Photos Strange Rocket In Old Glass Picture Slide And Other Interesting Illustration In Slide

Maverickx39

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Hello! So glad to find this forum! I am a military history collector and just picked these interesting old glass picture slides today at an antique shop. Is this a U2 rocket in the one slide? I'm assuming these are American soldiers in the pic? Looks cold wherever they are. I zoomed in on photo and it appears to say "Climatic BR" on the flag next to rocket. A very neat photo.

Second pic: What is this? A diagram for a thermo nuclear tank? Very strange. How old do you think each of these are? Who do you think took them? Was it common for the military to put these pics on glass slides like these? Thanks so much for any help. I appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
The rocket images are of an MGR-1 Honest John

The MGR-1 Honest John rocket was the first nuclear-capable surface-to-surface rocket in the United States arsenal.[notes 1] Originally designated Artillery Rocket XM31, the first unit was tested on 29 June 1951, with the first production rounds delivered in January 1953. Its designation was changed to M31 in September 1953. The first Army units received their rockets by year's end and Honest John battalions were deployed in Europe in early 1954. Alternatively, the rocket was capable of carrying an ordinary high-explosive warhead weighing 1,500 pounds (680 kg).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGR-1_Honest_John

Wow. Thank you for all of the detailed info! So do you think this rocket was possibly in the arctic or north? They appear to have pretty heavy coats on.

Wow. Thank you for all of the detailed info! So do you think this rocket was possibly in the arctic or north? They appear to have pretty heavy coats on.
Very possibly however, as Honest John was a battlefield nuclear weapon capable of also firing a conventional payload and had a range of 5+ miles to 15+ miles, the deployment in your images is almost certainly in a NATO member country