Any recommendations for sharpening systems or how to guides?
Think i might replace the edc once we are allowed out of lockdown ?

I use the Worksharp Ken Onion Edition. Works great, but takes some time to get the first use on a blade to full sharp as it creates a convex edge.

So today I treated myself to this object: Puma IP Spearhunter pocket knive with an olive wood grip.

IMG_20200402_191728492.jpg

IMG_20200402_191845468.jpg

Any recommendations for sharpening systems or how to guides?
Think i might replace the edc once we are allowed out of lockdown ?

This is a question that can't be answered in a few words.....and I have to admit that i suck at sharpening blades. For ages I have a friend who is a professional do it for me.

This thread is quite exhaustive:

A friend had one of these Lansky systems. I used it a few times and was quite satisfied with the result. But you can't compare it to a professional job.

"1892 US Military Bayonet w/ leather "Cavalry" style scabbard" -"picket pin"-

I inherited this bayonet from family. These are unusual and not typically commonly found. Brown leather scabbard was for the US Army McClellan horse cavalry saddle, the "picket pin"; the soldier regularly used this as a stake for securing his horse when encamped in the field. It often served double duty as a scabbard for the rifle bayonet, as a secondary weapon to carry into battle, cavalrymen had no bayonet...they were issued a carbine and cavalry saber. It is said that this short edged weapon was very handy in battle, so he pulled his picket pin scabbard, into which it fit quite well. This specimen has the safety retaining strap but missing the brass stud, steel hangar ring and the bayonet is dated 1896. The two straps small mounting straps and buckles that held it to the saddle, deliberately removed as not necessary if one intends to carry this rig on his waistband. Spanish American War. The soldiers would also use these when ordered to dismount with carbine only and to dismount to advance on foot, as infantry and engage enemy hand to hand. The grips are made of Walnut

image7.jpeg
\
image8.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
image5 (1).jpeg
image9.jpeg

To avoid confusion, this is a "picket pin" the Cavalry men would dump the picket pin and place the "1892 bayonet" in this sheath on their saddle. Then use it as a picket pin and weapon since it fit well in the leather picket pin sheath. Kind of a two for one

1586060553093.png

"1892 US Military Bayonet w/ leather "Cavalry" style scabbard" -"picket pin"-

I inherited this bayonet from family. These are unusual and not typically commonly found. Brown leather scabbard was for the US Army McClellan horse cavalry saddle, the "picket pin"; the soldier regularly used this as a stake for securing his horse when encamped in the field. It often served double duty as a scabbard for the rifle bayonet, as a secondary weapon to carry into battle, cavalrymen had no bayonet...they were issued a carbine and cavalry saber. It is said that this short edged weapon was very handy in battle, so he pulled his picket pin scabbard, into which it fit quite well. This specimen has the safety retaining strap but missing the brass stud, steel hangar ring and the bayonet is dated 1896. The two straps small mounting straps and buckles that held it to the saddle, deliberately removed as not necessary if one intends to carry this rig on his waistband. Spanish American War. The soldiers would also use these when ordered to dismount with carbine only and to dismount to advance on foot, as infantry and engage enemy hand to hand. The grips are made of Walnut

View attachment 214483\View attachment 214484View attachment 214485View attachment 214486View attachment 214487View attachment 214488View attachment 214489View attachment 214490
Wow! That is a fascinating family heirloom. Really nice bayonet, I didn’t even know that cavalry used them. Thanks for sharing.

Back