Other Post So, how was your day?

Had to spend this afternoon at the Paisley Sheriff Court . Because they sent me a Citation for Jury Duty .. , They phone just before 11am telling me i had to appear at 1.45pm . So left work at 1230 to get the 1245pm train . Took a walk thro the piazza before going to the Court . On arrival was told to wait in a room at the top of the stairs ..
Sat in the room for an hour . It was like sitting in a Sauna . Then after others had arrived a lass came Told us the Dos n dont etc ..Gave us a number ,I was No5 .. There was 5 of us that were replacement jurors incase one or more couldn't do it

The hightlight for me was the Clerk dressed like a Headmistress , Dark haired Lass ..Fit as chuff she was , Delicious .

The Judge was an Old Lady .. who proceeded to ask several questions ..then had to tell the lassie if for some reason you couldn't do it ..

One lady had an excuse which the judge excused her and was replaced . It's truly bizarre to witness the entire process ..

At the end up the Judge lets myself and the other 3 go at 3.15pm .
Went for some munchies before heading back to work

Decided we needed some more travel in our lives!

My lovely wife and I are off to Vietnam tonight for a 2 week holiday. We've never been before so quite looking forward to the experience. I've been to most countries in SE Asia, being as it's pretty much in Australia's backyard but never took the time to go to Vietnam.

Another tick in the bucket list (Y)

Should be warm, delightful and quite a trip. Enjoy BZ! If you can and want do share a few shots of the area.

-22F here this morning... which isn't as much fun as it sounds. Just made sure no pipes froze during the night, and thankfully they did not. For my next trick I'll see about starting the car and pickup in a few hours. No reason to hurry with that - high for the day is only supposed to reach -8F. I made a grocery run yesterday and dropped off payments so there's no need to leave the house today.

I tell you Friends - global warming is a SCAM!!

I don’t buy the global warming hysteria either, we’re having a typical winter here. Dreary, cold (-4c each morning for a week). Pretty much the winters we’ve known for decades.

My lovely wife and I are off to Vietnam tonight for a 2 week holiday. We've never been before so quite looking forward to the experience. I've been to most countries in SE Asia, being as it's pretty much in Australia's backyard but never took the time to go to Vietnam.

Many changes there since 1968. Clean in the large cities, I remember one bar downtown Soc Trang, it was a two story that had the large pigs living on the first floor and the bar on the top. I managed to go to the theater there in Soc Trang which was off limits due to the last bridge being so close and it was considered VC land. So I went in the theater with a young Vietnamese girl and her young brother, her father owned a bar down the street. There was a concession bar in the theater lobby but it was not like the rest of the world, there were some fruits and drinks and nuts but no candies or popcorn or any of that stuff. Now the biggest surprise was the theater area was not a normal theater because they did not use seats, it was all cement for each row. The movie was a WWII movie in color but it was a French made movie so I couldn't understand a word. My old Battalion HQ was the 13th of the 164th Group 1st Avn, it was on the Sa Dac River at Can Tho. Many years ago they completely stripped the entire airfield and buildings, nothing left but a very hard to see grown over runway and where buildings had once sat. Just a bit down the road very close to where the MASH unit was located across from Bihn Thuy which was on the opposite side of the river, they built a new commercial airport. Now at Can Tho they let the Russians build a cable supported long bridge to connect Can Tho and the more eastern provinces. It lasted a couple years and a beautiful bridge but the span near the Can Tho side fell into the river. That river is probably like the Mississippi at Baton Rouge, always moving at least 35 mph. I am sure they made a serious calculation mistake when they sank the supports for that section. I think it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, I saw the entire Delta and some of the most southern North, the people were good and hard working and most well educated. I still think they should be free but they are not happy, the younger people I think. I saw some Christmas photos 20 years ago from Saigon downtown and all the younger people had a really sad expression on their face. I watch some youtube videos every now and then of men who have dirt hauling 3 wheel dump trucks, the entire Delta is now People and Rice. My old airfield is still a military installation and off limits, no aircraft or hangars but the runway is still functional and all the buildings are new, not one of our buildings were left standing. My favorite memory was buying fresh french bread from a bicycle vendor, the bread was baked every night and men from far out of town would bicycle in and get a load of bread to sell where ever they lived. Two things the Army had that was good, that was fresh cheese and the best canned ham money could buy, add that to the french bread and you had something great. 🐷

Went to my dad's farm on the weekend to shoot a few possums. Stinking hot but luckily there was the river at the bottom of the farm that was in perfect condition for a swim.

SwimmingHole.jpg

It's been pretty cold lately, more than usual. So we stayed inside mostly after restocking the wood stove's tinder & kindling from the stash outside.

Found the Tank Museum's channel on YouTube. I could watch for hours and days on end if I was able to get away doing so. Definitely another place that I want to visit along with the Royal Armouries.

(Hah, my spellcheck doesn't like the English spelling of armouries. Oh well, lol.)

Sooo, another different trip for us. Brussels which was a first for me. Miss Jake went there as a child and barely remember it.

What can I say? The Belgians are a good bunch, the city is in part a bit seedy, but it has its own highlights which I’ll share a few photos of here.

The Grand Place, in downtown Brussels.

IMG-0326.jpg

Little boy peeing also known as Manneken Pis:

IMG-0361.jpg

This is an overview of the Royal museum of Brussels instead of sharing each and every of the numerous paintings:

IMG-0369.jpg

And a « Galerie Marchande » so full of mostly chocolate shops and a nice change of path from the kilometers we endured in the snow…

IMG-0375.jpg

Good journey n travels ...enjoy ye adventures

Brings us all back a stick of rock samage ..lol

Went to my dad's farm on the weekend to shoot a few possums. Stinking hot but luckily there was the river at the bottom of the farm that was in perfect condition for a swim.

View attachment 465468
Nice photo, reminds me of the Llano River in Texas 90 miles north west of San Antonio. The greenery is not as thick and mostly rock outcrops plus the hill height is a lot less. Lots of snakes, copperheads and rattle snakes liked the rock outcrops over looking the river. My best friend and I would go there to fish on a private property that was about a 1/16th of a mile off the main highway that went into Junction Tx and came out to the I-10. The river crosses I-10 in numerous places, it was all Indian country back in the old west days. Still can find arrow heads and spear heads along the river which has been in constant change over the decades. Today looking at google earth I cannot even find the camp. There were left over one room cabins from the 30s that were still standing in 1975, each at one time had an old Sears & Roebuck wood stove to cook on and warm the cabins. All those old stoves sat out in the weather and were lost over the years to the weather and the river. Deer and Wild Turkey were abundant, my brother was standing waist deep in the middle of the river when 4 deer ran across the river directly behind him, he never saw them until I waved my arms. On that trip I woke up at daylight one morning sleeping out under a huge Oak Tree and we had a Coleman lantern hanging from a branch, wild turkey were walking around us .. Such a beautiful place. Last I heard my friend had already suffered two heart attacks and I don't know if he is still living or not, my Brother died 3 years ago. I don't think I will ever see Junction again but in 05 when I came home to Houston from Nevada I made a point to stop there and walk around a bit while the dogs stretched. I was in a park area that I had never knew existed but it was empty no one there but me and the dogs, the water from the river came over the blacktop leading into the parking area and you could hear the river moving off in the distance. Great memories

On the funerals front and unfortunately upcoming, it appears one of my neighbor is dying from lung cancer because the metastases spread to the rest of his body and brain in particular. He helped me out with my apartment renovation at some point. Good guy, literally the janitor of our complex, retired and was always chatting with someone getting in or out the building while… smoking naturally.

Also a great aunt, 93 year old is currently in the hospital for serious heart conditions. It’s unlikely she’ll survive mid or long terms. I’ve been at odds with her daughter and granddaughter but held no grudge against her at all.

Sorry to hear your troubles jake, I hope things resolve themselves as best they can given the circumstances.

Meanwhile, I had my first visit to the gym this year, but it's months actually since I've been. I almost needed a chairlift to get down the stairs after it, I *guess* I did a decent workout.

Sorry to hear your troubles jake, I hope things resolve themselves as best they can given the circumstances.

Meanwhile, I had my first visit to the gym this year, but it's months actually since I've been. I almost needed a chairlift to get down the stairs after it, I *guess* I did a decent workout.

Thanks man, speaking of the gym this buddy of mine wants to get a subscription to our gym in town I’ll try to hook up him on my account so we both get some discount.

Downsizer: my family is mainly limited to my parents and a few cousins sprinkled in the country or even abroad and that’s it. Don’t need to rant about it much I believe but I’ve chosen friends over family for a good decade now.

Downsizer: my family is mainly limited to my parents and a few cousins sprinkled in the country or even abroad and that’s it. Don’t need to rant about it much I believe but I’ve chosen friends over family for a good decade now.

Very similar. I only really have my mum left, all my aunts/uncles/cousins are in NI, and as I live in England and grew up in USA I haven't really ever been close to them.

Been getting back into archery.

ehCyjqr.jpg

Where I am after several thousand shots on a 45lb wooden traditional bow 60 inch 15 inch riser, calluses and blood blisters at 17 yards

X6Aa9n1.jpg

Three cold shot group. Have a look at Lancaster archery comp 18 meters and world longbow champs for a comparison.

13°C inside, and no hot water for washing. Renting accomodation is incredibly common in Germany and I never regretted doing it until I moved into the place where I'm now. My landlord does F*** all. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Back