Photos US Forces

Hello to anyone willing to read this. I am looking for any possible photos of my father who served in Vietnam. All the photos he had, were thrown out by his ex-wife, and the oldest photos that we now have of him were when my parents were married 40 years ago.

My father served between '64 and '69. Was a warrant officer and flew Huey UH-1D gunships. He was in the 1st Cavalry.

We do have his Rotary Wing Training Class graduation photos, but due to the quality, it is very difficult to make out his face. Class number was 64-09 in Ft. Rucker.

Thanks to anyone that may be able or willing to help.

Hello to anyone willing to read this. I am looking for any possible photos of my father who served in Vietnam. All the photos he had, were thrown out by his ex-wife, and the oldest photos that we now have of him were when my parents were married 40 years ago.

My father served between '64 and '69. Was a warrant officer and flew Huey UH-1D gunships. He was in the 1st Cavalry.

We do have his Rotary Wing Training Class graduation photos, but due to the quality, it is very difficult to make out his face. Class number was 64-09 in Ft. Rucker.

Thanks to anyone that may be able or willing to help.
J Gertig Ft Rucker, AL1964.jpeg

Hanging ordnance.
m3.jpg
Humping the bush near Nha Trang, 1972
m2.jpg

New American kit for sale at an open air market. At the same time, we often had trouble getting boots. Also at the market - never buy watches
or alcohol. Watches would run 2 or 3 days if you were lucky. A fellow in my company bought what he thought was Johnny Walker, but it sure smelled like ether to me!
m1.jpg

Last edited:
Something seemed odd about the 2nd pic. It came to me they're not wearing flak jackets so it might be a posed shot.

I wore mine without fail!

Soldiers unload from a CH-47A Chinook to conduct a helicopter combat assault and a one day search and destroy mission in the Quang Ngai Province, 26 October 1967
x0tjzfmcgdy91.jpg

A staff sergeant of D Company, 1st Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. September-October 1970
xx2wk6xcz80a1.jpg

Soldiers of Bravo Company, 2nd Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment “No Slack”, 101st Airborne Division. April 1972
ez9ts5o9tl0a1.jpg

US Navy SEAL X-Ray Platoon in 1970, with the photo taken on a dock near Ben Tre in Southeast Vietnam. The SEAL in the center of the group armed with the Stoner 63A1 Mk 23 Mod 0 Commando with a short 15.7 inch barrel is Lt. Michael Collins.
5o4endc38l0a1.jpg

Collins attended Underwater Demolition Team Replacement Accession training with Class 039 at NAB Coronado, California, from May to November 1966, and then served with Underwater Demolition Team ELEVEN (UDT-11) at NAB Coronado from November 1966 to June 1968. His next assignment was with the Studies and Observations Group under the U.S. Military Assistance Command Vietnam from June 1968 to July 1969, followed by service with SEAL Team ONE at NAB Coronado from July 1969 until he was killed in action while deployed to South Vietnam on March 4, 1971. Michael Collins was buried at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego, California.

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Lieutenant Michael Raymond Collins, United States Navy, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action during operations against enemy forces in the Republic of Vietnam on 30 January 1971. As leader of a fifteen-man SEAL patrol assigned the mission of capturing the leaders of the Saigon-Cholon foreign proselyting section, Lieutenant Collins successfully led two of his three elements through a heavily booby trapped enemy area before encountering heavy automatic weapons fire from a large enemy force. Remaining calm, he strategically deployed his force to counter the enemy fire, and then ordered his radioman to scramble air support to aid in suppressing the fire of the well-dug-in enemy force. Simultaneously, he called for helicopters to evacuate his casualties. Lieutenant Collins moved about the area to survey the situation and discovered that one of his men had been fatally wounded and two were critically wounded by the initial volley of enemy fire. When the corpsman arrived at the scene, Lieutenant Collins was administering mouth to mouth resuscitation to one of his stricken teammates, following which he returned to the security element and continued to direct a heavy volume of fire toward the enemy. While members of the patrol were boarding the SEAL Support Craft, the Vietnamese interpreter was wounded by enemy fire. Lieutenant Collins, fully exposing himself to the withering fire, dragged the wounded man to a small ditch and administered first aid. He then carried the man to the boat through a continuous rain of fire from the pursuing enemy and directed the boat to get underway to a secure location where he supervised the evacuation of his stricken comrades. By his calm, cool, and decisive actions in the face of withering enemy fire, Lieutenant Collins prevented almost certain disaster for the entire platoon at the hands of a vastly outnumbering force. His inspiring performance of duty was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

B Company, 720th MP Battalion, 18th MP Brigade, Vietnam, 1970
ht4lst0e461a1.jpg

The 720th MP Battalion was unique amongst other MP units in Vietnam due to the fact they had their own TAOR, or Tactical Area of Responsibility. They operated as light infantry and ran patrols, ambush and reconnaissance, and they worked with the brown water Navy to perform river patrols as well. This was called Operation STABILIZE and it ran from September 1967 till July 1970.

Alfonso Rivero on a M134 minigun mounted to a Huey gunship from the 20th Special Operations Squadron 'Green Hornets' during the Vietnam War.
nvzqbjzfpz1a1.png

Born in Cuba, he joined the Air Force in 1966 and shipped to Vietnam in 1969 as Crew Chief and Gunner for the 20th SOS Green Hornets. He did two extended tours with the Hornets until early 1972 and accrued over 1,000 combat hours on UH-1P and UH-1N Gunships and Slicks. Became squadron SEFE and was awarded 25 Air Medals and 5 Distinguished Flying Crosses for acts of heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight.

The second wave of combat helicopters of the 1st Air Cavalry Division fly over an RTO and his commander on an isolated landing zone during Operation Pershing, a search and destroy mission on the Bong Son Plain and An Lao Valley of South Vietnam, during the Vietnam War. The two American soldiers are waiting for the second wave to come in.
ratio3x2_1200.jpg

MACV SOG Recon Team Idaho during a training ladder extraction. SOG often extracted through tree canopies under extreme duress and enemy fire.
Photo taken by Ken Bowra.
zfwhhqgrsc4a1.jpg

Troopers of Delta Company, 2nd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment on patrol 25 miles north of Saigon, April 1972
x9nkpn3y0q8a1.jpg

Green Berets from the 5th Special Forces Group, FOB Kham Duc, February 1967.
5hjvz97r6z8a1.jpg