Photos Tunnel warfare

morris

Banned
MI.Net Member
Tunnel warfare is a general name for war being conducted in tunnels and other underground cavities. It often includes the construction of underground facilities in order to attack or for defence and the use of existing natural caves and artificial underground facilities (catacombs, city communications, etc.) for military purposes. Tunnels can be used to undermine fortifications and slip into territory, while it can strengthen a defence by creating the possibility of ambush, counterattack and the ability to transfer troops from one portion of the battleground to another unseen and protected. Also, tunnels can serve as shelter for combatants and non-combatants from enemy attack.

australian-miners-tunnelling-in-world-war-one_orig.jpg

Australian Miners tunnelling in World War One.

british-tunnelers-working-with-australian-tunneling-companies-hill-63.jpeg

World War One British Tunnelers working with Australian Tunneling companies.. Hill 63 Belgium.

taken-at-the-mine-rescue-station-of-the-3rd-australian-tunnelling-company-at-hulluch-tunnels-h...jpg

Taken at the Mine Rescue Station of the 3rd Australian Tunnelling Company at Hulluch Tunnels Hill 60.

world-war-one-british-soldiers-sappers-miners-working-hard-in-mine-dug-under-german-trenches_o...png

World War One British sappers/miners are busy secretly working in a tunnel. many metres under the German line.

in-world-war-one-a-sapper-who-would-use-a-geophone-to-listen-to-enemy-activity-through-the-roc...png

In World War One A sapper who would use a geophone to listen to enemy activity through the rocks.

taken-at-the-mine-rescue-station-of-the-3rd-australian-tunnelling-company-at-hulluch-tunnels-h...jpg

Taken at the Mine Rescue Station of the 3rd Australian Tunnelling Company at Hulluch Tunnels Hill 60

april-and-may-1917-the-australians-were-tunneling-5-5-metres-per-day-in-their-efforts-to-prepa...jpg

April and May 1917 the Australians were tunneling 5.5 metres per day in their efforts to prepare great mines for the impending attack on Messines Ridge.

seven-thousand-were-captured-on-this-historic-occasion-and-spoke-with-awe-of-the-preliminary-b...jpg

Hill 60 - Seven Thousand were captured on this historic occasion and spoke with awe of the preliminary British explosion of mines on the ridge.

Vietcong_tunnels-USAR.jpg

Cross-sectional diagram of Vietcong tunnel system used by the communist insurgents during the Vietnam War.

Vietcong1968.jpg

A Viet Cong soldier crouches in a bunker with an SKS rifle. 1968

Australian_Soldier_Operation_Crimp.jpg

19 year old Australian soldier and Tunnel Rat Spr. Keith Mills. 3 Field Troop. RAE. 1965/1966, looking into a Viet Cong tunnel discovered during Operation Crimp, Vietnam.

NARA_111-CCV-529-CC38112_Ronald_A._Payne_checking_tunnel_entrance_Operation_Cedar_Falls_1967.jpg

SGT Ronald A. Payne (Atlanta, Ga) Squad Leader, Company A, 1st Battalion, 5th Mechanized Infantry, 25th Infantry Division, checks a tunnel entrance before entering. This was one of several tunnels found in the Cu Chi, Republic of Vietnam area. This tunnel was found while the company was conducting a search and destroy mission as a part of Operation “Cedar Falls” in the Hobo Woods area. 24 January 1967.

Sgt._Ronald_A._Payne_Tunnel_Rat-Vietnam_War,_1-24-1967.png

SGT Ronald A. Payne (Atlanta, GA) Squad Leader, CO A, 1st BN, 5th Mechanized Infantry, 25th Infantry Division, moves through a tunnel in search of Viet Cong and their equipment, during Operation "Cedar Falls" in the Hobo Woods about 25 miles North of Saigon. 24 January 1967.

Nuclear, biological, chemical and tunnels, big no-no even in freaking wars.
Did they use guns in those tunnels ? i can't even imagine what it would do to your hearing if fired.

I remember in a television series called "tour of duty" that in a chapter they talked about "tunnel rats" and showed some short-sized soldiers, likewise in "platoon" some scenes of that task are also shown, including Forrest Gump he also made attempts like "tunnel rat"

Back