Photos Military Art

OTD 105 years ago. The 4th & 12th Australian Light Horse Regiments charged the Turkish held town of Beersheba, the 800 horseman securing the town & its precious wells This painting by Jenifer Marshall, "Midnights-Last-Charge"
FgYFR1RUUAMF3E-?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

It depicts the moment Lt. Haydon & his mare Midnight, crossed the Turkish lines. Midnight was mortally wounded in the charge, while Haydon, wounded by the same bullet, was incapacitated back to Australia & died years later from that wound

On Laughter Silvered WingsOriginal Painting by Keith Ferris
C_ZvWSHWAAEFwDP?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

John Gillespie Magee met his death in this aircraft on 11 December 1941 shortly after he wrote and mailed his famous poem “High Flight” to his parents.
“HIGH FLIGHT”
by John Gillespie Magee​

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew –
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

'Argus Dawn Patrol'

324150270_613796547174778_1686354602263109940_n.jpg

Acrylic on canvas 16 x 20 inches.
Depicting a RCAF CP-107 Argus Mark 1 conducting Maritime Surveillance along the Canadian coast, circa 1964.

"Home port, Yokosuka". Painting by Arthur Beaumont, 1961. USS Duncan (DD-874) leads USS Mansfield (DD-728) and other destroyers into the Yokosuka, Japan, naval base. In the background is USS Wasp (CVS-18).
3o15441mtqba1-jpg.jpg

'The celebrated engagement during which H.M.S. Shannon captured the American frigate Chesapeake, 1st June 1813' by John Steven Dews
ypf83znszkja1-jpg.jpg

Captain Philip Broke, in command of H.M.S. Shannon, had come upon the Chesapeake refitting in Boston Harbour and promptly challenged her to come out and fight. At about noon on 1st June 1813, Captain James Lawrence brought Chesapeake out into the open sea and after a furious annihilating action lasting just fifteen minutes, was forced to surrender.

After first firing two devastating broadsides, Broke led his boarding party onto Chesapeake but was so badly wounded that he had to relinquish his command. Casualties on both sides were extraordinarily high – 48 Americans, including Captain Lawrence, were killed and 96 wounded whilst Shannon suffered only slightly less with 33 dead and 50 wounded.

Despite his injuries, Captain Broke survived to be rewarded with a baronetcy and enduring fame, although he never recovered sufficiently to be able to return to active service.

Silver Kite 211 by Philip E West – 10th May 1972. Lt. Cdr. Curtis ‘Curt’ Dose together with his RIO, Lt. Cdr. Jim McDevitt line up their F-4J Phantom II, prior to landing on the USS Constellation following their first successful target combat air patrol of the day. During this mission, NG211 “Silver Kite 211” shot down a MiG-21F with an AIM-9 sidewinder missile, after an ultra-low level supersonic flight over the North Vietnamese airfield of Kep, Northeast of Hanoi.
fuyibobxoaa0-1l-format-jpg-name-900x900-jpg.jpg