Photos Vietnam war helicopter aviation: NOH-6A "The Quiet One"

Marsch

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
The NOH-6A (Night Observation Helicopter) was also called the Hughes 500P ("P" for Penetrator). It was a special version build for the CIA and was optimized for nighttime observations. Therefore it got all kind of IR/Nighttime observation devices (like for example a FLIR). Besides that it also got an acustically optimized engine, rotors, smoothed out gear and transmission and all kind of sound-proofing materials for a better noise reduction. Two helicopters of this type were build.

A NOH-6A infront of its hangar at PS-44 (remote base near Pakse, Laos).
4F731Er.jpg

Front view of "The Quiet One".
RMz7j9x.jpg

During evaluations.
tK4wb81.jpg

With an upgraded FLIR.
xkWg4lW.jpg

The cockpit got FLIR monitors for pilot and co-pilot.
NgRuYkT.jpg

The optimized 5-blade rotor for better noise reduction.
BPrYfcP.jpg

The optimized tail-rotor with 4-blades. Actually it are two rotors with two blades each to better counter the produced noise (the same system is used on the AH-64 "Apache" for the same reason).
vxXVqZ5.jpg

-----

I had looked up the registration/built numbers for the two helicopters years ago and to my surprise one of them is still in use with the Snohomish Sheriff Department, WA.

You can clearly see the four blade tail-rotor here.
bIBC6v2.jpg

I had even contacted said SD and asked if they know what they have there and one of the pilots replied back. He told me that they got it exactly because it's so quiet. So the answer is obviously yes. ;)

Last edited:
An other shot of the cockpit with the FLIR monitors.
uKobge3.jpg

If you're wondering what's in the pods it's carrying in some pics. The right one should be an aux fuel tank.
ZNnU55l.jpg

With "hover pod".
OckK8ii.jpg