Video 80 years ago, the liberation of Paris.

Nansouty

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
On that day, after an epic rush, the French 2nd Armoured Division (2e DB) led by General Philippe Leclerc, entered Paris. After a day of battle, they reached German commander Von Choltitz's HQ near the place de la Concorde, captured him and got him to sign the surrender of the forces under his command. Damage to the city was miraculously light, as were civilian losses due to the fighting. This marked the end of the 1st phase of the crusade to defeat Nazism, as the western front soon ground to a halt (for logistical reasons mainly).

I always loved the Marche de la 2e DB. Here it is, with English subtitles.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Paris brûle t’il?

Yep, it’s correct to point out that the liberation of the capital ended up as not as much a disaster as the Allies commanders were fearing. The resistance surpassed their expectations from Gen Patton and others POV, but not enough from the résistants themselves.

As we all know, the Wehrmacht got harshly defeated by the Allies in Normandy until approaching Paris. What was left to do? Burn Paris? Another Oradour sur glane? Nah, fortunately it didn’t happen on such a scale there.

From what I remember, the German commander of Paris had been ordered by Hitler to raze Paris and conduct street to street fighting but didn't carry out the order.

Correct me please if I'm incorrect ;)

You’re right, he was ordered this but disobeyed. Berlin on the other hand got hammered and Hitler… well.

Actually, Choltitz is being reassessed by some historians, among them Fabrice Virgili.
Surprisingly, Choltitz had arrived from the front to take over Paris a few days ago, a personal nomination by Hitler who remembered he'd been very "proficient" in Sevastopol. He was said to keep in his wallet a picture of the 600mm Karl mortar he's used over there. Upon his arrival, he kept on asking for reinforcements as he- correctly - assessed he hadn't the means necessary to fulfill his mission. Now, you cannot guess his ultimate motivations (war was lost after all, and who would like to be remembered in history as the vandal who destroyed one of the world's most beautiful cities? He was a cultured man, and Paris was a favorite city of his) but his contacts with the Resistance through consul Nordling may also be due to his concerns over falling into the hands of the Resistance. That's what Mr Virgili claims, based mostly upon Nordling's memoirs.