
Since the time of the second Chechen war, the Russian special services and counterterrorism units have been quite quick in calculating and eliminating bandit formations. But, unfortunately, successful operations (often routine) do not receive sufficient press coverage (and some are constantly reduced to ridicule of our security forces). And one terrorist attack that happened is covered many times more than ten prevented. This, I think, is wrong.