Memories Do you miss the « good old days »

Martial Law, economic collapse, multiple coup de etat and the height of the muslim insurgency down south and my city being known as the killing fields of the Philippines as the communists used it as an experiment on how to subjugate a city (lost by the way as the city fought back and handing their asses to them). Multiple check points on highways and causing a lot of my countrymen to migrate abroad... yeah the 80-90's were magical if you were a kid, but it kinda sucked ass if you think about it.

I miss from the late 70 to the mid 80's :
- the good music, groups and lyrics, now it's all based on surveys by a bunch of psychologists and sociologists.
- the good movies with characters and story, now it's just CGI, big boom and dead by thousands.
- the tabletop weekend RPG like AD&D with lot of beers, now games are online.

I miss from the late 70 to the mid 80's :
- the good music, groups and lyrics, now it's all based on surveys by a bunch of psychologists and sociologists.
- the good movies with characters and story, now it's just CGI, big boom and dead by thousands.
- the tabletop weekend RPG like AD&D with lot of beers, now games are online.

This is a key point about 30-40 years ago and nowadays and it’s hard to argue otherwise. Music and movies were then outstanding. Sure, we have Wes Anderson, and some decent under the radar musical bands... overall I think the whole Hollywood and music has been going downhill or as @Mordoror said, idiocracy underway: lame lyrics, lame stories...

This is a key point about 30-40 years ago and nowadays and it’s hard to argue otherwise. Music and movies were then outstanding. Sure, we have Wes Anderson, and some decent under the radar musical bands... overall I think the whole Hollywood and music has been going downhill or as @Mordoror said, idiocracy underway: lame lyrics, lame stories...

Corporate highjacking of creative markets where profits are the number one priority . You could argue the complete lack of social mobility as a deciding factor as well . The section of society allowed into these creative markets is becoming smaller and smaller .

I remember when you could buy a cargo for a Tenner and you got your moneys worth ,,,,

Nowadays you have to spend a fortune

I miss walking for miles with my mates, getting up to mischief and arriving home completely knackered, making my own pedal cycles out of scrap bikes, no mobile phones just telephone kiosks and meeting at the fish and chip shop for a well earned portion of chips. Good ole days :)

My thought is that some things from the good old days were better, and some were worse. It also matters a lot as to the context of observation. Different groups will have various opinions about certain eras depending on what their own relationship was to that era. If you were a lived in an era under discussion you have personal perspective that shapes your view of how good it was!

On the other hand we have outstanding series these days. Breaking Bad and GoT come to mind.

You are correct. I don’t really miss Dallas, The A-team, Miami Vice and S**t like that.

If interested, go read the thread I started about series that are these days better than 30 years ago.

I miss running after the ice cream truck, wagging school for a BBQ at the beach, movies with smoking kids, no phone, getting on the piss every weekend and waking up the next morning without a hangover, lollies that came with stickers and fake tattoos, and riding a bike with no helmet

in the late 70's - 80's and 90's I worked my *ss off to have loads of things I wanted - now I have everything I wonder why I bothered

there are very good things that we have now, however, there was nothing better than going camping anywhere with your troop scout and that no one will deny you permission; the old TV shows (although you could not record them today) and the Japanese cartoon series; all that I lived in my country, they were good times

Went for a walk with my Dad and after spotting pig tracks on the ground he told me how in the old days if one of the neighbours hogs ate anything off your land they'd kill it, cook it and give their neighbour just the pigs back legs after showing them the plant their pig ate from. Even if it was two bananas off a tree. I thought it funny enough to share on the internet.

The times we live in where currently, if you buy a 375ml can of softdrink it costs more than a 1.25lt bottle of softdrink, is pretty bizarre.
growing up in the 70s and 80s the biggest bottle of juice/ginger/pop you could buy was 710ml in a glass bottle and when you collected 3 or 4 empty bottles and returned them to the shop you got a free bottle of ginger ... the good ole days of recycling and hardly any plastics even your milk came in glass pint bottles so you could say we were better to the environment and healthier (less fizzy drinks)