Politics German Politics & News

muck

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
Germany
Two months from now, 60.4 million Germans will be called to the ballot box to determine the successor of Angela Merkel as Chancellor of Germany. The elections fall into a time of great polarisation. The campaigns are rife with personal scandals (e.g. plagiarism by Greens leader Annalena Baerbock) and corruption allegations against Merkel's CDU. The recession, counter-pandemic policies and climate change will all be focal points, with a dramatic shift to the latter in recent weeks due to catastrophic flooding that killed at least 189.

I'll use this thread to post the news as they come. In early September, the official political compass ("Wahl-o-mat") for the elections will become accessible. Some of the questions are obviously very specific ("Should we build an airport in Bumfuck, Saxony?"), but should you people be interested in knowing for whom you'd like to vote if you were residents of this whirlwind of insanity which we call Germany, react to this post with a fist bump to let me know you'd care for a translation of those approximately 40 questions.

Note that the Chancellor is not elected by popular vote but rather appointed by the new parliament at the proposal of the President. By unwritten law, the President is bound to propose as Chancellor the nominee of the largest caucus (though in theory anyone eligible to be elected to parliament could be made Chancellor). The major parties running for election are as follows (ordered by their 2017 election results):
  • Christian Democratic Union¹ (Christlich Demokratische Union, CDU). Runs in fifteen of sixteen states. Produced five Chancellors. Socially centrist, economically centre-right. Includes a rightist internal minority. Traditionally strong in rural areas and amongst older segments of the population. Candidate: Armin Laschet, Governor of North Rhine-Westphalia.
  • Christian Social Union¹ (Christlich Soziale Union, CSU). Runs only in Bavaria (instead of CDU). Has governed Bavaria since 1957. Socially centre-right, economically centre-right. Includes a rightist internal minority. Traditionally strong in rural areas, amongst older segments of the population and churchgoers. Candidate: see above.
  • Social Democratic Party¹ (Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands, SPD). Produced four Chancellors. Socially left-leaning, economically centre-left. Includes a dwindling centrist minority. Traditionally strong in cities, amongst older segments of the population and immigrants. Candidate: Olaf Scholz, Vice Chancellor of Germany.
  • Alternative for Germany (Alternative für Deutschland, AfD). Socially rightist, economically centre-right. Considered partially extremist. Traditionally strong in Eastern Germany. Candidates: Tino Chrupalla, MP and Alice Weidel, MP.
  • Free Democratic Party³ (Freie Demokratische Partei, FDP). Socially centre-left, economically right-leaning. Traditionally strong amongst the self-employed and wealthy. Candidate: Christian Lindner, MP.
  • The Left² (Die Linke). Socially leftist, economically leftist. Considered partially extremist. Traditionally strong in Eastern Germany, amongst the poor and amongst immigrants. Candidates: Dietmar Bartsch, MP and Janine Wissler.
  • The Greens² (Bündnis 90/Die Grünen). Socially centre-left, economically left-leaning. Includes a centrist internal minority. Traditionally strong in some cities, rich rural areas and amongst the youth. Candidate: Annalena Baerbock, MP.
The following parties also have a realistic chance of skipping the caucus recognition clause:
  • Non-aligned Voters³ (Freie Wähler, FW). Socially centrist, economically centrist. Traditionally strong in rural areas. Nominated no candidate.
¹ Currently in government​
² Currently in at least one state government as a majority partner​
³ Currently in at least one state government as a minority partner​
Parties must win 5% of the national vote or three seats to enter parliament​
Some German parties nominate multiple leaders to reflect different leanings within their organisation or promote their understanding of social justice. Obviously, only one individual could be elected Chancellor by parliament.​

Here's the latest aggregate poll:

Party
July 3—August 2, in %
2017 Elections, in %
2021 trend
CDU/CSU
SPD
AfD
FDP
Left
Greens
FW
others

(average taken from 8 polls between July 3 and August 2)

Last edited:
Fᴜck. me.
Germany's Green party said Tuesday that it would seek to introduce a new climate protection ministry with the power to veto government policies if it becomes part of the next coalition following September's general elections. The proposed new ministry would be able to veto proposals of any nature from other ministries which were “incompatible” with the aims of the Paris climate accord of keeping global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius, said Annalena Baerbock [.]
(Source)

Earlier this year, Annalena Baerbock published a non-fiction book titled Jetzt. Wie wir unser Land erneuern ("Now. How to renew our country"). Widely seen as her application for chancellorship, it contains numerous passages copied from speeches, scientific studies and other books without citation. Several people – including American politologist Michael T. Klare – have said they were never approached by Baerbock for permission.

She was also accused of attempting to embellish her résumé, claiming to be a scientific fellow or member of several organisations (most notably the German Marshall Fund and the German office of the UNHCR) when in reality, she'd only done third-party work for them and, in one case, only donated money to the organisation. Baerbock has since updated her résumé, blaming the discrepancies on miscommunication among her aides.

As for the CDU; several parliamentarians of the organisation – including a frontbencher – stand accused of receiving money from pivate companies in exchange for their arranging deals to sell medical equipment to the government during last year's health crisis. Their candidate, Armin Laschet, also got into hot water because a company represented by his son sold face masks to the North Rhine-Westphalian State Police.

Unlike the others, Laschet's office did make the deal public; they argued the company represented by his son was only awarded a contract because other firms were unwilling to sell the police as many face masks as required at the time, which actually seems to be true from what I can tell. Laschet junior has not received a commission for brokering the contract. Neither him or nor his father are the target of an investigation.

I don't have a crystal ball but I'd wager the Greens are going to get nowhere close to where they are being projected. Their share in the vote is going to drop dramatically. I can sense it while voiding my urin.

German greenies can go to hell as far as I’m concerned.

Especially since one of their « goal » is to limit car speed on the Autobahn at 130km/h or something.

There’s a reason Deutschland has spawned BMW, Audi or Mercedes, it’s not to drive like a c*ck on the right lane.

There’s a reason Deutschland has spawned BMW, Audi or Mercedes, it’s not to drive like a c*ck on the right lane.
I thought it was just to drive like a c*ck or is that just BMW

How are the 'greens' going to try and stop a 'warming' of 1.5 degrees - bomb China :rolleyes:

Jerman's will just vote for more of the same - mass immigration and a slow downward slide back to the Deutsche Mark

The "Greenies" really showed their true colours today. They posted a picture on their Twitter with their leaders – all of them female – coming together for some sort of photo opportunity. The shot was titled with something along the lines of: "Meanwhile, all CDU has to offer is old white men." But they'd photoshopped three men out, I shıt you not. Even better, the men deleted from the picture were immigrants. But cunning as the Greenies are, they flipped the tables and accuse the media of racism for calling the men who were apparently born here "immigrants".
I don't have a crystal ball but I'd wager the Greens are going to get nowhere close to where they are being projected. Their share in the vote is going to drop dramatically. I can sense it while voiding my urin.
I'm not as optimistic about that. I mean, their campaign is what it is because it does resonate with some people. And the idiocy is strong with some people (and then some). The very fact that those morons have the nerve to fuss about their candidate being female when a woman just got done ruling Germany longer than anybody else show how caught up in their obsessions this wretched society really is.

Last edited:
Is the "energy security" like North Stream 2 an election issue in the elections and if so, where do different parties stand on it?

The current administration is an outspoken advocate of the pipeline. The project was orchestrated by Gerhard Schröder, the last Social Democrat elected Chancellor. He is a close friend of Putin's and works for Gazprom, leaving a sour taste in everybody else's mouth.

Having said that, Germany is left without a cheap alternative to Russian gas in the short-term. Because of this, the Greens and Free Democrats begrudgingly accept NS2 (though the former are under pressure from their radical elements to end the use of fossile fuels après moi, le déluge-style).

However, FDP would rather buy American-made liquid gas instead. Last but not least, AfD and The Left: They aren't exactly advocates of the project, but both parties favour Germany aligning with Russia over America. They go against everything that goes against Russia's interests.

Generally, no one doubts Russia will honour its contract. Not even during the Cold War they ever shut our gas tap. As a consequence, CDU argues that NS2 increases Europe's energy security since Germany could reroute gas to Poland and Czechia should their relations with Russia get any worse.

Last edited:
The "Greenies" really showed their true colours today. They posted a picture on their Twitter with their leaders – all of them female – coming together for some sort of photo opportunity. The shot was titled with something along the lines of: "Meanwhile, all CDU has to offer is old white men." But they'd photoshopped three men out, I shıt you not. Even better, the men deleted from the picture were immigrants. But cunning as the Greenies are, they flipped the tables and accuse the media of racism for calling the men who were apparently born here "immigrants".

I'm not as optimistic about that. I mean, their campaign is what it is because it does resonate with some people. And the idiocy is strong with some people (and then some). The very fact that those morons have the nerve to fuss about their candidate being female when a woman just got done ruling Germany longer than anybody else show how caught up in their obsessions this wretched society really is.

Indeed, the various Green and progressive parties are growing in popularity a lot.

Their "ideas" are "appealing" to the masses, and their talking points are the trending ones: diversity and inclusion (though it has been shown, in the end, once applied there is neither one or the other), global warming, redistribution of wealth, anti-racism, metoo, etc...

Indeed, the various Green and progressive parties are growing in popularity a lot.

Their "ideas" are "appealing" to the masses, and their talking points are the trending ones: diversity and inclusion (though it has been shown, in the end, once applied there is neither one or the other), global warming, redistribution of wealth, anti-racism, metoo, etc...
Green just means more tax - perhaps if they did not breed then you would be okay (Y)

Green just means more tax - perhaps if they did not breed then you would be okay (Y)

Yeah, the Aussie or Kiwis would call them « watermelon », green on the outside and red (commie) inside. In France, there’s the same pattern of the red, green alliance which hopefully never get any close to power on a national level. What they do in the French cities they have won is more than enough.

Yeah, the Aussie or Kiwis would call them « watermelon », green on the outside and red (commie) inside. In France, there’s the same pattern of the red, green alliance which hopefully never get any close to power on a national level. What they do in the French cities they have won is more than enough.
The Greens have been on the decline for a while in Australia partly because of Marxist infiltration and their policies being co-opted by Labor governments.

You might be right. There is a strong possibility the Greens make it into a ruling coalition, what is beyond question, though is this: the Greens will stay true to their nature. That means they'll inevitably overreach and embark on ridiculous moral crusades and begin alienating any and all moderates who voted for them.

My personal take on the upcoming election is this:

Voting CDU under Laschet: Essentially saying everything that went on during the last 16 years was totally "dufte" and needs to be even escalated.

Voting FDP: A one-man show-party that offers lukewarm opposition, voting for them would literally amount to going "meh".

Voting SPD: Essentially giving up on life, while pretending to stand up for the average Jörg-Sechs-Dosen-Pilsener.

Voting Greens: Finally connecting to that side of yours that always wanted to write papers about the impact of climate change on transgender frogs and other LGBTQ-amphibians.

Voting AFD: Holding my nose, while always trying to remind myself in the voting booth that they argued good positions 50-65% of the time.

I could have held my nose and voted CDU if that conglomerate of dipsh!ts had nominated Söder, hence my exasperation. If the CDU wants to tread on the SPD's path, I say let them, there is no way in hell they will get my vote for that Mullah-loving cultural relativist buddy of Vlad Putin.

My 2 Pfennig

Edit: typos

Last edited by a moderator:
@Serj

Welp, mostly agree with everything you posted minus this tiny bit here:

Voting AFD: Holding my nose, while always trying to remind myself in the voting booth that they argued good positions 50-65% of the time.

«Alternative für Deutschland », aren’t they basically the German equivalent to France former Front National? They might have some valid points on refugees/migrants or crimes and terrorism, yet what solution can they offer?

That’s my main problem and concern with Marine Le Pen here, plenty of good sentiments and France and the French first, while trying to tame and polish a bit what was former President of the party Jean Marie Le Pen yet she is again more likely losing next year.

I digress. I suppose muck and you are spot and Germany will be just headed to «more of the same » of gutless politicians, rather than leaders capable to confront Putin or Belarus when it’s needed.

@Serj

Welp, mostly agree with everything you posted minus this tiny bit here:

«Alternative für Deutschland », aren’t they basically the German equivalent to France former Front National? They might have some valid points on refugees/migrants or crimes and terrorism, yet what solution can they offer?

That’s my main problem and concern with Marine Le Pen here, plenty of good sentiments and France and the French first, while trying to tame and polish a bit what was former President of the party Jean Marie Le Pen yet she is again more likely losing next year.

I digress. I suppose muck and you are spot and Germany will be just headed to «more of the same » of gutless politicians, rather than leaders capable to confront Putin or Belarus when it’s needed.
I disagree there. I would actually argue that Le Pen's party stands head and shoulder above most right wing parties in western Europe including the AfD. They might have a serious shot at the presidency if Macron and his potential successors keep screwing up like they do. The Sweden Democrats are a close runner up, but they are a small party in a "small" country so there is that.

All in all RN/FN comes across as a viable serious party. In comparison the AfD have to many nutters and they constanty squabble amongst themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayhaps, but I’m not so sure about the Rassemblement National, which for some of them still had ties to more extremist dumbkopf (think of our equivalent of German NPD, hence white guys raising their right hands).

Heck, I realize all too well that the MSM are busy enough depicting all right wingers as Nazis, but I fail to see what solution they can bring to the table. Just today there was an incident about a Rwanda refugee murdering a priest here, and last I heard the talibans which have freed many scums from Astan prison are helping them «Go West… »

As if the pandemic wasn’t enough, we need illiterate and unskilled afghans too.