That is an amazing video, very moving too.
The chances of these to amazing guys meeting each other after such a long time were minuscule

US Soldier cradles an injured child

humanity002.webp

You´ve got to love how many former German soldiers speak almost perfect English in those videos ;) Franz Stigler´s brother fell few days before this incident. After Franz Stigler died in 2008, his wife gave his final letter to Brown, in which Stigler wrote something in the lines of "I´ve lost my brother during the war but I have found another one"... I hope I remember it correctly.

When we have lived the horrors of war regardless of what side we were on we share an experience that cannot be described to any that have not gone through the same. We develop a bond with those people that just cannot be explained properly, we call ourselves brothers because that is what it feels like.

In this case (the video) two former enemies meet and the feeling is the same. Our enemies in war only do what we do and that is follow orders but we know that they go through the same living hell and in most cases, long after war has subsided we do not feel any hatred towards them, but more a deeper understanding. this pilot spared the B17 crew because he is human and he could not see the sense in destroying the defenseless aircraft, he is a true hero of humanity.

Read about this one years ago when I´ve stumbled upon a very nice painting which I couldn´t find now, but there´s a video on youtube about the Bf 109 pilot Franz Stigler and B-17 pilot Charlie Brown's first meeting

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love it

But it still took a while for Argentinian patients to realise they were in safe hands in the Ajax Field hospital.

“A lot of the Argentinian conscripts were very scared and suspicious when they came to us,” he says. “They had been fed this vile propaganda about the way we treated prisoners of war. Some had even been told the British ate their prisoners!

“They used to make the sign of the cross prior to an operation and they would be very relieved when they woke up after surgery and found all their body parts were still intact.

“It was only then that they realised that what they’d been told about the British was all lies.”

As we have discussed on another thread the Junta needed this war so badly and because of that they fed their troops with this bullshit.

Read about this one years ago when I´ve stumbled upon a very nice painting which I couldn´t find now, but there´s a video on youtube about the Bf 109 pilot Franz Stigler and B-17 pilot Charlie Brown's first meeting

Awesome just awesome video

Meeting the enemy: A British Falklands veteran embarks on an extraordinary journey to meet the Argentine pilot he thought he'd killed in the 1982 conflict.

That is an amazingly moving video.
At the time that he shot down the aircraft I would assume as a naive youngster he found some pride in his achievement, as the years moved on and he matured he will have learnt to understand more the gravity of it. discovering that he achieved his aim without actually killing the pilot was obviously a great relief to him.

Nice find mate

Back