Politics A coup in Jordan

Musashi

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
United-Kingdom
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

She mentions foreign backing, naming Saudi Arabia and UAE as possibilities. Seems unlikely SA would be behind this as they are good friends both on the diplomatic level and between the two monarchies. And both are US allies. Seems strange to me to destabilize your own ally.

She mentions foreign backing, naming Saudi Arabia and UAE as possibilities. Seems unlikely SA would be behind this as they are good friends both on the diplomatic level and between the two monarchies. And both are US allies. Seems strange to me to destabilize your own ally.

You are a mistaken. There is actually a rift going on between both monarchies behind the scenes.

EyEoLffWQAQrd6I.jpg

This isn't good. I may be way off base, but I've always viewed the Hashemites some of the more sable, reasonable leaders in a very unstable region.

So the former crown prince has confirmed that the is under house arrest, and publicly criticizes the country's leaders for their corruption, incompetence harassment:

What does the prince say?​

In the video recorded on Saturday, he says: "I had a visit from the chief of general staff of the Jordanian armed forces this morning in which he informed me that I was not allowed to go out, to communicate with people or to meet with them because in the meetings that I had been present in - or on social media relating to visits that I had made - there had been criticism of the government or the king."
He says he was not accused of making the criticisms himself.

However, he went on to say: "I am not the person responsible for the breakdown in governance, the corruption and for the incompetence that has been prevalent in our governing structure for the last 15 to 20 years and has been getting worse... And I am not responsible for the lack of faith people have in their institutions.

"It has reached a point where no one is able to speak or express opinion on anything without being bullied, arrested, harassed and threatened."

High level political arrests are rare in Jordan, a key US ally in the Middle East.

US is throwing their full support behind Abdullah.

US: Jordan’s King Abdullah ‘has our full support​

The United States issues its first official response to the wave of arrests in Jordan for “security reasons.”

“We are closely following the reports and in touch with Jordanian officials. King Abdullah is a key partner of the United States, and he has our full support,” State Department spokesman Ned Price says in a statement.

Along with the arrests of senior officials, the head of Jordan’s armed forces said Abdullah’s half-brother Prince Hamza, the former crown prince, was told to stop “movements and activities” that endanger the country’s security and stability.

Back