The Dutch MoD is looking at acquiring agricultural land to establish a munitions depot in the north of the country "for use by other NATO members" (I think we all know which one it's going to be).

The article raises some valid points, but also some weird or incorrect ones.
This pacifist outlook – a result of the former West Germany confronting the crimes of the former Nazi regime during the post-Second World War-era – has enabled multiple generations of German politicians to ignore the decrepit state of the Bundeswehr.
Not true. Just compare the German military with what it is now and what it used to be before the end of the Cold War, when Warsaw Pact planners judged that only the Germans and Americans (and perhaps the French) would actually be capable and willing to offer resistance in Central Europe. It's one generation of politicians we're talking about, a fact which is both reassuring and a damning indictment at the same time.
German soldiers are quartered in dilapidated barracks and are left to buy their own equipment.
"Dilapidated barracks"? Nonsense. As a matter of fact, one big reason for the financial strain continuing post 2014 despite increased military spending were extensive infrastructure investments (in a bid to become a more attractive employer). When I was in, I was housed in a room with eight others in hideously uncomfortable bunk beds. Our sanitary facilities were so much prison-like someone was constantly making jokes about dropping the soap. Today, you've got double bedrooms or quadruple bedrooms built to hospitality standards with single-beds, WIFI, refrigerators, flat screen TVs and private bathrooms each.

And show me a military where soldiers don't buy personalised gear to look more tactigucci.
Transporting soldiers and equipment – crucial to rapid response in a European conflict involving a NATO partner – is limited by a legal system and its labyrinth of separate rules and permits over Germany’s 16 states which render moving armored vehicles a logistical nightmare.
What on earth are they talking about? Transportation law is federal legislation, there's only one set of rules – not 16.
While some €30 billion of the €100 billion Special Fund has been earmarked for high-end acquisitions, the delivery timeline for key procurements such as 35 F-35 combat aircraft, 60 CH-47F Block II Chinook heavy-lift helicopters, and a first batch purchase of five P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft will run from 2025 through at least 2030. Meaning key future enablers – while on the way – are not arriving today.
Yes? Products do not magically appear out of thin air the very moment an acquisition contract has been signed?

This, people, is why I'm so vehemently arguing against exaggerated criticism. An opponent of increased military spending might easily do exactly what I've done here, exposing the invalid points whilst ignoring the valid ones and create the impression that nothing's really amiss.

@muck what is your opinion about the former NVA? I read they were the best troops in the Warsaw Pact and the only ones capable of putting a decent fight...

"Dilapidated barracks"? Nonsense. As a matter of fact, one big reason for the financial strain continuing post 2014 despite increased military spending were extensive infrastructure investments (in a bid to become a more attractive employer). When I was in, I was housed in a room with eight others in hideously uncomfortable bunk beds. Our sanitary facilities were so much prison-like someone was constantly making jokes about dropping the soap. Today, you've got double bedrooms or quadruple bedrooms built to hospitality standards with single-beds, WIFI, refrigerators, flat screen TVs and private bathrooms each.

And show me a military where soldiers don't buy personalised gear to look more tactigucci.

What on earth are they talking about? Transportation law is federal legislation, there's only one set of rules – not 16.
Depends on the standards I guess. The Dutch army made the move towards that type of housing sooner, but buildings are still moldy, poorly isolated and generally not beneficial to health. Just last year a base temporarily had to suspend work for weeks because conditions were so bad. It's been an issue for many years and not much is done about it because what can you do right? Meanwhile no effort or expense is spared on dotting the country with centers for assylum seekers ASAP.

But what if the equipment being bought on the civilian market are the bare essentials because the armed forces don't have it in stock nor on order because there is no money and politicians have other priorities even if the money was there?

Ops-vests, body armor, helmets. I recall it all being ordered because various armed forces were incapable of providing it to troops deploying to an active warzone.

This is true for NATO as a whole though where a move from one country to another with three in between involves at least five separate paperwork trails. Additionally after the Cold War infrastructure requirements were ignored to save money meaning a lot of the local and regional network can no longer support the heaviest loads, especially armour. Not to mention the poor state of infrastructure in general.

All in all, it's just very difficult to recruit soldiers in this country the regular way, not merely due to hard factors like demographic change.

I think it is difficult anywhere, if you talk about numbers for national defense in large scale war. That is why we tend to see switch to conscription in these kind of events. Even countries like russia with total control of information space, ultranationalism and military training in basic education had trouble.

Therefore I think the choice is, do you want your conscripts and large reserve trained and equipped beforehand in a timely manner, or do you want to train and equip them fast when SHTF. Surprisingly many countries currently, and in the past, chose the latter option.

@muck what is your opinion about the former NVA? I read they were the best troops in the Warsaw Pact and the only ones capable of putting a decent fight...
I've suggested this before: I genuinely think the reason for East Germans being much less averse towards Russia in comparison to the citizens of other former Russian client states is that Moscow cleverly made them feel as if they were on the right side of history again.

The former Nazis, the pariahs were all in West Germany according to Soviet propaganda. East Germans loved hearing that and repaid their new masters with a kind of loyalty which the Russians (understandably) failed to enlist from, say, the Poles or Czechoslovaks (the linked paper actually comments on Moscow's mistrust towards them, speculating they would've been no good on the offensive).

But to be fair, it's one hell of a motivator to know for sure that the next war will undoubtedly be waged in your literal back yard. Poland and the CSSR would've fought formidably if attacked by NATO. That they might not have fought as fiercely as the East Germans in the event of a Warsaw Pact attack on NATO speaks for them, I daresay.
Depends on the standards I guess. The Dutch army made the move towards that type of housing sooner, but buildings are still moldy, poorly isolated and generally not beneficial to health. Just last year a base temporarily had to suspend work for weeks because conditions were so bad. It's been an issue for many years and not much is done about it because what can you do right? Meanwhile no effort or expense is spared on dotting the country with centers for assylum seekers ASAP.
You know I share your sentiment here, but I also can't help but point out the fact that every once in a while even freshly-constructed asylum seeker centres have to close over some health code or building code violations … I guess we have developed a way of being rubbish at everything?

Nevertheless, in my estimation housing is amongst the few areas which are not concerning.
But what if the equipment being bought on the civilian market are the bare essentials because the armed forces don't have it in stock nor on order because there is no money and politicians have other priorities even if the money was there?

Ops-vests, body armor, helmets. I recall it all being ordered because various armed forces were incapable of providing it to troops deploying to an active warzone.
True, but that ceased being an issue like ten years ago. Soldiers spent thousands on non-issued gear for Afghanistan in particular, a damning indictment of both military and government. But the situation had already been improved much when I served as a reservist again in 2014. The only non-issued piece of equipment I felt like I had to buy was a pair of gloves, but that was on me and my kiddy fingers …

The last huge issue that remained a thing until recently were these things, the German equivalent to ALICE, with which everyone but the infantry and formations on deployment had to make do. I'll gladly admit I hated how I looked wearing that in 2015 (the Americans retired ALICE in the mid-2000's) – but frankly, it did serve its purpose, it just wasn't very comfortable and looked like S**t. But then again, if I consider what feats Ukrainian reservists accomplished in 2022 with even less than that, I can't with a straight face claim that even the infamous Koppeltragegestell would've prevented me from discharging my duties adequately.
This is true for NATO as a whole though where a move from one country to another with three in between involves at least five separate paperwork trails. Additionally after the Cold War infrastructure requirements were ignored to save money meaning a lot of the local and regional network can no longer support the heaviest loads, especially armour. Not to mention the poor state of infrastructure in general.
Yep. Particularly "yep" on the latter. The EU did (for once) something very wise there with its new infrastructure improvement scheme.

If you want to know why the German and Dutch armies concocted the "medium brigade" in the first place – all heavy equipment redeployments to Lithuania rely on a single railroad bridge. I was baffled when I read that. If that bridge gets taken out, it'd take a German or Dutch tracked brigade five to seven days to move to Vilnius on its own axles, including at least one river crossing.

That's where the Boxer comes into play, it could get there so much faster on its own eight wheels.
I think it is difficult anywhere, if you talk about numbers for national defense in large scale war. That is why we tend to see switch to conscription in these kind of events. Even countries like russia with total control of information space, ultranationalism and military training in basic education had trouble.

Therefore I think the choice is, do you want your conscripts and large reserve trained and equipped beforehand in a timely manner, or do you want to train and equip them fast when SHTF. Surprisingly many countries currently, and in the past, chose the latter option.
See, the funny part is we deliberately retained the constitutional provision for conscription to leave room for the very situation we're in now, foreseeing we probably wouldn't get a constitutional amendment through parliament in time. All it'd take now is a simple minority vote, but they're not even capable of agreeing on that.

The ranking defence committee member of Scholz's liberal coalition partner genuinely suggested the other day that the geopolitical situation wasn't threatening enough to justify so grave a restriction of personal freedom as conscription – and that's despite the fact we held onto conscription till 2011 (i.e. for an entire 21 years post 1990 when Germany was undoubtedly not militarily threatened). If the current situation doesn't justify going back to that well, I honestly don't know what would.

Senior members of the Russian government speak openly about their plans to attack the territory of Germany's allies and Germany itself. And you can always brush that off as "just talk", which it obviously is (until it isn't); but that's not responsible governance as far as I'm concerned. We need to prepare for the worst case possible, not the worst case we're capable of imagining. And Russia has made one thing clear in 2022: Their decision-making processes are not based on logic or a bookkeeping-like cost-benefit analysis.

Would you be surprised to hear the aforesaid liberal party was the strongest amongst first-time voters in 2021, and needs their votes in 2025 so as not to get kicked out of parliament again? Along with the Social Democratic and Green youth organisations (which are decisively more left-wing than their parent parties) they've seriously begun to build a case of "intergenerational justice".

They're genuinely suggesting that young people shouldn't be expected to serve a society that's "betrayed" them by way of having caused climate change. "End fossile fuels and I'll enlist" is a slogan I actually read on X the other day.

I'm afraid to say there's not just a "Western" and an economic aspect to this issue. There's also woke ideology which we'd have to overcome. And we just won't overcome it if we wait for generation "four-day week with no loss of pay" to come to its senses again …

Last edited:
Finland upgrades it's MRLS fleet with 450M€. This means that 12 vehicles that were purchased for driving training from Denmark will also be upgraded, raising the total number to 41 units mentioned below.

The Army multiple-launch rocket system (MLRS) fleet will be upgraded to a new version. The upgrade ensures long-range MLRS fires capacity also in the future.

The total of the Army MLRS fleet (41 pieces) will be upgraded to the new version of M270A2. The upgrade will improve the MLRS frame, gun mounts and fire control and battle management system. The upgrade will include modifications that modernise the MLRS fleet.

Minister of Defence Antti Häkkänen has approved the procurement of the life-cycle upgrade for the MLRS fleet operational in the Finnish Defence Forces. The initial MLRS procurements were made for the Finnish Defence Forces from the Netherlands, the U.S.A. and Denmark in 2006-2013.

– The MLRS fleet is part of the Finnish Defence Forces’ entity for long-range joint effects. The life-cycle upgrade ensures the usability and capability of the MLRS fleet well into the 2050s. This upgrade also enables using next-generation munitions and allows payload interoperability, Inspector of Artillery, Colonel Mika Holma from the Army Command says.

In August 2023, the U.S. Congress granted the authorisation for the sales to Finland.

The upgrade will be implemented by the U.S Lockheed Martin. The total value of the MLRS fleet upgrade, without value added tax, will be EUR 450 million. https://maavoimat.fi/-/raketinheiti...askantoisen-tulenkayttokyvyn?languageId=en_US

I am expecting some significant munition purchase soon also.

@Musashi We talked about those investments earlier, so the total spending is some 1.3 billion € with munitions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Everyone does this, in UK its a UOR - urgent operational requirement- in other words, we saw this, and we want it, now.

Everyone does this, in UK its a UOR - urgent operational requirement- in other words, we saw this, and we want it, now.
Yes, but that's funded at the unit level or higher up. We're talking people having to spend their own money for basic necessities.

Finland

Finland to purchase more Patria 6x6 armoured vehicles
The Finnish Defence Forces purchases more Patria 6x6 armoured vehicles by redeeming the additional purchase option related to the agreement signed in June 2023 when Patria signed an agreement for 91 vehicles with the Finnish Defence Forces Logistic Command. The agreement also included a purchase option up to 70 vehicles of which the Finnish Defence Forces now redeems 40 vehicles. Vehicle deliveries are currently underway.

"The purchase is part of the multinational CAVS (Common Armoured Vehicle System) programme which in addition to Finland includes Latvia, Sweden and Germany. During 2023 deliveries commenced also to Sweden and deliveries to Latvia have been underway since 2021. With close and excellent cooperation between the countries and Patria, the programme has proceeded quickly. The joint programme's research and development agreement was signed at the end of 2020 and since the deliveries have already taken place in three countries in three years,” says Jussi Järvinen, Executive Vice President of Patria’s Finland Division.

The first tens of vehicles have already been handed over to Pori brigade where the vehicle operation training for conscripts will start in the beginning of 2024. Patria 6x6 offers unprecedented mobility and user comfort in its class. The controls are very clear and simple to use and independent suspension increases user comfort. The steering of the Patria 6x6 is similar to any automatic car, making the use easy to learn.

Defence Forces to procure domestic off-road vehicles
Defence Minister Antti Häkkänen has authorised the Defence Forces to order 13 Sisu GTP 4x4 off-road vehicles from Oy Sisu Auto Ab. The overall value of the procurement, without value added tax, is about EUR 9.7 million.

- By procuring domestic vehicles, we develop the Army's mobility and secure military security of supply. In addition, the procurement has a significant regional employment effect in Western Uusimaa, says Minister Häkkänen.

In 2020 and 2022, the Defence Forces purchased 31 Sisu GTP 4x4 vehicles.

A dam part of a flood buffer area broke near Maastricht, southern Netherlands. The air force has been using slingloads under Chinooks to drop rocks into the gap to close it. The bridge close by is in danger of collapsing as a house boat crashed into it so road transport isn't an option and the currents and waterdepth prevent the use of crane ships.

Upwards of 50 loads of 4,000kg so far.

I wonder how many people are complaining about the noise now :rolleyes:

Amid the worsening situation with the Houthis in Yemen, British Typhoon fighters attacked two Yemeni Houthi targets in Bani and Abbs with Paveway IV guided bombs. The Paveway IV guided bomb with a modified laser and GPS guidance system has been produced by the American-British company Raytheon since 2008. The pilot of the aircraft can pre-program the operating mode of the bomb fuse. There are three modes in total: air detonation of a bomb over the target, detonation after hitting the target with a time delay, and detonation after hitting the target. The weight of the Paveway-IV bomb is 225 kilograms. The bomb is used by England, the USA, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

The German company Mehler Protection presented a promotional video with the passive armored exoskeleton “ExoM”. The exoskeleton has a high level of ballistic protection and redistributes up to 70% of the load, which allows soldiers to carry heavy equipment. The ExoM exoskeleton is equipped with a flexible “spine”, a sliding waist belt and articulated hip, knee and ankle “joints”, which provides the operator with up to 99% ease of movement. The exoskeleton consists of titanium structures, the exoskeleton is armored according to the VPAM 8 protection class, which provides protection against three hits of armor-piercing incendiary bullets with a caliber of 7.62 × 39 mm. Thanks to the exoskeleton, physical stress on a person is reduced and the likelihood of injury is reduced. The exoskeleton does not require external power sources, making it suitable for long missions.

"Germany likely to trigger an option for two additional F-126 frigates" says Hartpunkt.de
A motion for a vote in the defence committee to authorise the purchase has already been filed and is sure to pass. And it's a good thing, too. Even this broken administration isn't stupid enough to pass up the only chance to buy the last pair at an already fixed price. Due to inflation, these already overpriced ships will become almost 50% more expensive in a few months time.

The same motion also mentions further requests for funding, by the way – a whole bunch of infrastructure projects and upgrades, but also Skyranger self-propelled anti-air guns; Boxer infantry fighting vehicles; two communication satellites; combat boats; AMRAAM air-to-air missiles; Brimstone air-to-ground missiles; and 6.500 logistical trucks, amongst other items.

Last edited:
A motion for a vote in the defence committee to authorise the purchase has already been filed and is sure to pass. And it's a good thing, too. Even this broken administration isn't stupid enough to pass up the only chance to buy the last pair at an already fixed price. Due to inflation, these already overpriced ships will become almost 50% more expensive in a few months time.
The thing I'm worried about is the lack of armenent. It has more displacement than an Arleigh Burke class destroyer, but only a fraction of the firepower. Russia has a class of corvettes that's more heavily armed than these behemoths.

Yeah, without the ASW module fitted they're quick to get winded, and I don't understand the point of not exercising the for-but-not-with option for 32 VLS cells. But I like I've said before, it's somewhat pointless in this case to belabour the point of displacement because they're intentionally bigger than normal units. All new German ship classes are designed that way, for better or worse.

The crew is provided with commercial shipping standard individual cabins, which takes up a lot of additional space and supposedly will make recruitment and retention easier; there's accomodations for another 84 embarked personnel; and they have this insane requirement that all ships have to be able to be deployed around the clock for two years non-stop. Combined with the requirement of a small complement (leading to exceptionally high levels of automation), this creates roomy sections where every system must be accessible at all times for ad-hoc repairs.

In a certain way, it's a return to the age of sail where a damaged war ship could stop in any harbour and carry out battle damage repairs. But everything on these ships is bigger. The galley is literally three times as big as that of a F 123 (which serves a larger complement).

In my estimation, these ships represent a design philosophy that is emblematic of what's not right with the modern German military at the moment: "We need this feature, we need it yesterday, whatever the costs, whatever the drawbacks!" It's like demanding a Ferrari with a tow coupling, because you never know when you might wanna zoom down the Autobahn with your caravan in tow … I'm also not happy with the module concept, and I don't get why it is all the rage with all the navies right now. They almost never use it anyway.

/edit Autocorrect. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This year, Germany will meet (and surpass) NATO's 2% guideline for the first time since 1990. The budget passed by parliament earmarks a regular budget of €51.95 billion plus special investment funds for a total of €72 billion ($78.4 billion). This is equal to 2.1% of GDP. (Source)

France’s Defence Procurement Agency ordered more than €1.1 billion (U.S. $1.2 billion) of self-propelled howitzers, armored vehicles and helicopters as part of the country’s plan to modernize its armed forces through to 2030.

The agency is buying 109 new-generation Caesar truck-mounted howitzers from Nexter Systems, a unit of KNDS, for about €350 million, the agency, known as DGA, said in a statement late Thursday. The orders placed in December also include Serval armoured troop carriers from KNDS and Texelis and eight additional NH90 helicopters for the French special forces.

France has budgeted €413 billion euros for the armed forces in its 2024-2030 military programming law, a 40% increase over the previous period. The government has said it seeks for France to remain a major world power, while transforming the armed forces in the context of a return to high-intensity conflicts.

The procurement agency said total military equipment orders in 2023 amounted to €20.3 billion, of which nearly €9 billion came in December alone, including the purchase of 42 Rafale aircraft for more than €5 billion announced last month.

“These orders are intended to renew and modernize the capacities of the armed forces in all domains: air, land, naval and space,” DGA said.

The Caesar MkII ordered for the French Army will have an armoured cabin to protect against mines and small-calibre arms, a need that became apparent from French deployments in Afghanistan and Africa’s Sahel region, KNDS said in a Feb. 2 statement. The truck-mounted cannon will have a new 460 HP engine more than double as powerful as the previous one, a new six-wheel chassis provided by Arquus and updated fire control software.
1707212793761.png

https://www.defensenews.com/global/...-billion-of-cannons-vehicles-and-helicopters/