Photos AR-15 style rifles in military and police service

IDF
M4 SBR/Commando/CQBR
in-the-gaza-strip-on-october-30th-v0-wj5r7kro3hxb1.jpg

IDF
M4 SBR/Commando/CQBR
View attachment 462431
That's none of those models. Looks like they stripped the A1 upper on that CAR-15 Model 653, chopped the barrel, and used purchased or given M4 spare part uppers and used the with the A1 upper parts that came stripped from the A1 uppers that were on them. The teardrop forward assist is a dead giveaway, the other is the pencil barrel with A1 birdcage flash suppressor. Technical note, but m4's come with the round forward assists, not the teardrop.

Transitional M4's before they became known and officially named as the M4, was the Model 723, A1 CH upper with the A2 shell deflector, teardrop FA, and either M4 barrels or the 653 barrel.

Another interesting detail is that they all aren't issued the same Eotech model, and those pictured seemed to be hooked up from private purchases. Far left, is the only one with the PEQ. Left, has a Magpul hand stop on the left which is a strange place for it and a Troy rear BUIS. Right, has no BUIS at all and the M4 they were given all came with a Matech rear BUIS among many other things like the A2 forward round assist. Far right is carrying from what I can easily see is a stock CAR-15 with either a waffle M4 or most likely the original CAR stock (image is blurred to tell which though).

Off topic, but they have the stare going on of seeing the elephant. Prayers that they're not traumatized mentally by it in their later years.

Edit to add, those are either the Mekut'zrar or the Mekut'zar which again, were Israeli modifications to the Model 653.

Additional edit for those wanting to nerd out on the weeds of this: https://thehebrewhammer.net/2014/11/20/idf-m16-variants-menusar/

It's incorrectly called the Menusar but a veteran from the IDF in the comments corrected this but wasn't changed to by the OP so please disregard what he's calling it.

Last edited:
That's none of those models. Looks like they stripped the A1 upper on that CAR-15 Model 653, chopped the barrel, and used M4 uppers with the A1 upper parts. The teardrop forward assist is a dead giveaway, the other is the pencil barrel with A1 birdcage flash suppressor, M4's.

Another interesting detail is that they all aren't issued the same Eotech model, and those pictured seemed to be hooked up from private purchases. Far left, is the only one with the PEQ. Left, has a Magpul hand stop on the left which is a strange place for it and a Troy rear BUIS. Right, has no BUIS at all and the M4 they were given all came with a Matech rear BUIS among many other things like the A2 forward round assist. Far right is carrying from what I can easily see is a stock CAR-15 with either a waffle M4 or most likely the original CAR stock (image is blurred to tell which though).

Off topic, but they have the stare going on of seeing the elephant. Prayers that they're not traumatized mentally by it in their later years.
Thanks for the info. That was helpful. I guess, I got confused with the accessories. This picture & your comment is going in my 'Decoding Firearms' folder because of those Modifications on it. If possible please suggest some platforms where I can learn more about AR-15 style firearms (Especially those in service with the security forces).

Thanks for the info. That was helpful. I guess, I got confused with the accessories. This picture & your comment is going in my 'Decoding Firearms' folder because of those Modifications on it. If possible please suggest some platforms where I can learn more about AR-15 style firearms (Especially those in service with the security forces).
Create an account on arfcom (AR.15.com) and lurk in the technical threads, they all have picture threads and there's a crazy amount of clone threads for almost each type and even law enforcement to even movies like Blood Diamond (It's the same rifle that was used in Blackhawk Down which is why it has a cult following). Some pic threads though, are not correctly named so there's a good amount of wheat to be separated from the chaff.

You don't need an account though being a paid member means no stupid ads. There's also the basic member but with ads, or just lurk. But if you do decide to join, beware of the trolls, angry old men, site agitators, and agent provocateurs. There's even hall monitors who get angry because no one uses the search function because the site staff admit that it's pretty broken and don't mind yet the hall monitor does and links to those threads (lol, he's trying super hard to become a mod is what we all have noted).

Another but more technical primer is here and without the edginess and more to the in depth weeds, The Clones.

And I won't mind being asked questions on here so long as there's not a fusillade daily of them.

I'm so old that my first issued rifle was the M16A1 but not that old because my last issued rifle was the M4.

Last edited:
British armed police officer bearing LMT CQB 5.56mm assault rifle day after the London Bridge terror attack in November 2019.

View attachment 462609
I wonder if that laser was issued with or was a private purchase. There's no BUIS, no back up red dot in place of a BUIS set, so this leads me believe that this is for possibly signaling purposes per SOP and or for active aiming in an emergency should the actual sight becomes inoperable.

I'd be interested to see if this was zeroed parallel to or converging.

NYPD ESU during New Year's Eve recently. They are bearing Colt LE6940 5.56mm patrol rifles.

416584399_1431678061066218_5243678925294444276_n.jpg

NYPD ESU during New Year's Eve recently. They are bearing Colt LE6940 5.56mm patrol rifles.

View attachment 464334
Interesting notes to unpack here. Guy on the right definitely has the right mindset for that job's task with the stock at his preferred length of pull with that plate carrier and inner daily wear vest. Guy on the left looks like a soup sandwich and not taking his task seriously and just there to get paid and being bossy if he can get away with cause job perks; his rifle is not setup for instant threat engagement, just for looks. Longer arms than his short stack partner yet the stock is fully collapsed meaning he's not ready to instantly engage to protect the residents right away; 10/10 I would not feel safe if he was there to stop the threat during danger.

There are other indicators meaning he's not taking this seriously such as noise canceling ear pros not engaged (which enhances hearing period and matters for situation awareness), and that he's hotdogging the patrol rifle to show off that he's a tough guy, lol.

Disclaimer, nothing against the NYPD or cops in general but when they look like unprofessional twits it sets off my WTF radar.

Glad to see that their rifles are all configured the same for commonality but their choice of weapon light when throw and spill is yuge for cops, is eyebrow raising. It's an Insight WML single cell for anyone interested into the actual specs. usually those using these lights use night vision predominantly and have IR filter caps on them.

That's a Colt Model 635 to anyone wanting to nerd out on this.

I had the pleasure to fire this weapon with the special forces of the Colombian Army at their shooting range. Not too much recoil on this weapon.
My country (Turkey) has it's copy as SAR-109T, they are very nasty weapons.

Last edited:
The Thais went from hand-me-downs to well equipped, very confident in their tools, looking very fit, and by their postures they're wanting to be there (well motivated). Other than a few bridged Aimpoint Comp M4's on a non monolithic rail upper and free float handguard, 10/10 would not underestimate these guys from doing the needful.