Politics May, 2019. 41 killed after plane makes emergency landing at Russian airport

Devil Child

Cosmic Wierdo
Staff member
Super Moderator
TheMess.Net
NATO
41 killed after plane makes emergency landing at Russian airport
The death toll has jumped to at least 40 people, including two children, who were killed Sunday in a fiery airplane accident at Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport, a spokeswoman for the Russian Investigative Committee said. The Sukhoi SSJ100 operated by national airline Aeroflot had 78 passengers and five crew members on board when it touched down and sped down a runway spewing huge flames and black smoke.

Elena Markovskaya, a spokeswoman for Russia's Investigative Committee, said early Monday that 41 people were killed. But Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova said later that 38 survived, implying the death toll was 40.

Tragic incident involving an Aeroflot Sukhoi SSJ100 at Sheremetyevo Aiport.

Rest in Peace to those killed.

Horrible news.

The aircraft didn't catch fire until it touched down so there was presumably no reason to have fire crews standing by at the runway. Most of the pictures and video I've seen appear to be taken in the immediate aftermath (Evidenced by the evacuation still taking place in them) so they're from before the fire engines had had the chance to arrive - I believe the general rule for airports is that fire crews should be on the scene of any aircraft fire within the airport within three minutes.

That's terrible. RIP.

Horrible news.

The aircraft didn't catch fire until it touched down so there was presumably no reason to have fire crews standing by at the runway. Most of the pictures and video I've seen appear to be taken in the immediate aftermath (Evidenced by the evacuation still taking place in them) so they're from before the fire engines had had the chance to arrive - I believe the general rule for airports is that fire crews should be on the scene of any aircraft fire within the airport within three minutes.
Yeah saw a video of it about to touchdown, it seemed like it hit the tarmac hard then went airborne and went back down again harder causing the fire. Since it just took off its either a slats/flaps jammed or a dual hydraulic failure. Those would be the two incidence that comes to mind where you will be landing faster than normal and it would be a bit of a hard landing.

A lot of Emotions in AFL (Aeroflot) right now, sadness, yes quite some anger and pride.

Speculation is much, Facts limited but for Crews Today is also just another Day. To me they the BP (Flight Attendants) did all that was right as I am sure our Pilots and Fire also!

More I have been wanting to say ever since but I simply cannot find the words.
Умоляю, не читайте информацию нигде,пока она не подтверждена Сарафанное радио работает, куча информации Даже люди которые ехали на работу и,видя все происходящее не могут знать причин и всех обстоятельств..

(

Terrible news, my thoughts are with the families of all those who perished.

Horrible news.

You may well know better than me, so I don't want to die in a ditch, but I thought the fire crews deploy as soon as a PAN is declared?

Also, doesn't look like they dumped much fuel which implies a certain level of urgency to get down.

You may well know better than me, so I don't want to die in a ditch, but I thought the fire crews deploy as soon as a PAN is declared?

Also, doesn't look like they dumped much fuel which implies a certain level of urgency to get down.
most narrow body planes dont have fuel dump systems.

Last edited:
most narrow body planes dont have fuel dump systems.

SSJ is no exception.
Fire Crew reacted rapidly as said above BUT this is first reliant upon Time which Alarm being sounded, which to do so requires an Emergency and also is to require the means for such Communication. The Conditions suggested was loss of Power and Communications, both Internal and External and necessitating change of Flight Mode which may affect Aircraft and Flight Crew performance..

Even ideally then Fire Crews can only get so close. Lastly it requires the Aircraft come to a halt, only at this Time can Evacuation and Firefighting begin, but depending on where the Aircraft touches down, its speed and if it breaks or slides - this can obviously vary.

High Fuel gives obviously high land weight and high speed approach, one can attempt to Loop to reduce fuel but this option may not be available.. Worse still Wind may not be favorable either.
Sheremetyevo has another aspect that potentially can had little impact but I have spoken with a few about, namely reality of Surface Conditions (and its literal composition) that can in certain Conditions (think Wet/Freezing) make for very slippery landings. Not a soaking Day but the surface was not absolutely dry either.

The most damning Footage is that of Passengers, carrying their ryukzaky and chemodany which is to say their Luggage... Despite all a Crews Efforts and Intents, Human Factors become pretty hard realities to deal with in Evacuating a Crowd with Fight, Flight or Stupor kicking in and Commands and visuals easily being lost in the Noise and Acrid Smoke..

Again though until an Investigation is completed the only Information is from those involved Personally and recorded Data. I have seen plenty of speculation and some quite offensive Statements made about People, their Competencies and their Professionalism under pressure. Nothing I have seen backs this up thus far.

For Russians in Moscow who wish to pay respects, you can visit 2nd Floor of Terminal B, right near the Departures Board...

PRADA uber alles...

As for the response of the firefighters, you can see from the video that it was a structural failure on the second time it hit the ground is what caused the ignition of the fuel. Not much can be done at that point as a plane will burn in a couple of minutes. So much so with that explosion. Would be interesting to see the cause of the initial emergency in the first place.

I honestly don't know if an emergency was declared or not. I'd read the same thing that Grazhdanochka mentions above - that communications from the aircraft were down.

It's horrible news and I'm sure details will come out in the coming days.

That depends a bit. Often the tower is asking if the plane wants/needs assistance from the FD. They're moving out if called for sure and I think they were at the plane within two minutes or so after the touch down.

Someone posted on FB, pics of the escaping passengers, carrying their bags! I wonder how many people perished because of the time wasted getting personal belongings.