archaeology Military & Non Military Archaeology

17th century figurehead off of an east india merchantman or warship* pulled from [Wadden Sea] by fishermen. It likely represents a warrior with a Phrygian cap. Phrygians were a mountain people enslaved by the Romans and freed Phrygians would wear such caps. Dutch warships carried figuredheads with Phrygian caps during the Eighty Years War to indicate their rejection of Spanish rule.

* Often commercial vessels were pressed into service, until the second Anglo-Dutch war there were very few dedicated warships.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Stuff the gold - what sort of Jerman tank is it (Y)
I think you're misunderstanding the text.

"The gold diggers unearthed a 5ft metal cannister using ground-scanning radars after pinpointing the location with the help of an old SS diary.

Now two months on from their thrilling discovery, the team have been given the green light to bring the tank to the surface."

So it means "tank" as in "5ft metal canister".

--------

The only relevant question here is: Is this the SS brothel that inspired the cinematic masterpieces Band of Bastards 1 through 4 featuring Russia's finest (and only worthwhile) export product Mandy Dee?!? ?

I think you're misunderstanding the text.

"The gold diggers unearthed a 5ft metal cannister using ground-scanning radars after pinpointing the location with the help of an old SS diary.

Now two months on from their thrilling discovery, the team have been given the green light to bring the tank to the surface."

So it means "tank" as in "5ft metal canister".

--------

The only relevant question here is: Is this the SS brothel that inspired the cinematic masterpieces Band of Bastards 1 through 4 featuring Russia's finest (and only worthwhile) export product Mandy Dee?!? ?
I only scan read it on my phone

Will be interesting to see what they actually find after the gold train debacle

interesting article
Roman captain in Brazil: "Behold the remnants of Atlantis! When we report this at home, we will make history."

Vikings at Newfoundland: "Now this looks like some nice spot to settle down and live in peace."

Columbus in the Carribean: "India - I knew it! Now I shall take all the riches to Spain and my fame will be eternal!"

Pedro Alvares Cabral: "This is so far off west, it can't be India. Anyhow, I'll claim it for Portugal and then turn east again."

American archaeologist: "If this discovery is what I think it is, history needs to be rewritten!"

Brazil: "And the winner is ... Dom Pedro!"