Doggie-On-A-Stick

Frisco-Kid

Sergeant Major
MI.Net Member
One time while patrolling through a ville in the Central Highlands, a buddy and I stop to watch a woman that is squatted down cooking some pieces of meat that are skewed on a piece of split bamboo. She is holding them over a charcoal broiler like roasting marshmellows. She looks up at us, gives us a big, black-toothed smile [from chewing beetle nuts], and offers us some that is already cooked up laying on a large banana leaf next to her. We grin back at her and, through mostly sign language, ask her what it is. When she gets the gist of the question, she says something in Vietnamese. We look at her and shrug our ignorance. So.......she BARKS at us!
"DAMN," we say in unison.
"She's cookin' a freakin' dog," says my buddy.
Well, being 19yr. old paratroopers, we're not going to let this woman, or each other, think that we're chickens, so we say "Sure," and each take a stick. Each one has four pieces of meat on it. Watching each other, we warily take a piece of meat into our mouths and slowly start chewing. After a couple of seconds we grin at each other. It's a little tough, but doesn't taste bad at all! Tastes like any other piece of roasted meat; somewhere between pork and beef. We down the other pieces. I give the woman $1.00 in MPC and we head out, laughing and teasing each other about having just eaten a freakin' dog.

solafGood story, I love telling people who are a little too attached to their dogs, about haveing Dog Ka Bobs when we were along side in some port in the Carribean. They were good me and my buddy had two. It seems as far as westerners go the only people who have tasted dog are military. The look on the faces is priceless...LOL

Bob outsal;sal;

I enjoy telling my freinds that I just love puppies......especially with taters n' gravy. solthum

I had dog a number of times in VN. Being an advisor, we pretty well ate what was offered..didn't want to risk offending the locals. Like Frisco said, it's a bit tough but it's meat.

"If it tastes good, don't ask what it is."

Back