Space NASA 21st Century Missions

New launch time: Saturday (May 30) at 4:22 p.m. EDT (2022 GMT)

'The weather got us,' NASA chief says of SpaceX's 1st crewed launch delay

When it comes to spaceflight, you can control just about everything but the weather.

Today (May 27), SpaceX hoped to launch two astronauts aboard their Crew Dragon capsule, atop a Falcon 9 rocket to the International Space Station. Thankfully, there were absolutely no issues with any of the technology or crew members. Unfortunately, however, the weather failed to cooperate, and even though everything else went right, the launch was delayed to Saturday (May 30) at 4:22 p.m. EDT (2022 GMT).

The delay was caused solely by the weather. "The weather got us," NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said following the delay announcement.

It was fcukin great!!!!

The ship is just so high tech...I mean the inside with the displays and all...This has nothing in common with the old hundreds of switches. It´s a ship from a sci fi movie, but it´s real.

It is awesome!! There's quite a bit of room in it. NASA missions only use four seats for NASA missions with Crew Dragon. As I understand it Crew Dragon actually has a seven seat capacity, of which I think three of the seven seats are taken out there, but the three additional seats would be positioned under the four seat configuration which can be seen used in today's Crew Dragon launch. Also, above the seats, there is a three-screen control panel, a toilet (with privacy curtain) and the docking hatch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_2).

Pretty darn cool! They do have a lot of room in there, especially compared to the Soyuz main/re-entry capsule. I'd be pretty claustrophobic in that Soyuz, with the Gemini a close second!

An Apollo would´nt have muc more room either.

One of the reasons for the room is the miniaturization of the flight controls...An Apollo capsule was full of equipment.

I really wonder what the Orion looks like inside. Although bigger than an Apollo, they did not take the same path for flight controls than SpaceX did with the dragon.

It was fcukin great!!!!

The ship is just so high tech...I mean the inside with the displays and all...This has nothing in common with the old hundreds of switches. It´s a ship from a sci fi movie, but it´s real.

Right?

It almost looked like some Air France/ whatever first class or business class cabin.

Just amazing what a dedicated private venture can accomplish. Congratulations!

I very much like the new approaches and solutions on many issues like the Super Dracos used as launch abort system and the general straight

forward attitude.

Governmental bodies like NASA and ESA seem to be a bit antiquated and slow in comparison. ?

Their approach for a LAS is an unimaginative launch tower..

The Orion looks much more classic

The NASA Mars Perseverance Rover is due to launch on July 2020 and arrive on Mars on February 2021. Perseverance is a 1043-kilogram Rover and drives at twice the speed of the NASA Mars Curiosity Rover. Perseverance's Mars destination is to the 49-kilometre-wide Jezero Crater.

Perseverance is just about ready to launch

In the first step in an 11-year international collaboration to bring Mars rocks and soil samples back to Earth, NASA is preparing for the launch of its newest Mars rover, dubbed Perseverance.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/ex...ySqQ9va46UXtVXlsI7zwh_PQa5p_mkF0f1dugK5R_-4ns

Perseverance is on its merry way to the Red Planet.

Should land on 18th February next year. COVID 19 express delievery to the Martians: preempting the ending of War of the Worlds

A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket with NASA's Mars rover Perseverance onboard launches from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, the United States, on July 30, 2020. NASA launched its Mars rover Perseverance Thursday morning in a bid to search for signs of ancient life on the Red Planet. (Photo/Agencies)

Bob and Doug are back.

That crewdragon looks like it´s a pretty reliable machine.

But TV coverage on the return is crap. People had better quality images in the sixties.

Space X Dragon splashdown in Gulf of Mexico
fc68479a0e77e35cdc9a9251e2c6b72455165feb9061248d427c6d7a863fd51f.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nokia to build moon's first 4G cell network for NASA program

LONDON -- Nokia says it has been tapped by NASA to build the first cellular communications network on the moon.

The Finnish telecommunications equipment maker said Monday its Nokia Bell Labs division will build a 4G communications system to be deployed on a lunar lander to the moon's surface in late 2022.

NASA is awarding $370 million to 14 companies to provide technology for the Artemis moon-landing program. The program's aim is to establish a long-term human presence on the moon as a warm-up for missions to Mars.

Nokia released more details of its involvement after an announcement last week by NASA, which said it was giving the company's U.S. unit $14.1 million for the network. The U.S. space agency is also funding other innovations in cryogenic fluid management, lunar surface innovation, and descent and landing capability.

Interesting developments, I`m currently reading a book about black holes by former German astronaut Ulrich Walter there he says the Mars landing will be on August 2nd 2048. Why? Because at the next (most) favourable launch window in April 2033 the TRL (Technology Rediness Level) of at least 8 needed to guarantee the NASAs demanded success rate of 1:75 (one fatal trip out of 75) cannot be reached. Thus the 11th April 2048 might be the next ideal launch window were Mars can be reached after just 114 days of travel.

Technology Readiness Level

Walter-i.jpg

Perseverance is on its merry way to the Red Planet.

Should land on 18th February next year. COVID 19 express delievery to the Martians: preempting the ending of War of the Worlds

Just past the halfway mark on October 27.

Back