Photos WW1 French & Allied Forces

Today is the anniversary of the Verdun battle. What the Poilus endured during the endless shelling is incomprehensible. Many went mad. Many others wanted away so badly, they rationalized, "I could get by without my left hand," and raised it above their trench wall where a shell splinter carried it away.

To achieve his goal, Falkenhein used most of Germany's nitrates badly needed for crop production, thus forcing near famine upon his country post-war. He should well and truly have been hanged for it.

A Euro friend found a French RR medal for me and asked if I was interested in a French military medal from the same shop. "Sure!" sez I.

It's a Verdun medal, and I hope it wasn't awarded posthumously.
IMG_0371 (2).JPG

IMG_0369 (2).JPG

Today is the anniversary of the Verdun battle. What the Poilus endured during the endless shelling is incomprehensible. Many went mad. Many others wanted away so badly, they rationalized, "I could get by without my left hand," and raised it above their trench wall where a shell splinter carried it away.

To achieve his goal, Falkenhein used most of Germany's nitrates badly needed for crop production, thus forcing near famine upon his country post-war. He should well and truly have been hanged for it.

A Euro friend found a French RR medal for me and asked if I was interested in a French military medal from the same shop. "Sure!" sez I.

It's a Verdun medal, and I hope it wasn't awarded posthumously.
View attachment 469184

View attachment 469185
The Verdun Medal was established on November 20, 1916 and issued to the soldiers and airmen who participated in the Battle for Verdun from February to November 1916. There were six variations of the Verdun Medal. These were unofficial awards as far as the nation of France was concerned. As such, they could not be 'legally' worn on the military uniform as part of parade-dress.
The ribbon ring in yours appears to be a modern "split" ring and this type of ring is not associated with any of the awards.

The Verdun Medal was established on November 20, 1916 and issued to the soldiers and airmen who participated in the Battle for Verdun from February to November 1916. There were six variations of the Verdun Medal. These were unofficial awards as far as the nation of France was concerned. As such, they could not be 'legally' worn on the military uniform as part of parade-dress.
The ribbon ring in yours appears to be a modern "split" ring and this type of ring is not associated with any of the awards.
I did not know that.