Other Post Accidents, disasters and other noteworthy incidents

Two quakes hit Turkey and Syria.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

According to reports, 2824 buildings collapsed.

Quake has been recorded at 7,8.

Over 1000 recorded dead in Turkey and over 700, though unconfirmed, number in Syria.

Last edited:
3,549 dead and 22,198 wounded in Turkey.

Unclear how many have died and were injured in Syria.

Building are still collapsing though.

Last edited:
Death toll is over 7000 now.

https://youtu.be/6qkNwj5-uzg

Somehow sending help to Turkey and Syria is rubbing people in the wrong way due to Turkey's political and geopolitical stance, vis à vis Russia, Ukraine, etc...

Last edited:
Earthquake death toll rises over 8.700 writes Al Jazeera.

At least 6.234 people have died in Turkey and 2.530 in Syria.

It is expected this number will increase the coming weeks.

Feedback from my Turkish friends about the situation:
2 earthquakes of this magnitude close to each other in space and time is extremely rika. The aftershocks that followed were also strong. The aftershocks thinned out and then stopped, unlike the usual pattern. This leads to the conclusion that an even stronger quake is to be expected.
12 major cities were affected. They are also difficult to reach. In many cases, the cities' airfields were built on loose soil in parched areas that have now been destroyed, so air access is also severely limited.
The devastation is elementary, so far we are talking about 12,000 people, but my Turkish contacts say that should be multiplied by at least 2, so we are talking about at least 25,000+ dead.
The disaster is compounded by Erdogan's refusal to allow the appropriate units of the military to move in, who would also have a general role in rescuing civilians. Government buildings are also in ruins in many places. In many places it is -10 degrees and people are simply freezing. There is a huge supply problem, we are talking about 12 to 15 million people in the affected area. We have people we know who are sleeping in cars and heating them as best they can.
It is a serious blow to the people that Erdogan, in his madness, has previously dismantled the disaster management organisation, which has a tradition of about 100 years, and then dismantled other organisations that were formed later, and the leaders are glad that they have not been put in prison. Instead of these organisations, only the state organisation founded by Erdogan can appear, as if to promote him, the Almighty.
Many Turkish business organisations also send truckloads of aid. These trucks are all being maintained, the logos of the companies and donors are being taken down and replaced by the logos of Erdogan's state organisation.
The situation is very serious, and Erdogan is, as you would expect, doing damage control for his own situation and also somehow wanting to turn the situation to his advantage.
I have not started to look for the names of these "organisations", my aim is not to write some very precise report. I just thought I would share with you what I have just heard, it also colours the picture we are getting of the situation.

Latest data, 12.873 people died, 62.937 were injured in Turkey.
In Syria, 2.992 people died.

The total number of dead is now 15,865.

Last edited:
Erdogan booed while visiting disaster sites.

Web postings attributing the disaster to the USA and Sweden using "HAARP"
in revenge for Turkey blocking Sweden's access to NATO doing the rounds.

At last the death toll in both countries affected, Syria and Turkey is close and could be well over 20,000 dead. As far as major « Mother Nature » related disaster we haven’t seen something like that in a while…

Meanwhile, and I will understand if you guys disagree with me but sorry, Charlie Hebdo publishing this crap was well over the top:

Caption reads:

« Earthquake in Turkey; don’t need to even send tanks »

All while there are still survivors under the debris, children and family breathing their last dust before suffocating until death.

I get it, Charlie Hebdo is about provoking, always has been for decades but I fail to see what’s funny and instead very callous about human lives.

60-AE09-EB-4647-4-D44-80-DF-C6-A1-B22-ACC2-F.png

Death-toll is now at above 25k.

Still a lot of people trapped under the collapsed buildings, the numbers are very likely, assuredly, to rise much more.

Not much evolution on the Turkish-Syrian earth-quake solution.
Search and rescue operations are still being conducted and will keep on going for quiet some time.
Some funds are being unlocked by European countries, the UK, for instance, delivered £6m in aid to Turkey.

In other news, and on the topic of natural disaster:

Vinyl chloride, when combusting, creates hydrochloric acid and is, incidentally, heavily carcinogenic (brain, lung, blood, and liver).

From a Turkish FB page :-

Turkey 1.jpg
Turkey 2 .jpg
Turkey 3 .jpg
Turkey 4 .jpg
Turkey 5 .jpg

Apparently such work is quite common in Turkish construction in particular the unauthorized construction projects!!

Had a 5.1 about 50km South from where I live in Romania yesterday,
this afternoon a 5.7 in the same area, my house visibly shook but no immediate damage
in my area.
Bug out rucks prepped, for me and the Mrs. with food, water, first aid, torch,
Goretex covered sleeping bag, extra blanket, winter clothes, documents cash etc..
possibility of a couple more before it gets better.

Last edited:
Back