Looks like a standard issue British Army Poncho, not sure if they still issue them but I had one back in the 80's and early 90's. Came in Olive Drab and could be used to knock up a basha too, see the loops around the edge, we would attach bungies to them at tie to trees etc.

Here is a picture of the poncho and I just remembered it formed part of the 58 Pattern Webbing kit

Last edited:
Similar ponchos were on issue to the Defence Force of Ireland as well, I know we had them in 1976 when I joined, but we were still using the old
British '37 pattern webbing, a lot dated to the 40's period, by the 1980's we were issued the '58 Pattern webbing and the "FCA" / Reserve got the '37 pattern webbing.

The para is wearing the Dennison smock - first issued in a slightly different form in WWII and worn until the mid 1970s (unless you are Prince Charles - in which case it was the mid 90s or later).

DPM came in in the late 1960s so they overlapped but it was not always worn. The green (OD) jungle trousers were lighter, more comfortable and dried quicker than the heavy, lined, issue DPM trousers so they continued to be worn as long as they were available. Their replacement (the DPM tropical combat suit) was poly cotton not cotton, and melted if you got firebombed and so was banned from the Province.

Berets were worn both to de-escalate tensions (they look less aggressive than helmets) and also to psyche out the local kids and low-level terrorists - who were less likely to cause trouble if a unit like the Paras or Royal Marines (or in my experience the Green Jackets) were on the streets.

Looks like a standard issue British Army Poncho, not sure if they still issue them but I had one back in the 80's and early 90's. Came in Olive Drab and could be used to knock up a basha too, see the loops around the edge, we would attach bungies to them at tie to trees etc.

Here is a picture of the poncho and I just remembered it formed part of the 58 Pattern Webbing kit

View attachment 181005
In Colombia we also use that poncho model, I still have mine in my backpack, in case the rain strikes with surprise

British troops in Belfast, Northern Ireland stand outside a new all weather shelter in October 1969. (AP Photo/Peter Kemp)
PA-11410183-1024x686.jpg
PA-11410182-1-1024x689.jpg

Troops patrol in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1969, following conflict in the city. (AP Photo/Peter Kemp)
PA-11408227-1024x600.jpg

PA-11197766-1024x691.jpg

Against a background of ruined homes, British troops guard a strategic roadway position in their peacekeeping role in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1969. (AP Photo/Peter Kemp)
PA-11408232-678x1024.jpg

Local children taunt a British soldier as he stands guard in Londonderry, Northern Ireland on April 13, 1972, after an explosion in the city center. (AP Photo/Michel Lipchitz)
jnyfd8p5jse71.jpg