Intro Research Daft!

Cauther Lassie

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Hello and thank you for accepting my request. I'm a Scot living in West Lothian. For the last 20+ years I've been researching the men from the County who fought and fell in both world wars. About 60 odd books now. I've managed to cover all the War memorials and the men who served and lots of stories about them. We are lucky enough to have the Scottish Korean War Memorial here and since it's opening I've attended all the services each year. I always vowed I would NOT do Korea, famous last words! After this years service on the 27th July, I gave in and photographed all the names on the panels. My english friends have always insisted that its a Scottish Memorial but it isn't - all the regiments who fought in Korea have a panel and are listed - though the Korean Veterans Association have said that there may be some missing names. They did their best to get as complete a list as possible. So for the last couple of weeks I've been as we say here "raking" for information. I found your site when looking into the names of the POW list, and there are more than a few from the "Glorious Glosters" - and I have many happy memories of the regiment. In 1969 they were based for a short time at the RAF Station where I was serving. There is a photograph of the officers and NCO's arriving home from a POW camp, and I have the bare details of all those men but no information on the honours they received so this was wonderful. How do I contact the owner of the photo for permission to use this in the book (s) I'm putting together on the Korean War? I hasten to add I haven't even began to plough through for newspaper reports so a while to go yet! Any assistance will be gladly received - many thanks .... Meg

Hello and thank you for accepting my request. I'm a Scot living in West Lothian. For the last 20+ years I've been researching the men from the County who fought and fell in both world wars. About 60 odd books now. I've managed to cover all the War memorials and the men who served and lots of stories about them. We are lucky enough to have the Scottish Korean War Memorial here and since it's opening I've attended all the services each year. I always vowed I would NOT do Korea, famous last words! After this years service on the 27th July, I gave in and photographed all the names on the panels. My english friends have always insisted that its a Scottish Memorial but it isn't - all the regiments who fought in Korea have a panel and are listed - though the Korean Veterans Association have said that there may be some missing names. They did their best to get as complete a list as possible. So for the last couple of weeks I've been as we say here "raking" for information. I found your site when looking into the names of the POW list, and there are more than a few from the "Glorious Glosters" - and I have many happy memories of the regiment. In 1969 they were based for a short time at the RAF Station where I was serving. There is a photograph of the officers and NCO's arriving home from a POW camp, and I have the bare details of all those men but no information on the honours they received so this was wonderful. How do I contact the owner of the photo for permission to use this in the book (s) I'm putting together on the Korean War? I hasten to add I haven't even began to plough through for newspaper reports so a while to go yet! Any assistance will be gladly received - many thanks .... Meg
Morning Meg
Sorry for the delay in replying to you.
By all means use the photograph in question. Glad to have been of any assistance.
Good luck with your research.
28th61st

Morning Meg
Sorry for the delay in replying to you.
By all means use the photograph in question. Glad to have been of any assistance.
Good luck with your research.
28th61st
Many Many thanks, Have been battering on and have now completed the basic information on all the names on the Memorial, and ploughed through and got basic details on all the POW's (cross referenced them with the "lost" list of course!) LOL Now the hard part, ploughing through the papers and getting as many stories as I can. Already got a lot on the "Glorious" though...... but I may have a slight bias!! thank you again. Meg

Back