Politics Shortages all around the world

Shanghai port workers will be isolated so the port can stay open.
Here we go again. Yet the previous delays haven't even caught up yet.

I wonder what this "isolation" will look like... I wouldn't be surprised if a worst case scenario was indeed implemented; "isolation on site".

There is no replacement for displacement.
or
View attachment 384147
You might think that but I do enjoy seeing the very surprised look on Porsche and AMG drivers when a Ford Focus keeps up with them off the lights. The only car that has ever made me feel like I am standing still was a Tesla Performance. 0-100kmh in 3.5 seconds*. Insane.

*and it doesn't need launch control and a pro driver to achieve that time. Performance electric is ridiculously quick.

View attachment 384146

I even got my calculator out, still came up 4 cylinders short...
Aye. It gets outrun. V8 wins (the quarter mile) every time. Still fun though. ;-)

0-100 the RS will surprise you. I drove a Mustang GT for a little while. There is a vast difference between an all wheel launch and rear wheel launch off the line. The Focus launches on all four wheels. The Mustang has to put it down via the rear wheels.

Both cars are fun to drive.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a long vid but worth it for the tub, ;-)

Is there something wrong with their transmissions?
Son was saying he's heard some stories about them.

They're dropping a petrol turbo V6 into the next model, just shy of 300kw.
Yeah my mate mentioned that he was thinking about getting one. Twin turbo six. He currently drives an Audi SQ5 . I pointed out that the almighty RS is 257kw stock. He still wants to do the coyote engine swap. Time will tell.

Neary 300kw in a ute is nuts. That is some serious power as it is.

Saw a shelf full of standard rapeseed cooking oil today, and I was like "Oh hey, it's back. So much for the alleged shortage." Then I saw the price tag: EUR 4.99 per litre. Dude, we're not talking about cheap olive oil, this is the industrial crap that usually comes at 80 cents per bottle.

Saw a shelf full of standard rapeseed cooking oil today, and I was like "Oh hey, it's back. So much for the alleged shortage." Then I saw the price tag: EUR 4.99 per litre. Dude, we're not talking about cheap olive oil, this is the industrial crap that usually comes at 80 cents per bottle.
Buy Oil from a Catering Supplier ... Oil drum size , similar sized bottles

Buy Oil from a Catering Supplier ... Oil drum size , similar sized bottles
I don't use it much anyway, so I think a big ol' drum would only turn rancid in the end once it's open. I'm still well equipped in terms of cold-extracted rapeseed, olive oil and that block of coconut grease in the fridge.

That coconut stuff is pretty good once you figure it out!

So are the Euro farmers raising a lot of rapeseed this year to get in on the demand?

I don't use it much anyway, so I think a big ol' drum would only turn rancid in the end once it's open. I'm still well equipped in terms of cold-extracted rapeseed, olive oil and that block of coconut grease in the fridge.
Another good alternative for cooking/frying and deep-frying is peanut oil. Not sure about the price tag at the moment, though.

That coconut stuff is pretty good once you figure it out!

So are the Euro farmers raising a lot of rapeseed this year to get in on the demand?
That is going to take some time since rapeseed needs almost a year to grow and ripen. If they were smart, they started sawing rapeseed in early March when the first signs of a shortage were showing, but they would face a lot of pests during the summer season. Over here, rapeseed is usually sawn around August so it can be harvested in June/July of the following year. Sunflowers, however, would be a short-term option.

Another good alternative for cooking/frying and deep-frying is peanut oil. Not sure about the price tag at the moment, though.
I've only ever seen peanut oil in tiny bottles in the deli shelf together with Thai curry paste, rice noodles and stuff like that. So buying it in larger quantities doesn't look like an option to me. Also, you don't want to have that peanut flavour in each and every dish.

I've only ever seen peanut oil in tiny bottles in the deli shelf together with Thai curry paste, rice noodles and stuff like that. So buying it in larger quantities doesn't look like an option to me. Also, you don't want to have that peanut flavour in each and every dish.
If you have a Kaufland near you, it won't be a problem to get your hands on 0,5l bottles. I am sure, though that peanut oil is on the pricy side of things, then again what isn't these days?

Better to get yourself some of those expensive Italian frying pans and pots, with granite coating. As long as the meat has some fat of its own, you'll be fine. That's what I did, at least. Got a great deal at my local Kaufhof, now I am the proud owner of fancy Italian cooking wares.

20220430_184543.jpg

We talked about it so much that like the Pavlovian-Dog I went out and bought a bottle of the stuff. 3,49€ for 500ml, that's steep actually. I'll have to use it sparingly.