Other Post 4x4 ???

We went up an only 4x4 track the other day to work on some trails for conservation project.. Department of Conservation are not allowed to use it. Got as far as the log across it and had to back up for over half a km to find a place to 3 point turn round. Big waste of time. My 20 year old saw decided it would pack a sad and didn't start, at home it went fine.
Went through a big hole, up some swampy hills, over a crossing with foot to spare and between washed out culverts with 50mm on either side spare. She got her first scrub scratches too. Bull bars prooved fine for pushing throgh pampas and scrub.

Have you put a catch can on it yet?

Good idea.. Not yet. Currently building a plywood dog box/tool box for the deck.

And just to make me suffer the neighbors bought one...

131333153_816749978893005_2466335077409430145_n.jpg

I know they are getting sponsors but its seems to me that some of these guys are losing the plot with their megabuilds...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is this due to the strict weight issues or the need to bring your entire house on the outback? Looking at the custom builds you would think labor costs in Australia is as cheap as the Philippines.

Luckily there still our lord saviors Ronnie Dahl, who went to a different direction and went with a Hilux and show casing how far it can go in stocke before kitting it out.

My walk round...Mine is equipped with plywood box. Its easily removed with one nut and replaced by fencing posts and strainers.

Looking at the custom builds you would think labor costs in Australia is as cheap as the Philippines.

Some dudes have cash to burn. Jason Andrews in particular throws ridiculous cash (quarter of a million plus) at his builds and he's doing 2 or 3 of them a year. Most I imagine are purely for demonstrating new developments in gear.

Some dudes have cash to burn. Jason Andrews in particular throws ridiculous cash (quarter of a million plus) at his builds and he's doing 2 or 3 of them a year. Most I imagine are purely for demonstrating new developments in gear.
Yeah part of that would be to showcase what is out there. Would ve nice though if they show whats practical rather than vehicles that are over kill

He finally realized that he lost the plot and the reason why he does overlanding... Im guessing a newer vehicle is in the works.

The same trail but me getting the hang of my drone...

Was driving to a road construction site in the middle of the boonies and on our way there the Ranger blew a hole in its turbo hose, had to limp all the way to a friends ranch. ( luckily i missed teh diversion route and passed through the longer highway as the diversion route would be in the middle of no where). 8-10 year old ranger and it blew a turbo hose, apparently its third one, at first i thought "man thats the 3.2s weakness"

Then I saw them offload, 4 grease buckets, some spare parts and a one whole differential for a Caterpillar. Had I known I would have gone easier on the accelerator and stayed below 100kph through the mountain passes.

The said vehicle ate the friends ranch
ran.jpg

Destination:
dest.jpg

road construction area... parts are not for that cat.
dest2.jpg

2021-04-06-001-001.jpg
Plenty of Aluminum dog boxes around, some even painted black.
My plywood box for dog and tools. Plywood keeps the dog box better insulated from cold and heat. Descent size vents on both side ends lets in plenty of air. Top lid still flexes a bit too much even with 4mmx40mmx40mm angle iron re-enforcing. Made it a little too snug fitting and its a little too tight to lift open. Lock in the centers reachable from both sides. Dog box at drivers side.

Old pics of snapshots with beloved 3/4 Blue ACD. Late '86 CJ-7. 1986 was last year for the CJ-7 where they ran out of AMC 20 rear ends, and substituted Dana 44 as OEM. Trail is Tree Planting Road, Big Island Hawaii, between Volcano Hwy and Saddle Rd. It runs through the 1984 Mauna Loa eruption. You can see the silvery lichens starting to break down the lava field. Fun!

IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG

Back