Photos Sectarian/Insurgent Actions (Both Sides) During "The Troubles"

Statistically the main victims were civilians - as is ever the case in such conflicts.
Indeed, and I also feel that the religious/political divide 'allowed' what is normally the suppressed minority of 'troublesome' people to be more problematic, i.e. just general thuggery under the banner of [insert religion or political view here] perhaps not too dissimilar to what's happening with some of the stuff in USA, legitimate issues becomes crowds of idiots who dont know the history, and dont have a plan....

Ulster University keep statistics which make for sobering reading - https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/sutton/

If you go into the "crosstabulation" part you can set it up how you want - "status summary" will give you whether or not they were civilians, security forces or paramilitary on either side.

PIRA member holding MG-42
a99220voyrf51.png

Judging the state of it I reckon its an MG3. The blueing is far to good for a 42...

Fair point. I certainly don't remember any reports from the slime of 42s floating around over there - but I'm getting old...

That woman in the background with her Sterling (?) looks kinda lost.

The IRA blew up building at Remembrance Day service which killed 11 people in 1987, known as Enniskillen Poppy Day massacre
NINTCHDBPICT000365197782.jpg

A masked Irish Catholic Nationalist carries a keg past a burning car July 12, 2001 during rioting in North Belfast
NINTCHDBPICT000513044894.jpg

Masked Nationalist youths look on during protests in the home town of Colin Duffy on March 14, 2009
NINTCHDBPICT000513045013.jpg

Cars burn during Nationalist rioting in the Ardoyne area of North Belfast on July 12, 2010
NINTCHDBPICT000513040667.jpg

Orangemen protesters clash with police on the return from a march in north Belfast on July 12, 2013
NINTCHDBPICT000513040666.jpg

Children celebrate the shooting of a British soldier by an IRA sniper in West Belfast in 1972
NINTCHDBPICT000513166203-1.jpg

Provisional IRA members in Belfast, 1972. On the first row you can see two Thompsons, a M1 carbine and a Sten. The other two men are holding some sort of Mauser rifle and an Australian L1A1
dxdmympsphfb1.jpg

GREAT pics of a tough time in our history, keep them coming mate!! Thanks for posting..... (Y) Unique selection of weapons as well.

Provisional IRA members in Belfast, 1972. On the first row you can see two Thompsons, a M1 carbine and a Sten. The other two men are holding some sort of Mauser rifle and an Australian L1A1
View attachment 444738
A little correction mate, that's not an Aussie L1A1, the carry handle is different from ours. It seems to be an Belgian model

Back