Question? India - Rupee's

colin traveller

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
TAARB
Where in the Uk is it possible to buy Rupee's before departing for India or do you have to exchange your British Money there when you arrive .

Not for me someone I work with is going there for there honeymoon and she can't source them in Glasgow at all

Foreign and Commonwealth office is your best bet for queries like this - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india/money

There are restrictions on bringing Indian rupees into India. Visitors, including tourists, are not permitted to bring any amount of Indian currency into the country. If you’re resident in India, you can bring up to INR 25,000 into the country.

If you’re visiting India, you can bring cash or travellers’ cheques (in pounds sterling or another foreign currency) and/or a bank card with you and exchange or withdraw rupees once in India. You will have to declare any amount exceeding US$5,000 in notes, or US$10,000 in notes and travellers’ cheques combined.

Hi Mate, which port of entry is she coming to India. There are so many money exchange in all international airport in India. As soon, as she steps out of immigration first thing she will notice as money exchange. If she can't exchange in UK it won't be a problem. If her port of entry is Mumbai, please do let me know.

Foreign and Commonwealth office is your best bet for queries like this - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india/money

There are restrictions on bringing Indian rupees into India. Visitors, including tourists, are not permitted to bring any amount of Indian currency into the country. If you’re resident in India, you can bring up to INR 25,000 into the country.

If you’re visiting India, you can bring cash or travellers’ cheques (in pounds sterling or another foreign currency) and/or a bank card with you and exchange or withdraw rupees once in India. You will have to declare any amount exceeding US$5,000 in notes, or US$10,000 in notes and travellers’ cheques combined.
One has to declare at custom, however, in order to be free from the mess, best is to get if possible some Rs and exchanged rest here.

Hi Mate, which port of entry is she coming to India. There are so many money exchange in all international airport in India. As soon, as she steps out of immigration first thing she will notice as money exchange. If she can't exchange in UK it won't be a problem. If her port of entry is Mumbai, please do let me know.
She is going to Goa ... for her Honeymoon .. Do you work in the Airport .. at one of the outlets in the place ?

She is going straight to Goa

Last edited:
She is going to Goa ... for her Honeymoon .. Do you work in the Airport .. at one of the outlets in the place ?
She is going straight to Goa
I don't work in the Airport nor any of the outlet. I have worked in Goa for years and a half many years ago. Goa has a new terminal and from what I heard it is not good to exchanged money at the airport, as their exchange rate is ridiculous so better get the desired amount like enough to go hotel taxi fare and other trivial things. Once you are in hotel ask for an exchange and get the best deal, most banks do accept exchange and also that way your friend can save lots of money. Goa I generally divide in three-part south, central and north. South has some clean beaches but few commercial activities but central where capital is where all the things you will get and north is where 60% of the tourist will go. Also, if yr friend is carrying any debit card or visa or MasterCard go to any ATM and withdrew cash, most ATM accepts that and their fee are very nominal, however, make sure to inform their banks otherwise card may get block.

Back