Knives Etc Beet knife

NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
Since HQ says non-military blades are okay, here's one I found when I cleaned out Dad's house. A vintage beet knife.

Back in the day, sugar beets were harvested with a horse-drawn beet puller which did only that: simply pulled beets from the ground. Workers then used one of these knives to pick the beet up - lop off the leaves and toss it onto a wagon. Very labor intensive - as was most farm work.

Now, farmers go over the beets with a mowing machine that shreds the tops. Then comes a puller to extract them for storage in a hopper from which they are automatically loaded into trucks while the puller is still in operation.

Something tells me possession of this farm tool in the UK would quickly cause a trip to jail!

blade 002 (1024x470).jpg

blade 003 (1024x291).jpg

I'd soak it in a rust remover.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Something tells me possession of this farm tool in the UK would quickly cause a trip to jail!

It's probably no different than the hand-axe I own for splitting logs that are too big to go in my stove - it depends on the circumstances and what you're doing with it. If I use that axe to split logs at home, then no problem, if I take it to my parents place to chop branches off a tree, then no problem, if I'm camping and want it for getting firewood, then no problem. If I tucked it in my belt and tried to take it into a busy pub on a Friday night or into a football game, then problem.

Nice find

I do quite a bit of hedge laying in early spring as we have a lot of hawthorn on the perimeter of the nursery

Modern hedge laying tools are really poor in comparison to old ones - so I tend to pick them up off e-bay

In the UK most counties have their own design as the hedging changes - I have a few different types

As for the UK whilst I am on my own land I always carry a very large slashing knife about 18" long, as people seem to think that they have a right to wander about on your land - which tend to *iss me off a lot

Back