Food & drink What are you drinking?

We were talking about deutsche bier before weren’t we?

Had to go a bit out of my way for that quite strong Eisbock. 12%, not unusual for some German « Bock » beers, and at least I had no impending obligations so I just sat and drank this treat here:

372-ECF18-AF9-A-46-A2-838-F-5-B7-EE8-EC9-E38.jpg

Prost.

Yes, it's bock bier time. During the past days I sampled through a six pack of "Senatsbock" from the city of Hamburg. A few years ago, the smaller and crafty breweries there decided to revive a tradition from the 1950s where five Hamburg breweries would each create a special dark bock bier in December/January with no common recipe but only a set list of ingredients and a general style to match. So this year's brewing campaign contained some welcome suprises with orange flavours or chocolatey goodness. The stuff is not as strong as Jake's Eisbock up there, but it did reach the occasional 7.7% abv.

For all those smartasses that believe that « Blah, American beers sucks » because the only one they got on their hands was Bud or Coors: you don’t know what you’re talking about.

I just got early this am a box and haul from a trade with an American, here’s some of the finest treats you’ll find at least regarding IPAs or DIPAs.

F3453-A29-C5-D3-4-F8-A-BD31-BA4477195341.jpg

Thanks to the trader in question and USPS for not messing with this one.

The US has top beers the whole craft beer scene stems from there just as an example.

And even Bud or Coors has its merits, on a hot summer day by the pool I very much enjoy those light beers.

Nice haul Jake - did he ship them to you?

Yes, via regular USPS and then the French post service picked up the slack, both have done a good job, but the trader packed them really well, too.

Obviously that’s not a freebie and I reciprocated and I sent him a nice haul of some Belgian, German and French craft he couldn’t find over there. Waiting for it to make it safely his way.

Time to bump this up....I have a few beers to choose from tonight.....

I think I am most excited by the Saison and probably the imperial stout (I don't normally fo anywhere near the 10% mark). The Durham azacca should be nice because it is live still with yeast in the bottle. And Abbeydale do nice beers. Who am I kidding I will enjoy them all!

I’ve just been going with my regular purchase since the haul I posted back in February. Still the same Belgian or different IPAs from Blightly or the Land of the Free.

Inflation is hitting the brewing industry really hard too. It’s not only the gas for the cars, that other hops harvest, wheat and malt is starting to cost an arm and a leg.

Wonder if most of us will have to sell one of our kidney in order to pay fuel, booze or even food in years to come.

That Durham Brewery mentioned in downsizer's selection seems to have a nice portfolio - especially when you're into strong stuff like imperial stout or malt wines. Not really my cup of tea but I need to check if I can get hold of some of their ales.

And this is the true story of the dwarf and the seven Cinderellas: he laboured miserably ever after...

DSC_0014.JPG

Were you on a sobriety challenge, or was it just a medical recommandation to quit booze for a while?

Back