Photos Tamiya ChTZ Version T34/43 OOB Build

razorboy

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
A while back I purchased this Tamiya ChTZ T34/43 on sale at Squadron Mail Order.
DSCN36440001.jpg

The kit went together well with only some minor filling and seam removal required ... the fuel tanks being the worse assemblies in the whole kit.
DSCN36470001.jpg

I determined to build this kit straight "Out of the Box" and have so far .... except for the addition of a styrene rod antennae which may or may not stay, I've yet to decide.
DSCN36600001.jpg

I use cheap ($1.00 / 4 oz. bottle) craft acrylics and mix my own colors. I have been doing this for the past several years and find that the resulting finish is as good as anything I ever bought pre-mixed, if handled properly. I use regular rubbing alcohol to thin it for my airbrush and as you can see, get a pretty good flat finish out of it.
DSCN36510001.jpg

I wasn't happy at all with that first mix, so re-formulating with the addition of some bright leaf green, I came pretty close on the second try -
DSCN36560001.jpg

This particular T34 has a fairly narrow white, air recognition stripe atop the turret and this was achieved via 3M painter's "No stick" tape as a stencil, masking off the remaining surface and spraying three layers of really thin white -
DSCN36650001-1.jpg

As you can see, I pre-shaded the engine deck area and rear plate with some thin, brushed on black paint. This should facilitate the final shading process in this area -
DSCN36610001.jpg

I took the point of my #11 Exacto blade and "Chipped" the recognition band around the hatches and randomly here and there. A very light wash of dark green was applied over the stripe to simulate the tanks base coat showing through wear spots. Finally, I reapplied some white via brush in between the chips to accentuate the original white color.
DSCN36620001.jpg

This project just kind of popped up out of nowhere - I'll be interested myself to see where it goes.
rb

Good Skills mate, wish I had the patience to do stuff like that (Y)

Thank you Bombardier for the kind words. Here is the T34 with two progressively lighter shades dry-brushed over the dark wash -
DSCN36670001.jpg

Got the track base coated and attached - I'm not concerned about making a "Sag" in the track as it will be displayed "In Motion" :

DSCN36810001.jpg

DSCN36820001.jpg

I know that I started out to build this one OOB but I couldn't sleep nights if I didn't add a handle to that rear hull access hatch! Fashioned it from a bread bag twist tie wire -
DSCN36850001-1.jpg

DSCN36860001.jpg

Bottle cap supports the body while the glue on the attaching rod (scrap sprue) dries.... This one will be in motion - "Getting some air" as it were.

DSCN36890001.jpg

DSCN36900001.jpg

DSCN36920001.jpg

There's still a bit of work left on the base and the T34 but these shots display the final position of the tank on the base .....
DSCN37070001.jpg

DSCN37080001.jpg

Looking great mate.
Just a little question though. would the road wheels not sag slightly if the vehicle were seen in this postion on a hill?, or perhaps the tracks themselves.

just a thought mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Here she is with the side mud applied to the base - for some reason I like this effect....
DSCN37170001-1.jpg

Looking great mate.
Just a little question though. would the road wheels not sag slightly if the vehicle were seen in this postion on a hill?, or perhaps the tracks themselves.

just a thought mate

Thanks for the kind words Bombardier. I based this diorama on the following footage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rItg_kb2Q50&list=FLpIaP7zlykhMc7vllw2PR8Q&index=9

- I see little if any sag of track or road wheels in these jumps .... it's the high speed I reckon.
rb

artistic

You are such an artistic and you also have a very long patience to be so accurate in every details especially with the color! solthum