Politics The 2022 French Presidential Election/French politics thread

With these two finalists, folks would have been unhappy no matter who had won.

And riots would have occurred no matter which of the 8 candidates had won.

Now, numbers!

Total votes: 35m.
Votes counted: 32m.

Macron received 18,7m.
LePen received 13,2m.

As much as 4 times more people voted blank for the 2nd turn (500k for the 1rst, around 2m for the 2nd)

Last edited:
With these two finalists, folks would have been unhappy no matter who had won.

And riots would have occurred no matter which of the 8 candidates had won.

Now, numbers!

Total votes: 35m.
Votes counted: 32m.

Macron received 18,7m.
LePen received 13,2m.

As much as 4 times more people voted blank for the 2nd turn (500k for the 1rst, around 2m for the 2nd)
Even if Le Pen would have won there would have been second vote.?
Can't imagine EU rats would have swallowed defeat.
Anyway congrats for picking up a candidate and I hope it works out for France.

With Micron back in office can we expect ramp up of Covid requirements to enter France ?
Would like to go to Paris in next 2 months but I'm not 1765x jabedo_O

I believe we can keep this thread for anything related to French politics, and I just edited its title.

Vladimir Putin just congratulated Macron on his re-election, wishing him good.

Basically Le Pen was thought to have more ties to Vlad than Macron, but Macron whatever we think of him showed that, despite the Ukrainian tragedies we should talk with Putin. Talk, argue or whatever.

I realize that Zelenski don’t want to hear it, having talks with Putin is literally some pact with the devil so to speak.

Hell. Let’s hope for the best. Half full glass.

so you guys managed to elect the same guy you always complain about? I would think just once give the ol' gal a try see what happens. you certainly cant expect different results this time.

so you guys managed to elect the same guy you always complain about? I would think just once give the ol' gal a try see what happens. you certainly cant expect different results this time.

Well "you guys" may be a bit hyperbolic. :D

There are around 67mil French, 48mil were registered to vote (I don't know out of how many eligible for registration), and only 18.7mil voted for him.

People voted for him out of "desperation" (in the second turn at least), mostly. There are, obviously, those who voted Macron because they believe in him, but they really are not that numerous.

I guess our problem, in France, is the nature of the political class, their background and origins. They are more or less the same and interchangeable from one another.

Reminder the legislative elections are taking place this weekend.

And this dropped from the "NUPES" (the left wing parties coalition):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, the législatives election to elect or re-elect the French MPs and therefore the French assembly is tomorrow and the final round.

Big f***ing meh honestly.

My opinion of Macron and beyond him his party or supports is documented enough here. Won’t rehash, but the NUPES left wing coalition is insane. If you think Jeremy Corbyn was bad, Jean Luc Melenchon is far worse.

- Wants to raise taxes drastically and mind you not only for the super rich/wealthy but also the middle/upper middle class.

- Everytime some suburban thug with a heavy criminal record got injured or killed during a police pursuit in the streets, he has called the police as an institution « barbarians » and lately even mentioned that the police shouldn’t « apply the death penalty itself » in a case where a thug wanted to ram his car on the police trying to stop him and got killed.

- Likewise taxes, inheritance over 400,000€ of whether property or bank savings shall be heavily taxed.

- Some of his candidate for MPs and assembly seats have borderline ties to jihadists and a very blurred line with political Islam.

The list goes on and could be even more outrageous.

As for Le Pen and her party, they never do too well in such elections but could still take 20-40 seats and MPs.

Final results tomorrow around 8pm GMT+1.

Last but not least, abstention even since the last presidential election appear to have been the biggest winner.

More than half of the French population called to the ballots don’t want to cast a valid name, which I can understand regarding these parties but I don’t want to hear from some of them afterwards : « Bleh, Macron; Melenchon, Le Pen sucks »

Last edited:
Not really sure what Mélanchon is trying to achieve by this, apart from the obvious PR stunt, but he apparently promised to naturalize Assange and grant him a medal if he becomes PM.

Statement which raises some problems:

1- Even if "Mélanchon"/Nupes wins the elections and gets the parliamentarian majority, Macron still won't have to nominate him as PM. Historical precedents have had the President nominate the leader of the majority as PM, but he is under no obligation of doing so, iirc.
2- Naturalization of individuals is not an initiative from the PM. the PM grants it, but does not give it. The person, Assange, has to ask for it. So, if Mélanchon is PM, and if Assange ask for it, then Mélanchon will approve. That's a lot of "if-s".
3- The attribution of medals and other honors is not up to the PM. The President is the one nominating and signing the decree.
4- Being naturalized and "medalized" won't change anything for Assange. He will still be extradited to the US where he will be judged and likely sentenced to prison.
5- And if so, the US won't have to "give Assange back" to France.

Anyway, turn out is apparently very low:

Last edited:

Not political related at its early stage, but this general strike on oil refineries are becoming to be a pain in the arse for the French population, therefore it’s becoming political because the queue at any gas station, especially in the North or France are insane. Waiting up to two hours to refuel 40€ of gas, diesel or whatever you use.

Basically French giant Total is trying to hold talks with its employees about their salaries. Mind you, someone starting a career in a refinery can begin at ~3000€ a month to be nearing 5000€ before retirement. I can think of far more miserable workers… as usual during any strikes, the common people pay the price.

Well "you guys" may be a bit hyperbolic. :D

There are around 67mil French, 48mil were registered to vote (I don't know out of how many eligible for registration), and only 18.7mil voted for him.

People voted for him out of "desperation" (in the second turn at least), mostly. There are, obviously, those who voted Macron because they believe in him, but they really are not that numerous.

I guess our problem, in France, is the nature of the political class, their background and origins. They are more or less the same and interchangeable from one another.

You folks are just like the folks you keep electing ...

Never ever happy unless yer tanning the wine lol