Photos CV 707 Vesikko 1/72 (Special Navy kit)

HorniePonie

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
I started a Finnish navy CV 707 Vesikko (a Special Navy Kit in 1/72) as a some sort of therapy project.

The first impressions of the model were rather good - no bad flashes and the parts are quite straight. On the negative side there are no studs for alignment and there are a ton of 0.4-1.2mm holes to drill. Definitely not a beginner model and I am by no means an excellent modeller, but we'll see...
F23_2799-m-2000w.jpg

For those not familiar with Vesikko, it was designed by a Dutch company IvS and built by Crichton Vulcan as a prototype submarine for the later German Type II boats. It was purchased by Finland and after serving in the war is currently a museum piece in the Suomenlinna fortress. The photo is of me seeing it for the first time in the 80s. I was very impressed. Back then it was in the gray/red paint of 1933-1939. Nowadays it is in 1943 black/white/red colors, which I am building.
Epson-Image_20211028-markun-lapsuutta-1980-luvun-alku_0003-sukellusvene-vesikko-2000w.jpg

Oh, how I hate making the railings. 1mm thick plastic posts and tensioning 0,2mm metal wire through 0,3mm holes. I used yarn in my previous sub. Both materials seem to have their pros and cons.

I took the time to drill small holes in the deck for the posts as the ones that were in the kit seemed a little too small and shallow.
F23_2925-stack-m-2000w.jpg

Slow progress... I raised the flag for our independence day. I think it needs some very light weathering. My first flag experiment was okayish, but the flag is such an eye magnet, that I wanted to redo the pole and the flag. Looks better now.

I got the decals from www.rcsubs.cz and I also bought decals and photo etched parts with better quality propellers for the earlier version of Vesikko in case I want to build it as some point. I got good service from there and the products are of good quality - recommendations.

I also made a base from oak with 3D printed place holder poles. They will be turned from brass at some point.
20231209_222237-m-2000w.jpg

Since I only have hand tools for wood, I made drawings and asked a carpenter I know to make a frame for the casing. I will finish it with a router and coat it the same way as the base. Quite beautiful already.
20240104_154843-m-2000w.jpg

A rather good video of Vesikko (English subs) with aerial footage of angles and deck details that are harder to come by in other reference photos.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A video with some wartime footage
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think I'm going to call it more or less finished. The radio cables were a pain in the butt to say the least. I spent five hours with them and almost threw the whole model into the fireplace. I used 0,2mm copper wire coated in black, which worked quite ok (not great, not terrible) once I got some kind of a routine for it. The primer wasn't that good with sticking to resin parts, so they needed quite a lot of touch ups after manhandling the copper wire in and around them.

Now it needs a CV-707 Vesikko brass sign, but that will have to wait a little.
F24_3548-m-2000w.jpg
F24_3547-m-2000w.jpg