Photos Italo-Turkish war in Libya 1911

NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
After I posted the pic of Italian camel artillery, I looked for a few more. Not easy to find non-copyrighted pics, but here are a few.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo-Turkish_War

Italian naval landing party near Tripoli
0000.itw1.jpg

Italian fighting position. Notice the early style desert helmets (called Topi)
0000.itw2.jpg

Italian battle cruiser. The Regia Marina was the primary factor in Italy's win.
0000.itw3.jpg

Turkish Red Crescent workers led by a surgeon
0000.itw4.jpg

Italian Regia Aeronautica (air force) in its infancy. It would have taken a stout heart to fly over enemy lines in something like this
0000.itw6.jpg

0000.itw7.jpg

Turkish recruits drilling
0000.itw8.jpg

Italian officers with captured Turkish flag
0000.itw9.jpg

Turkish regular army with Libyan native levies
0000.itw10.jpg

Italians hanged 11 Turks. I haven't been able to learn for what offence they were sentenced to death.
0000.itw11.jpg

More Italian camel artillery.
0000.itw12.jpg

0000.itw5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you NebrHogger for these wonderful picsA ! I have not seen most of them !

Turkish regular army with Libyan native levies
View attachment 152649

Here We see Mustafa Kemal who later became the leader of the Turkish War of Independence and founder of the Turkish Republic. As a major He was one of the young officers who undercoverly deployed in Libya to organize and command the rebels against Italian forces in 1911

Some more photos of him in Libya with his soldiers

mFI83Rj.jpg

fWFmnfS.jpg

His undercover Identitiy "Sherif" as an Arab mercant that he was used to trainsit Libya in 1911
BAymBPg.jpg

One of his well known later photos as the president of the Turkey, late 1930s...

ZUEV0Ik.jpg

After I posted the pic of Italian camel artillery, I looked for a few more. Not easy to find non-copyrighted pics, but here are a few.

Italians hanged 11 Turks. I haven't been able to learn for what offence they were sentenced to death.
View attachment 152650

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...o-had-opposed-the-italian-picture-id501381939

execution of 14 men who had opposed the Italian occupation, during the war between Italy and the Ottoman Empire - 1911/1912

Some more images from my archives

Ottoman cavalry saluting the Libyan recruits in Derna

p80z0Ok.jpg

Ottoman soldiers showing the weapons captured from Italian forces

9KaaGST.jpg

Ottoman gunners in Tripoli

V2Bt5DB.jpg

Italian Zeppelins bombing the ground. First time in the world history aerial bombings were used in Libya by Italians but were mostly good at physiological warfare. Most of the Ottoman soldiers viewed them as "divine disaster"

HUiNZvj.jpg

Wounded Ottoman soldiers and Italian POWs in Ottoman field hospital

smBQAtO.jpg

Last edited:
DENO, thank you for posting these - enjoyed them very much ! There aren't many sources for photos of lesser known conflicts such as this one.

Great photos, but this is definitely not Libya. Mongolia or Russian Far East. And Lewis gun wasn't available during this conflict.

The Google says its Mongolian troops from the Russian Civil War of 1917-22 which seems very accurate to me judging from the enviroment and Asian face types

Once again, I learn not to trust Wikipedia! :oops:
I use Wikipedia a lot but I always double check on other sites before trusting it ;)

Update: @NebrHogger this seems like a good reason to start a "Russian Civil War" thread, it appears we have nothing on that conflict which surprises me. I have moved that image to a new thread mate (Y)

Last edited: