Firearms Restoration COLT M1911 1914

I know he test fired it in the vice first but I would still be having my doubts about it :oops:
Still that took a lot of time and effort to restore to that condition so deserves a lot of credit :)

I know he test fired it in the vice first but I would still be having my doubts about it :oops:
Still that took a lot of time and effort to restore to that condition so deserves a lot of credit :)
My old 67 model colt commander Aluminum Framed was a lot easier to disassemble. It was a short barrel version used by Detectives and other people who wanted a big punch weapon. Little penetration but one heck of a knock down weapon. I paid 94 dollars new in the box at a little Dallas Texas gun store. Today it would be worth starting at 600 bucks and up. The real shocker was when I read an old Army Riot gun was going for upwards of 5000 bucks 😲

I remembered watching this video when I first saw it on my YT feed while browsing. Something about watching that sandblasting is pleasing to me. If I knew anything about refinishing I'd probably have a lot of fun with it or the removal part at least, lol.

I remembered watching this video when I first saw it on my YT feed while browsing. Something about watching that sandblasting is pleasing to me. If I knew anything about refinishing I'd probably have a lot of fun with it or the removal part at least, lol.
Bluing is pretty simple, my old buddy was a gunsmith and he showed me how the bluing was done. He was building hunting rifles using the old Japanese WWII rifles and using modern stocks and scopes. He had a long trough like a chick feeder that he poured in the salt used for bluing and you would need to raise the water temp to about 360 degrees so the process would start. You had to de grease all your parts you wanted to blue and then make sure there were no scratches, the bluing process does not cure scratches and any type of flaws so they have to be very clean, the working parts not so much. You take a coat hanger and drop your parts into the mixture and let it sit there for at least 30 minutes and they come out looking new. I noticed in that video that the person washed them with some kind of mixture to remove any left over salt accumulated. My friend knew I had a little Saturday night special 22 short that would fit in your shirt pocket and since they outlawed those in the US back in the 60s they were very hard to find. He ask me if I wanted to sell it but I just gave it to him I had no use for it. He totally restored it and showed it to me and it looked like it came out of the box, then he laughed and told me it would sell for 250 bucks. New it probably cost 14 dollars ha It worked out well because later he needed a computer motherboard which I had one in the box I never used so he traded me a really nice Russian Makarov 9x18 that had a nice aluminum frame. You could put this in your boot and no one would know you had it. It was a nice gun except the grip length which was always too short and also reduced the clip round count. You could use a packed round but needed to space them because the barrels were weak and it was likely you could crack a barrel with too many packed rounds one after another. You can buy ammo back then from china for a penny on the dollar. I moved back to this state I am in now and work got hard to find after the first year back so I had to sell the gun to feed my two dogs. Now all I have is an aluminum baseball bat which is just as well because I can't see the tip of my nose anyway.

.com%2Fwordpress%2F2017%2F06%2FMakarovarticleguns6.jpg

Back