Politics Sinn Féin wins in Northern Ireland

WTF does any of the above have to do with politics in NI?
If you check out the comments under that Meisha Tate video, you'll find people who're almost sexually ecstatic and others again who're salty in their feeling emasculated. I'd say that, between the Guardian and the Daily Mail, this pretty much sums up the stance on Sinn Féin winning.

The Good Friday Agreement grants the people of Northern Ireland a referendum. Let them have it and see what becomes of it. Just so I don't get accused of wanting to see the UK break up, allow me to add that Scotland shouldn't get another referendum. They had their chance and blew it. The right of self-determination doesn't trump the right to territorial integrity. It's the same in Catalonia, where the separatists are protesting against being stopped in their tracks on the basis of a constitution which they themselves did happily ratify. Always read the fine print, folks!

On a more sobering note, I'm kind of wondering if separatist notions can even be entertained in Europe in the 21st century. I mean, back in 2014, didn't folks from other parts of the UK living in Scotland get a vote, too? Would an Englishman vote for Scottish independence? And what of residents with an immigration background? Presumably, many of them couldn't care less about century-old conflicts they never grew up around.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They had their chance and blew it. The right of self-determination doesn't trump the right to territorial integrity.

Yet, I cannot see how territorial integrity could be sustained without the will of the people in said territory. If separatist sentiment remains rampant, if the "local national" idea lives on, saying "Nope, looks like you and your descendants can't ever ask to become independent again because your grandparents were asked once, and they weren't that keen on the idea at that time" won't take anyone very far.

If you check out the comments under that Meisha Tate video, you'll find people who're almost sexually ecstatic and others again who're salty in their feeling emasculated. I'd say that, between the Guardian and the Daily Mail, this pretty much sums up the stance on Sinn Féin winning.

The Good Friday Agreement grants the people of Northern Ireland a referendum. Let them have it and see what becomes of it. Just so I don't get accused of wanting to see the UK break up, allow me to add that Scotland shouldn't get another referendum. They had their chance and blew it. The right of self-determination doesn't trump the right to territorial integrity. It's the same in Catalonia, where the separatists are protesting against being stopped in their tracks on the basis of a constitution which they themselves did happily ratify. Always read the fine print, folks!

On a more sobering note, I'm kind of wondering if separatist notions can even be entertained in Europe in the 21st century. I mean, back in 2014, didn't folks from other parts of the UK living in Scotland get a vote, too? Would an Englishman vote for Scottish independence? And what of residents with an immigration background? Presumably, many of them couldn't care less about century-old conflicts they never grew up around.
I'd hope potential independent countries consider the whole Ukraine thing. Also lots of little militaries, in NATO, are not helpful, in the event of a real war. That said there are a lot of Irish in the UK forces, and if Scotland left, a lot of scots would want to join the English Army, to see real action, not sit and guard Nicola.....

I'm wondering how Northern Ireland uniting with the Republic would change the Irish outlook on neutrality. As for Scotland, though, I don't expect them to secede from the UK anytime soon. Even if they did, it'd be as much in their interest as in England's that both countries retain a common structure to defend their island.

Even if they did, it'd be as much in their interest as in England's that both countries retain a common structure to defend their island.
Never underestimate the ability of the SNP to damage their own country.

Back