Politics Facebook bans « Dangerous individuals »

Jake84

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
TheMess.Net
Ukraine
Alex Jones, Louis Farrakhan are pretty much despicable individuals, and admittedly racists and anti-semites hence I wouldn’t have much a problem with banning them if it wasn’t for « hate speech » reasons. Yes, FB and IG are privately owned and their sites, their rules. It’s slightly worrying though that such companies were created in the USA where freedom of speech is #1 in the Constitution...

Alex Jones, Louis Farrakhan are pretty much despicable individuals, and admittedly racists and anti-semites hence I wouldn’t have much a problem with banning them if it wasn’t for « hate speech » reasons. Yes, FB and IG are privately owned and their sites, their rules. It’s slightly worrying though that such companies were created in the USA where freedom of speech is #1 in the Constitution...

It is a tough one Jake . This one was in the UK news yesterday.

My view , yes I agree . There has been a history of people being wrongly accused in such videos and anyway , it's the job of the police . But the reality is police numbers have been cut to the bone , most low level crimes are now investigated by civilians and of course their private companies ( the situation in the UK anyway) . These extremes seen on the internetz are merely a bye product of domestic policy gone wrong .

Some facebook profiles banned were Spanish and had far right ideology:

1. Unidad Nacional Española, fueron eliminadas 10 páginas con 1.202.561 seguidores, incluyendo múltiples perfiles del mismo usuario, Javier Grau.
  2. Todos Contra Podemos, eliminadas 6 páginas con 114.147 seguidores, incluidos perfiles duplicados del usuario Antonio Félix Aguilar.
  3. Lucha por España, eliminada 1 página con 378.010 seguidores.

The ban was promoted by the ngo Avaaz:

59285402_10156204456406074_4177957002284105728_n.jpg

Again , I kind of get that . Alex Jones views on sandy hook was not great and should in my opinion should be prevented from saying things that are wholly untrue and cause distress to others . But look at the actions of the MSM on russiagate for example , or WMD s . They lied through their back teeth but do they get banned ? It seems state sanctioned misinformation is fine , but everyone else gets the boot .

Except when your name is bellingcrap

With regard to those who spew hate and racism I agree with the actions of social media platforms and they should be deleted from the interweb. We all know what happens when tyrants get a platform, their S**t spreads like the clap.

Except when your name is bellingcrap
a UK government paid propaganda tool/troll

but back to Alex Jones .... anyone who takes Alex Jones seriously needs there heads seen to he looks and sounds more like a comedian than being dangerous ... any sane person can see through his conspiracy theories ... anyone that believes him and i'm including the man himself needs to be taken away with men in white coats

Bottom line is they are hindering peoples right to freedom of expression you don't have to agree with there POV . Whilst they still allow the Antifa's page who posted a event page for harrassing Tucker Carlson .. of Fox News

You have to love the blatent double standards ..

I totally agree with banning/de-platforming hate.

My concern is around political/partisan bias.

I’d love to see a fair and reasonable process that can be voluntarily(and effectively) applied across all platforms.

More civility and less insanity.

Back