Other Post 4x4 ???

primer

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
So am looking at getting a 4x4, particularly for off road obviously. However manufactures have muddied their concepts of this kind of vehicle in the drive for more sales to urban 4x4 buyers.
Low to ground chassis with electric push button 4x4 wheel braking traction control that can't climb a hill and loosin momentum all over the hill each time a wheel looses contact ground force. These have apparently replaced hill climbing gear stick selected low range and get out and manually turn the hub lock for no slip of differential that can climb hills without a breather and clean undies.
Maintaining momentum being the necessary prerequisite in 4x4 off road.

Also it appears looking at videos of Aussies in their new pickups that this new generation has forgotten the Land cruiser and Nissan patrol of olde times. One of note has thousands of followers and hundreds of videos on youtube and fairly recently installed retro fitted rear diff lock to his limited slip diff traction control sensing Landcruiser and commented that it was a great improvement. Why did he not simply buy the one with factory front and rear diff lock perplexes the writer.

So its gonna be a second hand buy as its going to get desecrated and scratched up regardless.
So maybe at this point the list is an older Land cruiser with the factory installed front and rear diff lock, Nissan NP300 retro fitted rear difflock or a Folkswagon Amarok with traction control and optional front and rear difflock.

Toyota Hilux have currently S**t themselves with their Diesel Particle Filter to satisfy Euro regulations causing a good to many of them to puff smoke and go into limp mode or very ironically be fined for too much exhaust emissions. They will no doubt fix this. Its a legacy of them delaying research and development to abide by Euro 4 regs while al the others had done all that end were working on Euro 5 that requires reduction in nitros oxide.

Both the last vehicles have the dreaded particle filter and inevitable replacement cost at 200,000 kms at 4-8 thousand $ or periodic cleaning at less costs. These are all common rail, high pressure diesel engines built for fuel economy and shhhh higher maintenance costs.

Mercedes, Renault, Nissan ganged up together on this R&D advantage pre ousted cost slasher Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn escape in a suitcase. Leaving Toyota isolated to solve its own dilemmas.

Another odd thing is I may import a good one from Aussie as NZ prices are gouged. This is viable despite me loosing 7% on currency conversion, 3K to get it here and fill in forms and further loss of 15% of GST tax as can claim it as business cost.

With Australia purchasing a new fleet of military off-road vehicles, shouldn't Oceania be rife with second-hand four-by-fours?

Why not a second hand Hilux then before the DPF? I'm lucky enough that I live in a part of Asia where we get the benefits of the new Hilux without the DPF.

All the older ones don't have the power and now all have the high kms on the clock.
Need to tow machinery and carry more, should have mentioned it. The following 7th generation common rail engines don't have the diff lock. Well some did get it but I haven't seen any yet. They did get the exhaust gas reticulation as well to further stifle power.
Their present iteration the 8.2 gen could have its PDF ceramic filter reamed out by a long drill and refitted. It already has good ground clearance, power, flexible suspension and rear difflock while the front keeps its traction control. 8.1 gen couldn't use traction control while in diff lock. Very odd that.

I have one of the 2018 model that comes with a rear diff lock, i would expect that almost all the aussie rigs would have one as standard. My guess is too much competition and the diff locks were seen as a way to cut cost to remain competitive. When I was with Toyota back in 2004 as one of the product planners, the diff locks was available for all markets. it was one of the first things taken out to keep it competitively priced.

Many of the Land Cruisers and Patrols just have the slip diff over there. Its hard to find a Patrol ute there with a diff lock. Here a much higher % of the land cruisers have front and rear diff lock. Our terrain is steeper?
I like the Patrol axles and their slip diff reputation but the diff lock here is sometimes required.

Its more of different uses. Most land cruisers and Patrols here are land whales, never used to go off road. The ones that do, tend to bemore overlanding rather tha n extreme terrains. Those SUVs here cost double of the price you pay for down there

You have that culture for respectfully pimping the jeeps. These older 4.2 diesels are holding their value now or atleast their asking price is good on trademe here. That's our version of ebay.
Nissan had its time to shine with their 4.2 and the Toyota turbo injected, well holy Jesus, the prices for the faithful on those are like Lexus's. My Scots heritage forces me to firmly clamp my purse shut on that idea.

yeah the land cruisers here are holding up on their value very well. So my 2018 Hilux brand new cost about the same as an LC80 1992 model. :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like the original slogan "you'll be fine"

How about UAZ?

Real affordable, unavailable, "broke the wall in European crash test" offroader.

Why can't we have these kind of cars that cost the same as Yaris?

How about UAZ?

Real affordable, unavailable, "broke the wall in European crash test" offroader.

Why can't we have these kind of cars that cost the same as Yaris?
Lada Niva (3 or 5 doors model) would be a better choice:
- Better build quality
- Much more common (even outside the former commie block)
- Still "dirt cheap"
- More slowly turns into the rust bucket

Some driving experience:

It had a following here in NZ. Can't dispute it was good value and basic.

Must amend. Got it wrong re the Amaroks front and rear diff lock, its only rear from factory.

Yeah most trucks now have rear diff locks only.

This guy also turboed a 4.2.

Further Nissan techs think after market rear diff lock for the NP300 would mess with its sensors.

I need a flat deck. There just aren't many that fit the bill. Just a sea of double cabs here.

Get the Hilux, drill the DPF and get on with it :D

Back