Admin Site upgrade

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
Morning to all
I have just conducted a major site upgrade which will offer some new features to users and to admin and mods in the back end.
You may notice some things around the site that need some minor attention (this is normal) and they will be rectified soon.

I will post a summary of the improvements soon however from an admin point of view the most impressive is the optimisation of uploaded images to a WEBP format, this will happen automatically regardless of what format you are uploading e.g Jpeg, the result will be faster loading pages and less strain on our server.

Stay tuned

Last edited:
Just an update regarding image optimisation
The reduction in file size once an image is converted to webp format is incredible, I am working in the background converting all images and have seen a 3.9Mb image reduced to 533Kb without any noticeable change in image quality, this will really be a game changer for page speeds and search engine optimisation not to mention reduction in how much server space we are using up

Just a warning
Optimized images (Webp) will not load on certain older browsers such as some Apple systems released prior to September 2020.
We do not expect this will impact any of our members/viewers and we have not received any reports of problems loading images.

This new advanced image format provides huge benefits to our site and although we appreciate a very small minority could be affected I believe it is the right way forward.