Photos Israeli Defence Forces

Not really a navy guy, but I'm pretty sure that's the exhaust outlet.

Hmm, seems mighty close to the water line. I will see if anything comes up, was just curious mil-smile07

however back in 2006 there was missile strike on the INS Hanit(a Sa'ar 5 corvette) with one missile hitting the crane on the side of the helicopter hanger. Staff Sergeant Tal Amgar, Corporal Shai Atas, Sergeant Yaniv Hershkovitz, and First Sergeant Dov Steinshuss all lost their lives. The missiles were fired by Hezbollah and IRGC personnel.

Last edited:
however back in 2006 there was missile strike on the INS Hanit(a Sa'ar 5 corvette) with one missile hitting the crane on the side of the helicopter hanger. Staff Sergeant Tal Amgar, Corporal Shai Atas, Sergeant Yaniv Hershkovitz, and First Sergeant Dov Steinshuss all lost their lives. The missiles were fired by Hezbollah and IRGC personnel.

Just seen your resource about the attack mate, is this not the same ship ?

yes i decided to upload the PDF after answering the question so others would be able to see it

Awesome work mate, you truly are the God of internet research :)
I was sure that the marks at the side of the ship were due to some kind of attack and you have reassured that this old man is not losing his marbles mil-smile04

https://www.militaryimages.net/military-resources/attack-on-ins-hanit.46/

The damage on the INS Hanit was in the hangar itself:

uduvsd3.jpg

I remember people mistaking the exhaust for the damage back then, as well.

Here are some random navy ship images I came across, all also showing the exhaust on the lower side:

2liseRK.jpg

wiBKLC6.jpg

4K7gaqd.jpg

The image I posted is recent and not necessarily of Hanit.

Ah I see, my initial suspicions were that the exhaust was way too close to the water line (but Im no Navy guy either) thanks for that buddy :)

So this old guy may still be losing his marbles? mil-smile02

Last edited:
Ah I see, my initial suspicions were that the exhaust was way too close to the water line (but Im no Navy guy either) thanks for that buddy :)

So this old may still be losing his marbles? mil-smile02

The only reason I know this is because people had the same discussion back on MP.NET, a long time ago.

As for the location for the exhaust, my guess would be in order to limit the visual signature of the ship.

Makes sense to me mate :) just wondered about high seas when the engines were not running. I am learning day by day (Y)

Has this ship been damaged in some way?

These are the exhaust holes of the ship. Most of the new generation naval vessels have these type of on-body exhaust placement that ends near the body to decrease thermal view of the vessel as well as to increase the engine performance since the smoke is making less distance to quit...

Why do the IDF troops train in Cyprus ? ( I just know the answer will be obvious) ;)

Simple answer is that it's right next door to Israel, offers a chance to train at mobilizing & transporting troops, offers unfamiliar training grounds and it's always good to train with other armies.

More complicated answer has to do with the Mediterranean gas fields & the schism between Israel & Turkey, which led to the former to strengthen it's ties with Cyprus.

Last edited:
January 2018...the entire Paratroopers Brigade is participating in a large-scale exercise on land and in the air, simulating combat scenarios in desert and urban warfare. The Israeli Air Force, the 188th Armored Brigade, and other special units also took part in the exercise.

Photos by IDF Spokesperson's Unit.

Paratroopers Brigade Exercise by Israel Defense Forces, on Flickr