Video New Wheeled APC's

PEMM

Mi Major
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
Finland
I was about to post just about Patria but then I thought it would be good idea to have a thread for new systems that companies are marketing. Basically in Finland, and I imagine other countries also, is looking for new but cheap 6x6 vehicles to replace large numbers of old vehicles of similar type manufactured during cold war. Old XA seris is being modernized and that gives them more time:
https://www.tekniikkatalous.fi/uuti...nakin-70/2f3c86ae-e45c-3359-a5af-b3f1983bdc45

Patria 6x6
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Patria 6x6 with Nemo
Oscar Widlund, Senior Analyst, Land Warfare Platforms, speaks to Janne Räkköläinen, Senior Vice President, Vehicle Systems Land at Patria, about the Patria 6x6 fitted with the NEMO mortar system and development of the vehicle at DSEI 2019.

Protolab PMPV6x6 Test Drives
This is another competitor and Finnish army is currently testing them. Price is said to be around half a million a piece.

EDIT: And then there is GTP by SISU:

Last edited:
Does this qualify....
2300F915-997D-4278-8126-A5BF9FED73E6.jpeg

Not sure AMIR qualifies as an APC. Hard to imagine it been used on a battlefield in this role. Maybe some anti-terror/COIN operations. Looks more like MRAP than APC. A useful rule of thumb probably would be that anything with regular windows is probably not an APC.

A useful rule of thumb probably would be that anything with regular windows is probably not an APC.

I'm not really sure what you mean with regular windows.

Surely windows on AMIR is bullet resistant similar to many APC's.

EDIT: And I am not entirely sure about how exactly APC or MRAP are classed. For example when I google PMPV 6x6, it's stated to be "MRAP Protected multipurpose vehicle APC" :cool: And on the finnish site they state "Mine Protected APC".

Last edited:
I mean as opposed to portholes, periscopes/episcopes or windows with armor covers.

If you look at the new Patria 6x6 it doesn't have those armored covers on windows anymore.

I would imagine it's because protection on the glass has also improved. The plate that covered the windows on old 6x6 wasn't very thick.

If you look at the new Patria 6x6 it doesn't have those armored covers on windows anymore.

I would imagine it's because protection on the glass has also improved. The plate that covered the windows on old 6x6 wasn't very thick.

Good point. Then I guess we need to carefully define what an APC is as opposed to, say, MRAP vehicle. Or any other armor protected military/security vehicle for that matter.

Good point. Then I guess we need to carefully define what an APC is as opposed to, say, MRAP vehicle. Or any other armor protected military/security vehicle for that matter.

They are so similar that it's really difficult to define.

For example old Patria had good reputation in peace keeping missions, because it had good mine protection due to shape of the hull. While the tracked APC's of the era usually didn't have that level of protection against mines. Main emphasiz was on shrapnel and small arms fire.

These new vehicles really take mine protection to account in similar ways as MRAP's. However APC's have to be able to carry a whole squad, while many of the MRAP's are smaller and can't do that.

Back