Movie / TV Uknown Soldier

Commented on this movie last year under trailers thread:

"I saw the movie. Trailer is misleading, this is not an action movie. Very few (and I might add unimpressive) battle scenes. Once again, chase the 1980s version or even the original one".

Commented on this movie last year under trailers thread:

"I saw the movie. Trailer is misleading, this is not an action movie. Very few (and I might add unimpressive) battle scenes. Once again, chase the 1980s version or even the original one".
I'll keep an eye out for the other versions. My knowledge of the book and prior versions is minimal. I agree the pacing is not action-focused, more slow pacing with brief action moments. All in all a decent film but distracting with the length at 3 hours.

It is not a bad movie, though it is not an action movie. Thus, if it is advertised as one, it is incorrect. It is a war movie, it tells a fictional story of a machine gun platoon and company from 1941 to 1944, a long period of time.

My opinion on all three films are:

Tuntematon sotilas (1955): the "original" version. It is a Finnish classic. I first saw it when I was around 8, I think. This movie is shown on national television on every December 6th and to many Finns this is the version. Personally, I feel this one is most loyal to the original novel. Action scenes are not particularly impressive, but the feeling the atmosphere is there. Pacing is fine, between battle scenes and times of relative peace. Even though the movie tells a grim tale it is at times humorous and even optimistic.
The first scene is touching: Finlandia playing as decimated MG platoon is retreating across Ladoga Karelia and the few who remain carry their wounded and deceased across a field.

Tuntematon sotilas (1985): I have only seen it a couple of times. Compared to 1955 version, this one is much darker, grimly realistic in its approach. While 1955's version is more positive and happy, this one is pessimistic. The horror of war is shown more than in 1955's version. Many scenes that make 1955's version lighter are missing or understated. Of all three this one is most a war movie.

Tuntematon sotilas (2017): It is of course a product of a different era. Graphically it is more impressive: scenes are well made. Though I can't help but feel that this movie is at points more about corporal Rokka than the entire MG platoon, like older version were. It is not necessarily a bad thing but at points stands out.
This is also the only version that shows the home front. Earlier versions concentrate on the platoon itself while this one shows scenes like Rokka seeing his family in Karelian isthmus or Kariluoto visiting his fiancee just before the star of the war. It adds a different depth to the movie compared to others. Personally I think that the best version of this movie is actually the TV series version. It is even longer (around 90min) but gives even more depth.

All in all, while they all tell the same tale, they are very different movies.

As movies I'd rate them like this:
1) 1955
2) 2017
3) 1985

All three have their strong and weaker points but in the end it's hard to beat the classic.

i saw the trailer , it was basically an emotionally sensitive soldier with a Staal Helm helmet ?

Tuntematon sotilas (1955): the "original" version. It is a Finnish classic. I first saw it when I was around 8, I think. This movie is shown on national television on every December 6th and to many Finns this is the version. Personally, I feel this one is most loyal to the original novel. Action scenes are not particularly impressive, but the feeling the atmosphere is there. Pacing is fine, between battle scenes and times of relative peace. Even though the movie tells a grim tale it is at times humorous and even optimistic.
The first scene is touching: Finlandia playing as decimated MG platoon is retreating across Ladoga Karelia and the few who remain carry their wounded and deceased across a field.

As movies I'd rate them like this:
1) 1955
2) 2017
3) 1985

All three have their strong and weaker points but in the end it's hard to beat the classic.

I really agree with this review.

The 1955 version reminds me of my grandfather who fought in all of the wars. People of that era acted like the people in the movie. They really were like that, they pushed on with dark humor. I remember reading a review by a veteran who said "The 1985 version was a good movie but the 1955 was like real life." I think the 1955 is classic, because it was filmed by veterans, written by veterans and acted by veterans. It's written like a parody because life is like that (I say this with almost 30 years of experience on living)

The newer versions are too gloomy, I don't think those people would have survived the mental strains of war.

[video]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
[/video]

Last edited: