Other Post Ukrainian War Stories

berkut76

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
TAARB
OK guys, I'll post links in this thread to interesting articles and interviews about Russian - Ukrainian War 2014 - Present.

Hopefully, Google will do a decent job of translating them into English. No propaganda here. Just the war as it is.

The defense of Artjomovsk light arms and ammunition storage facility

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://fraza.ua/analytics/267616-istorija-pervyh-pobed-oborona-artemovskoj-bazy-nachalo-&edit-text=&act=url

A very interesting read and Google Tramslate did about the best job I would expect of it. I found the following comment very pertinent and I could not help but feel for all those involved in those early battles, they had not long before been able to live as we all wish to live, and now... well its a chilling reality of the outset of war and the finding of an individuals resolve

About how difficult it was - to shoot at a real enemy, recalled one of the fighters: "We did not know how many personnel attacking, what their tasks are, how far they are ready to go in their intentions. People, even the military, were not ready to kill people, they were not ready yet. I repeat: it was April 24, 2014. The first battle is for everyone. It is at this point that the character breaks down and it becomes clear whether there will be a good soldier or not, you can "go to reconnaissance" with him or better not. "

Last edited:
Interview of the 8th Battery Commander 27th MLRS regiment (i.e BM-27 Uragan)

https://translate.google.com/transl...shnogo-orujiya-v-ato/16324&edit-text=&act=url

https://translate.google.com/transl...shnogo-orujiya-v-ato/16298&edit-text=&act=url

March 2014:

- What were the difficulties?

- The fact is that the equipment since 2010, as I serve in part, did not see any fuel at all. It was dry and dry in the pits.

With "avatars" (i.e. drunks) at that time have already figured out?

- I had no experience of that at that time, so we borrowed the experience of 24 brigades. Which was, perhaps, not quite humane, but effective. So we started to apply at home.

- Has it helped?

- Yes, it was quite effective. The people in their arms had weapons, and they themselves understood how dangerous a person with guns in a state of intoxication could be. Therefore, these methods concerned all successively - greyhounds, healthy, old, young. Without regret. Because now you will regret it, and he will do mischief. So brought up. And people really changed. Because even a 50-year-old "bugai" healthy, who considers himself a navel of the land, after certain activities changed his behavior. Therefore, with "avatars" we sorted out quickly enough.

Well, and the relationship in the team probably played a role. Human relations between the rank and file officers - it was effective. And it helped me in the most important thing - to achieve the coherence of my unit, its manageability and learning ability. Perhaps, that's why it was our 8th battery that was the first of our brigade to leave for the ATO zone.

Then you really were lucky that you refused so little ...

- Yes.After us, another battery was put forward, so they set us up for example. They said: here, not one of them refused, but you ... Several embellished reality, in a word.

And, you know, with those people with whom we fought then, in 2014, we communicate until now. Every year we gather in Sumy on October 14. Even when they were demobilized in 2015, I told them, representatives of the first wave: the day of the 8th battery - on October 14. I urge everyone on this day to gather, communicate, make friends. And people are going to. Moreover, now it is already an official day off. And the volunteers found sponsors who finance these meetings. And these eight, which then refused - it so happened that no one from the collective waiting for them, no one for their own does not recognize, and communication with them has long been lost ...

But I'm already distracted. In AT) we arrived without incident. Each driver then already knew the specifics of his car, how to manage it, what to do in case of a breakdown. If that happened, the problems were solved very quickly . Therefore, 600 km from Sum to the destination, we overcame our own speed.

About the work of Ukrainian Ministry of Defense Public Relations office.

Take, for example, the fact that my personal safety was not indifferent to a lot of people.
They warned me, and not only me, about the danger. In Donbass, I joined the unique channel of "people's stream." For a day I received dozens of SMS-on phone and personal messages in Facebook. These valuable for our intelligence information sent by local residents, who on their own initiative monitored the movement of enemy equipment, drew maps, took pictures and videos.They collected and coordinated information flows, sometimes sending reports on the combat readiness of enemy formations with an analysis of possible plans of Russians! The military conditionally called such assistants "hamsters". While doing this invisible work, "hamsters" risked their lives.

How large was the proportion of truly authentic and valuable information for intelligence in these reports? Because they could send provokers?

"A significant part of such" hamster "intelligence was confirmed. Timely information assistance to the population has become an integral part of success in a number of army operations to destroy enemy forces.

- Can you tell us about one of these operations?

- For example, the operation to destroy the enemy base on Holm - so the residents of Gorlovka (occupied by saboteurs under the command of the Russian FSB shnika Igor Bezler-Besa in April 2014) call the settlement of Golmovsky in the Kalininsky district of the city. The enemy placed long-range heavy artillery and ammunition depots on the vast territory of the former Holmov special school for juvenile offenders. And in the room I arranged a barracks.

It was one of the firing points from where the "orcs" - as the population of the Donbass dubbed the mixed forces of Russian and local mercenaries - "militias" - were arranged as crossfire on Gorlovka, imitating the offensive of our army, and the shelling of the Svetlodarskaya arc. In social networks openly wrote: "From Zaitsevo, the orcs are beating - once in the direction of the positions of the 30th Brigade, and then - on their own Holm, imitating the answer of the APU! These are the Orthodox braces. "

%D0%A1%20%D0%93%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BC%D1%8B%20%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%BF%D1%8F%D1%82.jpg

"Thanks to the accurate information of the hamsters, " continues Vladislav, "on July 11, 2014 our aircraft dealt a crushing blow to the accumulation of enemy forces on Holm, and also along the hill near Dolomitnoye railway station, from where the enemies corrected artillery shelling of Svetlodarsk and Novolugansk .

One of the "hamsters" who collected information for the preparation of this operation, and then observed it with his own eyes, wrote this: "It's beautifully worked! What a high accuracy! And from the antiaircraft guns on our plane they fired, and from the "needles" of all sorts ... And he, young man, dodged, took aim, and - direct fire! And flew ... "

https://translate.google.com/transl...=http://fakty.ua/264332-ii&edit-text=&act=url

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://fakty.ua/266075-sergej-naev-s-kollaborantami-gotov-dogovarivatsya-isklyuchitelno-ob-usloviyah-ih-kapitulyacii&edit-text=&act=url

Interview with the new commander of the "Unified Operation" (i.e. no longer Anti-Terrorist Operation) Lt. General Sergei Naev.

An ethnic Russian (his brother lives in Crimea and supports Russia, of course), he is considered a hardliner. In a few interviews that he has given, he pretty much spoke openly what is on the minds of most Ukrainian and Western politicians and addressed only privately. There might not be a political solution to the conflict due to Russian intransigence. The only thing he is willing to negotiate with "bandits" from the so-called "people's republics" is their surrender. He is quite open that most likely Ukrainians at the very least would have to face a powerful Russian 8th Army. If there is going to be an open conflict, it'll be decided in the air. If Ukrainian air defenses will hold and deny Russians the skies, even severely outnumbered and outgunned Ukrainian forces will be able to defeat the Russian foe. He is the first Ukrainian General to state that his troops are better trained than their Russian adversaries.

Most likely, Russians will escalate the conflict next week to test the mettle of the new commander who already informed OSCE mission in the region that he'll deal with Russian provocations with the firm hand.

^^ yep I thought I had seen John Harding before. I was watching a doco a couple of years ago of him and other Brits fighting with the Kurds against ISIS, good to see he is still alive. About 1/3 of the Brits he went with didn't make it

Don't know much about Australian media liberal bias. So, I can't comment on the article. On social media, I'm in the same groups as Craig Lang (an American mentioned in the article). Always seemed like a shady character to me, especially his constant pleas for financial aid.

From Neo-Nazi to militant: The foreign fighters in Ukraine who Australia's laws won't stop

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...n-to-australia-with-military-training/9696784

Don't know much about Australian media liberal bias. So, I can't comment on the article. On social media, I'm in the same groups as Craig Lang (an American mentioned in the article). Always seemed like a shady character to me, especially his constant pleas for financial aid.

From Neo-Nazi to militant: The foreign fighters in Ukraine who Australia's laws won't stop

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...n-to-australia-with-military-training/9696784

"It's part of them just being a man in a modern world, that they want to go out and do something brave, or do something incredible. They just want to believe in something."

I can think of lots of other ways to be brave or do something incredible. The reason for fighting a war has to be more than that, war sucks

What a trash story and no more than can be expected from the ABC. Although Government owned and funded, the ABC is completely independent and also well known to be full of left wing employees. Many thinking Australians are very over the left leaning bias of the ABC and they are regularly called out for their bullshit.

Notice how the writers manage to connect the Ukrainian side to right wing extremism and any person fighting on the Ukraine side is therefore a right wing extremist.

These idiots make me mad :).:mad:

What a trash story and no more than can be expected from the ABC. Although Government owned and funded, the ABC is completely independent and also well known to be full of left wing employees. Many thinking Australians are very over the left leaning bias of the ABC and they are regularly called out for their bullshit.

Notice how the writers manage to connect the Ukrainian side to right wing extremism and any person fighting on the Ukraine side is therefore a right wing extremist.

These idiots make me mad :).:mad:

Yes, the article didn't seem balanced to me. But I have limited exposure to Australian media (outside of a few TV shows and Supercars series and 1:18 models) to make a call.

https://translate.google.com/transl...9241-spetsnaz-na-donbasse-&edit-text=&act=url

Short expose on Ukrainian Special Forces operations (SSO MOD) in 2014 and 2015. Too bad the details of ambush of the units from Russia's 107th Interior Ministry and 34th Infantry Brigades on April 22nd, 2015 were not revealed. The Russian losses were in dozens killed in just one engagement with no armor involved on the Ukrainian side.