Politics ‘Stop Sanders’ Democrats Are Agonizing Over His Momentum

Jake84

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
TheMess.Net
Ukraine
First post about American politics on this forum:

WASHINGTON — When Leah Daughtry, a former Democratic Party official, addressed a closed-door gathering of about 100 wealthy liberal donors in San Francisco last month, all it took was a review of the 2020 primary rules to throw a scare in them.

Democrats are likely to go into their convention next summer without having settled on a presidential nominee, said Ms. Daughtry, who ran her party’s conventions in 2008 and 2016, the last two times the nomination was contested. And Senator Bernie Sanders is well positioned to be one of the last candidates standing, she noted.

“I think I freaked them out,” Ms. Daughtry recalled with a chuckle, an assessment that was confirmed by three other attendees. They are hardly alone.

From canapé-filled fund-raisers on the coasts to the cloakrooms of Washington, mainstream Democrats are increasingly worried that their effort to defeat President Trump in 2020 could be complicated by Mr. Sanders, in a political scenario all too reminiscent of how Mr. Trump himself seized the Republican nomination in 2016.

Thanks for being the brave poster to break the ice @Jake84 with the first US domestic politics post!

Paging the usual suspects.

on topic:

The Democratic Party leadership establishment is going all out against Sen. Sanders if online activity and media op-eds are anything to judge from. Seeing tax return accusations, insinuation of Russian influence, racism, sexual harassment in his campaign. Pretty much anything they can throw at him.

With the willingness to engage in factional infighting I'm not too enthusiastic about 2020 prospects. Have a strong feeling Trump is going to continue making America great again for a few more years.

Last edited:
I would agree wholeheartedly DC . You almost get the feeling the Dems would rather loose than win with Sanders as president . the only other nomination I've any time for is tulsi ( I think she's made the debate stage though the UK doesn't exactly get showered with US political news past trump ) and she's about as much chance as Sanders has which is very little .

Well, the current Dem golden boy is Pete Buttigieg. He's well spoken and he is as left wing as the rest of the pack. Plus as a bonus he's gay!

???"Feel the Bern!" ??

The democrats are going to self destruct.

They are impaling themselves on the "I hate Trump and really, really wish he wasn't President" horn, combined with this race to see who can go more radically left is just ......crazy. All fueled by a corrupt media.

Thanks for being the brave poster to break the ice @Jake84 with the first US domestic politics post!

Paging the usual suspects.

on topic:

The Democratic Party leadership establishment is going all out against Sen. Sanders if online activity and media op-eds are anything to judge from. Seeing tax return accusations, insinuation of Russian influence, racism, sexual harassment in his campaign. Pretty much anything they can throw at him.

With the willingness to engage in factional infighting I'm not too enthusiastic about 2020 prospects. Have a strong feeling Trump is going to continue making America great again for a few more years.

Bernie's support runs deep though. The siren song of "free stuff" is powerful to his flock. BTW, the rest of the left is freaked out that he had town hall on Fox yesterday with a huge audience.

Bernie's support runs deep though. The siren song of "free stuff" is powerful to his flock. BTW, the rest of the left is freaked out that he had town hall on Fox yesterday with a huge audience.

I have seen snippets . Kept getting cheered every time he mentioned single payer . Don't know if it was a representative audience or a loaded one .......

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2020 campaign is going to be hilarious. How many Democrats are going to run again? According to this article... 18!!!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/politics/2020-democrats-running-for-president/index.html

I'm not 100% sure kap but I don't think super delegates are allowed in the first round , but will in the second . Does 18 running effectively dilute the vote in the first round , forcing more though to the second thus giving the super delegates choice on who they want to run ? Again I'm not 100% on how the voting system works , but I do know Bernie got screwed over by Hilary last time .

It's a S**t show that I can't properly explain. It always seems to change every election when whatever side loses.

I am looking forward to the debates. It was pure comedy in 2016. Trump got under everyone's skin, especially Hillary's.

I am looking forward to the debates. It was pure comedy in 2016. Trump got under everyone's skin, especially Hillary's.

Haha! That never gets old!

Back