Site help Copyright! Please Read And Discuss

The previous link bt Dr Neal Krawitz provides a link to Getty's fair use explanation however when I attempted to follow the link it would not open as Getty's Robots.txt file is blocking access to it ? interesting

As I said before Getty are stealing images they don't own and claiming copyright over them. This link shows as much and also shows other complaints being made over the practice. http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/...ion-letters-over-her-work/?prev_next=next#new If I see a crawler of theirs around my site I shall block it. I use a lot of photos under fair use rules.

I conducted an reverse image search using TinEye and found that the particular images appeared to be owned by many companies?

There were 49 results showing the photo however to the right of the page it showed certain collections containing the photo and how many instances the collection contains.

Who owns the image then?. Wikimedia states it is public domain.
They cant all own the photo surely? so somebody is making money by exploiting rights they dont have.
I accept Flickr,and wikimedia dont actually sell them.

Filter by collection

• alamy.com (1)
  • everystockphoto.com (2)
  • flickr.com (2)
  • foter.com (1)
  • gettyimages.com (1)
  • wikimedia.org (5)

Last edited:
One thing to be aware of is posting material marked Getty Images. They can enforce fees to be paid for use of pictures. In my personal opinion They can also claim copyrights over material they don't actually own and sometimes will challenge fair use. There are reports about entanglements with them if you search on Internet.

I have recently been contacted by Getty images and to be fair the only question they asked was "Did we have a licence?"
When I contacted the uploader of the image (No names , no pack drills) it was clear that they did not have a licence. Getty were informed and they requested its removal, seemed fair to me, so the image was taken down.

Probably the wise move. No point in entanglements without a cause. If it matters it's probably possible to serve the dish in another way or find a different picture. Bots are stupid and easily distracted.