Book Sniper One

Reloader

Mi Sergeant Major
MI.Net Member
For those who have read 'Dusty Warriors', by Prof. Richard Holmes, this book will in parts seem familiar, as its events all took place during the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment's deployment to Iraq in 2004. While Prof. Holmes account chronicled the events of the whole battlegroup, this book deals with those events encountered in and around CIMIC House in Al-Amarah, by that regiment's 'Y' Company and in particular by their Sniper Platoon, led by the author, Sgt. Dan Mills.
Surrounded by hostile insurgents latterly, the siege of CIMIC House during this tour has been likened to a modern-day Rorke's Drift, except the 'Zulus' in this case had Mortars, RPG's and Rockets in their arsenal! In one 10-day period alone, there were 525 seperate mortar bombs launched at the defenders, who upheld the finest traditions of the British Army in their defence of this small compound, literally almost to the last round until eventually relieved by a column of some 100 vehicles, including 12 Challenger II tanks and seventy-odd Warrior AFV's, who fought through the city to reach the beleagured defenders.
I devoured this book in short time. It is one of the best first-hand accounts of modern soldiering I have read, told in the honest and often humorous language of the typical British Tom. Highly recommended.

SNIPER

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniper one, an excellent book I could not put down once I started solthum

Back