Admin Mi.Net will soon close its doors 18th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what Squarespace would charge by switching platform over

Wonder what Squarespace would charge by switching platform over
I’m assuming it’s the photos/resources size driving the costs, maybe @Bombardier could confirm?

Would Pinterest take them, as an asset?

I’d be happy to pay each month, just to be able to give @Ivan le Fou a slap on a regular basis. He loves it really.

So sad to hear. Maybe you could organize paid membership with perks etc. would be glad to jump in. This resource shouldn’t be lost!

From what I can see, there is still an open fundraiser for beer for the team. Or maybe you can use this space for a quick fundraiser to maintain MI.net? Can everyone pay what they can?

Yeah the resources are the worst loss for sure. For forums there are others like ARRSE, but none offer the (commented) historical content of MI.

Am I right in thinking that displaying the content to users is the majority of cost here and not the storage of it on the server? If so could maybe disabling the content galleries for now to cut down on cost significantly until a more permanent solution can be found work?

----------

Not meaning to be pessimistic here, but seeing as there are a few days left maybe we could try to work out what site to move to in that time just in case?

Last edited:
I love this site. I’ll kick in $120 . . . $10/mo is more than worth it.
Exactly! It’s a goddamn Blue Moon 6 pack once in a month! Count me in!

I will sign if is usd$50 OK, its a little push to help, count on me !!!

We have a FB here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/490430424346900

The few members on FB have started a drive to raise funds to continue this site, so far we have promised $500 from just a few of us

The site was shut down early by the server hosts when @Bombardier advised them he could not continue funding the site. That was done without advising @Bombardier even though the expiry date was 18th April........ @Bombardier has been able to have the server hosts return our site pending funds being paid towards the ongoing costs.

Watch this space for directions on how to donate to keep our home running

BZ

Times are tight, but I could afford to add another US$10 to my list of Patreon's if you wanted to go down that path for donations/funding.

Yeah the resources are the worst loss for sure. For forums there are others like ARRSE, but none offer the (commented) historical content of MI.

Am I right in thinking that displaying the content to users is the majority of cost here and not the storage of it on the server? If so could maybe disabling the content galleries for now to cut down on cost significantly until a more permanent solution can be found work?

----------

Not meaning to be pessimistic here, but seeing as there are a few days left maybe we could try to work out what site to move to in that time just in case?
We have a FB here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/490430424346900

The few members on FB have started a drive to raise funds to continue this site, so far we have promised $500 from just a few of us

The site was shut down early by the server hosts when @Bombardier advised them he could not continue funding the site. That was done without advising @Bombardier even though the expiry date was 18th April........ @Bombardier has been able to have the server hosts return our site pending funds being paid towards the ongoing costs.

Unfortunate outcome, sadly.

The biggest loss being the media content.

FB offers some sort of solution, though the content itself is not same from strikes by the FB overlords.
Discord can also be a solution, it "could be argued" content would be safer to some extent? With broader/looser restrictions. But long and lengthy discussions with numerous people are simply impossible due to the configuration of the platform.

Unfortunate outcome, sadly.

The biggest loss being the media content.

FB offers some sort of solution, though the content itself is not same from strikes by the FB overlords.
Discord can also be a solution, it "could be argued" content would be safer to some extent? With broader/looser restrictions. But long and lengthy discussions with numerous people are simply impossible due to the configuration of the platform.
Might just be worth a try like this:

https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/help-save-our-home.10764/#post-273506

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back