archaeology HMS Endurance .. Ernest Shackleton's Ship Found

colin traveller

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
TAARB
As his contemporary Raymond Priestley put it when speaking of the three most notable explorers of the time: “Scott for scientific method, Amundsen for speed and efficiency, but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”

Not been to Elephant Island but I have been to South Georgia - the thought of crossing it having first sailed/rowed the southern ocean in winter gives me the screaming heebie jeebies and I've been a mountaineer all my adult life.

Not been to Elephant Island but I have been to South Georgia - the thought of crossing it having first sailed/rowed the southern ocean in winter gives me the screaming heebie jeebies and I've been a mountaineer all my adult life.
The name Endurance itself is rather serendipitous.

The word resilience gets thrown around nearly as much as agility, adaptability, and innovation.

Mostly parroted incessantly by people who understand none of them.

To me, endurance is a word that blows way past mere resilience.

I spent a lot of time learning about human physiology in extreme environments.

Sirius Patrol(Danish dogsled teams in Greenland) burn up to 10,000 calories a day on patrol, and the have the advantage of contemporary equipment and well developed TTPs improved over decades.

I struggle to see how they achieved such a feat, call sign complete….minus the ship’s cat.

Back