Technology Olkiluoto 3 : Project from hell

PEMM

Mi Captain
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
Finland
New setback for the Finnish EPR, which is more than 12 years late

HELSINKI (Reuters) – Finnish group Teollisuuden Voima Oyj (TVO), operator of the Olkiluoto nuclear power plant, announced on Friday that the commissioning of the EPR Olkiluoto-3 reactor was almost a year later.

With this postponement from March 2021 to February 2022, the Olkiluoto pressurized EPR reactor, built by a consortium uniting the French Areva and the German Siemens, is now more than twelve years behind the initial schedule.

“The fuel will be loaded into the reactor in March 2021, this unit will be connected to the electricity grid in October of the same year and regular electricity production will begin in February 2022”, said TVO, adding that this new schedule had been put forward by its supplier, the Franco-German consortium Areva-Siemens.

This EPR reactor should have been completed in 2009 for the start of electricity production in 2010.

(Anne Kauranen and Tarmo Virki; French version Myriam Rivet, edited by Jean-Philippe Lefief)

Some years ago:
Olkiluoto 3 in Finland is the second most expensive building in the world

The Olkiluoto 3 nuclear power plant in Finland is the second most expensive building in the world. It is second only to the luxury hotel complex Abraj al-Bait in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

The powerplant being built in Eurajoki was originally supposed to cost 3,2 Billion euros in 2003. The project has suffered delays and is now expected to be complete ten years late in 2019. The price for the purchaser, TVO, the total price is now some 5,5 Billion.

Now it's only third: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_buildings

I bet when they finally start in 2042, the components are so old that it has to be demolished.

In China they started building similar reactors five years later, commissioned 2018-2019.

But none of them seem to be doing very well, budget wise.

Last edited:
Over here that will already be be investigated for corruption

We don't have corruption in Finland, silly.

Got to remember that this is mainly a private enterprise.

The real problem is that Areva just can't meet the quality requirements set by Finnish authorities. Some components they've had to produce twice or even three times. The original schedule was way over optimistic in the first place, considering amounts of completely new components and production methods. It didn't bother the owners of the facility that much, as it was supposed to be a lump sum, key turn deal.

Last edited:
Ah I see how stupid of me to even suggest that there is a such a thing as corruption in Finland. My humblest mistake. :D

You really have people in Finland who think there is no corruption.

However I don't think it's the sensible assumption. There is a long wiki list of things that went wrong...

Kinda like what happened to our Nuclear Powerplant, went into delays and for a number of reason. But being smart we decided that hwne it was done and ready to start... we didnt. Talk about a waste